Jane Fonda Talks About Vietnam - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Jane Fonda Talks About Vietnam

I know, probably no one cares ..but she's on 60 Minutes Sunday

(CBS) Jane Fonda has no regrets about her trip to North Vietnam in 1972 - with one big exception: her visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site used to shoot down U.S. pilots.

She says her appearance there, which earned her the epithet "Hanoi Jane," was a "betrayal" of the U.S. military, its soldiers and "the country that gave me privilege."

She regards the event as one of the biggest mistakes of her life. Fonda speaks to Lesley Stahl in her first interview about her upcoming autobiography, "Jane Fonda: My Life So Far," for a 60 Minutes report to be broadcast Sunday, April 3, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.


"The image of Jane Fonda, Barbarella, Henry Fonda's daughter...sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal...the largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine," says Fonda.

She does not regret, however, visiting the enemy capital, Hanoi, or being photographed with American prisoners of war there, despite the propaganda value it afforded the enemy.

"There are hundreds of American delegations that had met with the POWs," says Fonda. "Both sides were using the POWs for propaganda....It's not something that I will apologize for."

Nor is she sorry for the broadcasts she made on Radio Hanoi, something she asked the North Vietnamese to do.

"Our government was lying to us and men were dying because of it, and I felt I had to do anything that I could to expose the lies and help end the war," she tells Stahl.

She went on Radio Hanoi at least 10 times, speaking directly to American pilots and criticizing their bombing of North Vietnam. Fonda insists she did not ask the pilots to disobey orders.

"I'm asking them to consider [not bombing North Vietnam]," says Fonda.

She wouldn't make similar broadcasts in Iraq today, however, saying, "I don't think it's the same situation at all. When I went [to North Vietnam]...we had been fighting in Vietnam for eight years. The majority of Americans...[and] Congress opposed the war. It was a desperate time."
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 04-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:44 PM
Bint, I believe that Lenin called her type useful idiots.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 04-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 08:44 AM
I can't say I like her much at all.
__________________
shart1780 is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 03:44 AM
ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) - The owner of two Kentucky theaters has refused to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the activist role the actress took during the Vietnam War.

Ike Boutwell, who trained pilots during the Vietnam War, displayed pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 outside the Elizabethtown Movie Palace to show his disapproval. The marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox, south of Louisville.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," Boutwell said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

Fonda has apologized for being photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, but not for opposing the war.

"Monster-in-Law" raked in more than $23 million last weekend as the top-grossing movie across the country, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc. In the film, Fonda plays Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, trying to stop Lopez from marrying her son.

Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident, said he personally thanked Boutwell for not showing the film.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. "There is no defense for what she did."

Boutwell also banned previous Jane Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 08:44 AM
I can't help but think that it's a bit silly to be penalizing someone for something they did 32 years ago. It's a little like that nonsense they used about President Bush and drugs in his past. The drug thing has nothing to do with why I didn't vote for Bush.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Jane is a terrific actress, arguably the best of her generation.

that's really all i care about.

although it's a shame that she gave the Right so much fodder for them to twist and manipulate the word "liberal" so that today any time the word "liberal" is used in political "discourse" -- or just in shouting heads on Fox -- the image of Jane hangin' with the VC is what immediately leaps to some minds.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 08:44 AM
Jane was the best actress of her generation. It's a shame that her political views got her vilified in some quarters, but that happens, when anyone stands up for View X, whatever it might be, they will get enemies and piss people off.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 04:44 AM
I think she is a good actress. I also think she is easily swayed by men.

Roger Vadim--Sex kitten era
Tom Hayden and like--"revolutionary era"
Ted Turner--Exercise mogul era

I'm not inclined to think she can take an independent view. Perhaps it is that porousness that makes her a good actress and lets her take on another character. I'm not saying that is the methodology of all actors, but it may have helped her.

I don't take her views seriously enough to be offended by anything.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) - The owner of two Kentucky theaters has refused to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the activist role the actress took during the Vietnam War.

Ike Boutwell, who trained pilots during the Vietnam War, displayed pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 outside the Elizabethtown Movie Palace to show his disapproval. The marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox, south of Louisville.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," Boutwell said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

Fonda has apologized for being photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, but not for opposing the war.

"Monster-in-Law" raked in more than $23 million last weekend as the top-grossing movie across the country, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc. In the film, Fonda plays Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, trying to stop Lopez from marrying her son.

Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident, said he personally thanked Boutwell for not showing the film.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. "There is no defense for what she did."

Boutwell also banned previous Jane Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."
I wish movie theaters would refuse to show certain films due to their utter crappiness instead of the political views of the actors. Judging from the commercials I've seen, "Monster-In-Law" would certainly fall into the "utter crap" category.
__________________
Bono's shades is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
dandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: styrofoam peanut commune
Posts: 4,310
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I wish movie theaters would refuse to show certain films due to their utter crappiness instead of the political views of the actors. Judging from the commercials I've seen, "Monster-In-Law" would certainly fall into the "utter crap" category.
__________________
dandy is offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,269
Local Time: 02:44 AM
That is stupid. I guess it's too hard for some people to just, I dunno, not go to the movie now? If you don't agree with someone's views, fine, that's entirely your choice, but banning their movie (or music or books or what have you) because of it is really dumb.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 05-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:44 AM
I wish everyone in Texas had boycotted Bush for trading Sosa.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
I also think she is easily swayed by men.
Roger Vadim--Sex kitten era
Tom Hayden and like--"revolutionary era"
Ted Turner--Exercise mogul era
Probably true, but she has tried to explain why she was like that-low self-esteem, etc. I think she said in her book she was bulimic for over twenty years. Maybe her troubled relationship w/ her father had much to do w/ the men issues, etc.

I think she's an interesting woman, I loved On Golden Pond. Don't know everything about the Vietnam issue, but I think it's ridiculous to ban her movie over it. I know I read a veteran went to one of her book signings and spit at her. There are deep wounds over that war I suppose that are nearly impossible to heal.

Monster In Law is brainless fluff, but I laughed. It's good to escape life for two hours. Jane did a good job, and Wanda Sykes is a riot. J Lo is lovely to look at.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 08:44 AM
I'm going to see this movie. I'm picky about movies, but I'd like to see Jane in a movie again.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com