Jealousy of America - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2002, 01:07 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 AM
You are right Lilly- I know that there are decent Americans just as there are crap Australians, the thing that sucks is how gerealalities and or sterotypes can end up being a general concensus, I must admit that I was quite pissed off when I read DB9s original post, it was like a big slap in the face and I cant stand that kind of arrogance......

Old 08-21-2002, 01:14 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora
You are right Lilly- I know that there are decent Americans just as there are crap Australians, the thing that sucks is how gerealalities and or sterotypes can end up being a general concensus, I must admit that I was quite pissed off when I read DB9s original post, it was like a big slap in the face and I cant stand that kind of arrogance......
oh, i am sorry, i in NO WAY meant to ease the sting of his post. just making sure you all know that not all americans share his view.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:56 AM   #18
Kid A

Local Time: 08:47 AM
actually, aren't Australians the juvenial delinquents of the family, that baggage hanging around after we divorced England?!

and there is no other conclusion but to say that Bono was speaking thru the eyes of America when he penned "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car"
Old 08-21-2002, 02:11 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:47 PM
baggage
yeah
Old 08-21-2002, 02:36 AM   #20
Kid A

thieves and whatnot, or is it Thebes
Old 08-21-2002, 02:40 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yes and we're all hicks too, dont forget that part
Old 08-21-2002, 02:56 AM   #22
Kid A

no, I didnt say that, don't put words in my mouth
Old 08-21-2002, 03:43 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:47 AM

Ok Children, now listen Daddy just got in
First off do not take my analogy SO LITERALLY

2nd-Angela -
Who is John Howard?

3rdly-
No one need to suppose that I think America is superior to your country.
Heavens NO
We are arrogant yes

In the past we tried to superimpose our values too much.
I dont think this is the case NOW w/the fall of Communism ect

MY PT IS THIS-
With all the blessings, wealth and resources that America possesses we owe it to the rest of the world to lend a helping hand when needed. and when asked for-(I explained this to Lilly on AIM hrs ago..dunno why she forgot)..

If we are thanked -fine.
If we arent thanked that is fine as well.

Geneorsity and compassion SHOULD HAVE NO STRINGS.
Peace
Out-

(compassion just like from your daddy or fav uncle)
Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 03:47 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
2nd-Angela -
Who is John Howard?

bwahah u just proved her point
Old 08-21-2002, 03:50 AM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:47 AM
I thunk someone just proved OzA's point

John Howard = Prime Minister of Australia.

Prime Minister = leader from a country still attached at the hip to the Commonwealth.

Commonwealth = Countries inflicted with England's interfering.

Old 08-21-2002, 03:57 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 01:47 PM
lol @ worshipping Johnny. Ive never understood that about Americans either, why they get so religious about their presidents. No other similar country does it with their leaders. Supporters yes, worshippers no. Or at least not to the same amount.

I think certainly from some countries the hate towards the US comes from jealousy, but it would be from poor countries being jealous of rich countries and the US is the best and 'loudest' example of a rich country.

However, coming from Western Europe, UK or Canada or Australia etc it wouldn't be jealousy, or at least 99% wouldn't be. Theres nothing you can do in the US really that you can't do in any of those countries. just as 'free', just as democratic, similar cultures, similar lifestyles. Any anti-Americanism from those countries probably mostly comes from the perceived arrogance of the US and a real frustration with US foreign policy, which very rarely takes in the concerns or opinions of other countries (look how 98% of the countries and institutions around the world are saying 'no' to Iraq, notice how the US doesn't notice), and always seeming to believe that there is one set of rules for them and another for the rest of the world (if the US does pull a 'first strike' against Iraq, would they then stand back and let India do it to Pakistan, or China to Taiwan? And if the US said 'no' to either of those countries, should they have to listen to the US?)

Hope this doesn't turn into an Iraq thread.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:15 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Z Edge/Spyplane/Love Muscle,
Perhaps you need to consider the possibility that people who criticise some things about America (namely American foreign policy) are motivated by something other than jealousy.

I'm not jealous of America. I don't want to make my home country (UK) more like America. I'm not sure what Americans have that I might be jealous of. Sure I'd love it if U2 were in the UK more often but if I wanted to express that then I'd say "I wish U2 would tour near my home more often" not "I'm disgusted by America's involvement in putting General Pincohet in power."

I know some people brought up the fact that they've been accused of being anti-American, which is quite relevant to this thread. I don't really understand why people assume that if someone is critical of America it automatically means they hate everything about the country.

I'm sure you already know my views on America's foreign policy but perhaps you don't know that I spent an exchange year in the US because I wanted to learn more about the country, perhaps you don't know that many of my favourite musicians are American or that I love American TV shows or that I'm watching an American news channel right now. I'm not anti-American, if I hated America I wouldn't listen to American music or read American literature. I don't hate America, I just think the American government has done some very bad things in the past.

Tell me, when I say that Britain does something wrong, do you call me anti-British? When I say that I think Britain has behaved disgracefully towards Ireland for the last eight hundred years, am I anti-British? When I say that our higher education funding system is a disgrace, am I anti-British? Of course I'm not, and there are plenty of other criticisms I could add there, so why when I criticise America must I be accused of being anti-American?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:18 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
so why when I criticise America must I be accused of being anti-American?
Because to label you antiamerican is a safe way to downplay your arguments.

Being "antiamerican" has something shady, doesn┤t it?

Huu huu be afraid, we may as well be linked to terrorism

@ your F117A spyplaning our eurofighter
Old 08-21-2002, 04:21 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Re: Jealousy of America

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyplane

Jealousy of America, blah blah (subconcious, ingrained and subtle arrogance) boo hoo why doesn't anyone love us as much as we love ourself?..etc zzzzzzzzzz.

yawn.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:34 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:47 AM
i apologize for not being clear.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Ok Children, now listen Daddy just got in

MY PT IS THIS-
With all the blessings, wealth and resources that America possesses we owe it to the rest of the world to lend a helping hand when needed. and when asked for-(I explained this to Lilly on AIM hrs ago..dunno why she forgot)..

1. how derrogatory can you get? actually...i retract that question for fear of you trying to show me.

2. i didn't forget. if you remember, i never said "OHHH! ok, then you're SO right!! way to go!" i said that what you explained to me was what i figured you were saying.

despite my understanding (NOT agreeing or disagreeing, just understanding) it does not mean that i didn't find the post to be arrogant.