Iwo Jima Vets Blast Time's "Enviromental" Cover - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Iwo Jima Vets Blast Time's "Enviromental" Cover

http://www.businessandmedia.org/prin...417171532.aspx

Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wow. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I agree with the vets.

"there needs to be a real effort along the lines of World War II to combat global warming and climate change"..... WHAT?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I can see what's happening here. A bunch of Republican veterans are angry that their battle is being used for "liberal causes."

I think they need to calm down for a moment, and take a look at what is being said, rather than the ideology saying it. I see absolutely nothing here that is inherently offensive to veterans. People make metaphors all the time, and if one believes that global warming is as serious as it is, then the effort required to combat it is certainly going to require a "World War"-type international coalition to do it. No single country or continent can single-handedly fix it.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Well, I can see what's happening here. A bunch of Republican veterans are angry that their battle is being used for "liberal causes."

No. It's a bunch of veterans angry over a stupid cause and a ridiculous use of a picture.

If I was in WW2, or if I was one of the men in that picture, aware of the immeasurable sacrifice of that war and the meaning behind that picture, and I saw it being used this way- to prop up a freakin' tree- I would be outraged.

Metaphor my butt. Use a different metaphor. This makes the global warming nutjob alarmists look even more idiotic. I didn't think it was possible.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
No. It's a bunch of veterans angry over a stupid cause and a ridiculous use of a picture.

If I was in WW2, or if I was one of the men in that picture, aware of the immeasurable sacrifice of that war and the meaning behind that picture, and I saw it being used this way- to prop up a freakin' tree- I would be outraged.

Metaphor my butt. Use a different metaphor. This makes the global warming nutjob alarmists look even worse. I didn't think it was possible.
Of course you're outraged. You're an unabashed Republican, and you probably think that global warming is a "liberal lie." Am I right? It's the perfect storm of ridiculous Republican rage.

For the record, my grandfather was an Iwo Jima veteran. I'm fully aware of the sacrifices they made.

This metaphor is hardly something to get outraged over. Not one person is belittling their contributions or memory.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
She's the One

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:

Metaphor my butt. Use a different metaphor. This makes the global warming nutjob alarmists look even more idiotic. I didn't think it was possible.
Dude, you are too easily outraged and frightened.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
stupid cause
One day I want to hear what the trees did to Republicans to make them hate them so much. It would be a fascinating story.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Dude, you are too easily outraged and frightened.
No.

I get angry when people start comparing global warming to the fight and sacrifice of an actual war, and I don't care if it's meant as a stupid metaphor.

I get angry when people say that global warming deniers are similar to Holocaust deniers.

I get angry when people say climate change, not radical Islam, is the biggest challenge we face.

I get angry when Al Gore says the planet will be scorching in 10 years and he is not challenged on it.

I get angry when all these "experts" try to silence the voice of skeptics.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

One day I want to hear what the trees did to Republicans to make them hate them so much. It would be a fascinating story.
I don't hate trees. I'm just a skeptic.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Is the ginormously huge ice shelf collapse real or fake?

Answer this:

In the middle of the night, a man throws a pile of trash on your front lawn. It's a big steaming pile of God knows what and it's killing your grass as well the neighbor's cat who just ate its mysterious contents.

Are you going to clean it up, or let it fester?

The earth is warming up, Republican or Democrat doesn't matter in this case (I'm not either one, in fact). It might not even be our fault if you want to think that way, but it's better to stop this problem before we face even more consequences.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I get angry when people start comparing global warming to the fight and sacrifice of an actual war, and I don't care if it's meant as a stupid metaphor.
Considering this is the only comparison you've ever seen like this, I would consider this a cop out.

Quote:
I get angry when people say that global warming deniers are similar to Holocaust deniers.
Get your science together. That will be the way to get rid of this one.

Quote:
I get angry when people say climate change, not radical Islam, is the biggest challenge we face.

Not everything will go according to the GOP playbook in life.

Quote:
I get angry when Al Gore says the planet will be scorching in 10 years and he is not challenged on it.

I get angry when all these "experts" try to silence the voice of skeptics.
Well, now we know that veterans and Iwo Jima have nothing to do with your outrage. The least you can do is owe up to it next time.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Get your science together. That will be the way to get rid of this one.
No thanks. I've already done enough research to know better than to fall for the nonsense. I've seen plenty of science suggesting otherwise. That's the problem. Not enough people are doing actual research and making up their own minds.

Quote:
Well, now we know that veterans and Iwo Jima have nothing to do with your outrage. The least you can do is owe up to it next time.
Excuse me?

Tell me- what do you think is a bigger threat to our way of life? Climate change or terrorism?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
No thanks. I've already done enough research to know better than to fall for the nonsense. I've seen plenty of science suggesting otherwise. That's the problem. Not enough people are doing actual research and making up their own minds.
Mind sharing that research then?

Quote:
Tell me- what do you think is a bigger threat to our way of life? Climate change or terrorism?
Tell me--do you go through life with such vehement dualism all the time? Is everything "either or"?

It does seem pretty clear, though, that if the solution to a problem doesn't involve the military, we're not exactly interested. Both are considerable challenges that our world faces. If the most dire predictions of global warming ever came true, then conditions of famine and poverty would most certainly not help the war on terror.

Of course, since you don't think climate change exists, why are we even having this discussion?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I too am curious to see this research you speak of. Most of my engineer friends even agree that renewable energy is the way to go.

I'm honestly thinking the denial of global warming is purely an American idea...based on my own personal experience of course. I've stayed in villages and "projects" in different countries, and even they are educating their youth about the environment and making eco-friendly decisions. Why such a minor percentage of the population refuse to consider what the rest of the world is saying is beyond me.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

Why such a minor percentage of the population refuse to consider what the rest of the world is saying is beyond me.
Because "we" (ie. many in the US) don't want to change our lifestyle at all. That's why.