Janet Reno's 'Dance Party'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Reno Gets Her Groove on in Florida
Sat Jul 20,10:26 AM ET
By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Under flashing lights and a disco ball, Janet Reno put on her dancing shoes Friday night, energizing her campaign with a dance party.

Reno welcomed fans and voters to "Janet Reno's Dance Party" at a trendy nightclub, reliving the famous "Saturday Night Live " skit that parodied her days as attorney general.

"We have got to fight hard ? fight hard for all of the people and not some of the people," she said.

Wearing a simple black dress, Reno danced with club co-owner Gerry Kelly as red and white balloons bounced on their heads. The party was based on her January 2001 appearance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live."

Her cameo with comedian Will Ferrell, who portrayed her in drag, was memorable. Wearing a royal blue dress and pearls, Reno broke through a fake brick wall, danced the twist and shouted: "It's Reno time!"

The fund-raiser was billed as a way to attract young people in her campaign to unseat Republican Gov. Jeb Bush. Polls show Reno leading Tampa lawyer Bill McBride in the Democratic primary but trailing the president's brother by double-digits.

"It's an example that people can come together ? young and old," Reno said to a cheering crowd that waved blue campaign placards.

Reno, who prefers country icons Johnny Cash and Hank Williams to house music, often talks about the SNL skit in speeches. Campaign supporters say it shows that Reno is a down-to-earth person who doesn't take herself too seriously.

The $25-per-person event was held at Level, a popular hangout for celebrities and the assorted mix of youth and glamour who converge on Miami's South Beach to party.

Kelly said the response was overwhelming. Satellite trucks lined a street, and Kelly fielded calls from television and radio stations in Germany, Australia, Colombia and Venezuela.

"The buzz is amazing," Kelly said.

Outside the nightclub, Reno campaign staffers sold "Janet Reno Dance Party" T-shirts for $25 while supporters lined up near her campaign truck.

Across the street, four protesters held white placards. One read, "Enter only if you are foolhardy." Another had a picture of Elian Gonzalez next to the words "Reno es communista."

The club, decorated with red, white and blue balloons and bunting, has opened its doors in recent months to celebrities like Britney Spears and Jack Nicholson.

Officials said 1,500 tickets were sold, just shy of a capacity crowd.

Reno's main opponent in the primary dismissed the dance party.

"We have a weekly Friday night dance here at the headquarters," said McBride spokesman Alan Stonecipher. "That's good enough for us."

Bush campaign spokesman Todd Harris said the party was unique ? to say the least.

"Most candidates have to hustle to raise money," Harris said. "But this is the first time I have ever heard of someone actually doing the Hustle to raise money."

capt.1027116054.reno_dance_party_mh109.jpg

mdf74505.jpg

:D

reno_dance_02.gif

LOL at that picture Gina Marie.

I don't live in Flordia, but I guess I would want Jeb Bush to win the election.

I do hope Ms. Reno's health holds up. I suspect this was also a way to show folks she is healthy and to dismiss her fainting episodes she has had, as if to say she can dance so she must be in good health.

I certainly hope her health holds up too. I didn't mean any disrespect towards her..just trying to inject a little humor maybe into this forum :wink:

I think it's great that she has such a sense of humor about herself, and I admire her courage dealing w/ Parkinson's. My grandmother had that, and eventually passed away from it. I was very young, but I still could see the horrible effects of that disease.

I saw this mentioned on the O'Reilly Factor's most ridiculous item a few episodes ago (the only political show I will watch since he seems to be the only guy who can debate and stay a gentleman, regardless of his or others' views).

it IS kinda funny though :D

Gina that's hilarious!!! (who knew!?)

That SNL skit was a scream....Will Farrell being Janet Reno, and the real Janet Reno comes crashing through the wall...and they're both in the same blue suit and are pretty much the same size, LOL!!! (she's a big girl)

anyone know if that clip is on the web somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom