Ive come full circle on an issue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:
Iunderstand that...because the article was written two years ago. The practice has transferred to these according to the health teachers.

I didn't know that. Seems like those would be hard to snap though :huh:.

kids are weird.

Has anyone received their One wristbands yet? I got an e-mail on April 8th which said they were being delivered priority mail, I still haven't received them

MrsSpringsteen said:
Has anyone received their One wristbands yet? I got an e-mail on April 8th which said they were being delivered priority mail, I still haven't received them

Mrs. Springsteen I got the same email. I'm a tad frustrated because I ordered 20 of these one bracelets on February 28th!! :(

MrsSpringsteen said:

I got my email on April 6th and still haven't received anything :(

I'd say this is pretty fantastic, I don't care why people are wearing them when this kind of money is being raised

By Sal Ruibal, USA TODAY Fri May 13

How ubiquitous are those bright yellow Livestrong bracelets? When the campaign for cancer survivors hits the one-year mark Tuesday, Nike officials predict 50 million of the $1 bracelets will have been sold. That's one for every six Americans or the entire populations of New York, Florida and Illinois.

When Nike and the Lance Armstrong Foundation planned the Livestrong campaign, their revenue projection was $6 million: a $1 million donation from the sports brand and an additional $5 million in guaranteed bracelet sales. The foundation was created in 1996 by the cyclist after he survived testicular cancer.

"When I heard that Nike was making 5 million of them, I was a little skeptical," Armstrong says. "I figured we'd be shooting them at each other for years."

In its first eight years, the foundation raised $11.5 million. In the year since Livestrong was launched, bracelet sales and other fundraisers have brought in $50 million. The foundation keeps about 77 cents from each $1 bracelet after production costs; 81% of that is dedicated to educational and grant programs for cancer survivors and research, according to President and CEO Mitchell Stoller.

"This has been wonderful but also unexpected," Stoller says.

In the UK, the white wristbands say

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

It's the same campaign, as I understand it, just for some reason there is different name in the States to the UK.

47.jpg

I've had one since I first saw them in the UK back in January, and wear it everyday to show my support. I also have a blue Beat Bullying band which was a BBC Radio 1 campaign, which was first brought to my attention by... Bono!

They did a U2 day back in November just before HTDAAB was released and they got Bono to wear a band to show his support. How much he was into it I don't know, but I liked the idea in itself, it wasn't just because 'Bono had one'.

wbands_bono1.jpg

Ultimately, if it raises money for a worthwhile cause, and spreads the word, I don't care if people wear them as fashion accesories.

I don't like it when people wear bracelets. I feel that it's no longer about the cause but about being 'trendy.' I see those yellow Armstrong bracelets every where I turn. It's all the rage in the fraternities. It just kind of makes me sick that donating to a noble cause such as fighting cancer has become nothing more than a trendy way of getting a yellow bracelet that makes you 'cool.' It's sick.

Let people wear them as a fashion trend if they wish to - it does no harm does it? Like I said, if people are buying them then the charities are making money, so is it really that bad?

mtoreilly said:
Let people wear them as a fashion trend if they wish to - it does no harm does it? Like I said, if people are buying them then the charities are making money, so is it really that bad?

Exactly. Is it so bad that donating to charity's cool now? There are much worse things that people do these days that are considered "cool." Better to attempt to climb the social ladder by donating to charity than by other, worse means.

i used to be against outward signs of ppl showing who they chose to donate to.

i modified my thinking a bit.

db9

A heads up on the teens/jelly bracelet thing. Kids are also wearing two bracelets kind of intertwined as a way of expressing the "69" position. Man, you wouldn't believe just how much they know nowadays! At 11, my step-daughter has heard it all. When I was that age, I was still playing with barbies.:huh:

I think it's great that these bracelets (umm, like the ONE kind) are so popular. They are actually introducing charities and donations to younger people. I don't think there's anything wrong with displaying the bracelets, it's kinda your way of saying "See, this is an organization I am proud to stand behind". It can only bring even more awareness.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'd say this is pretty fantastic, I don't care why people are wearing them when this kind of money is being raised

By Sal Ruibal, USA TODAY Fri May 13

How ubiquitous are those bright yellow Livestrong bracelets? When the campaign for cancer survivors hits the one-year mark Tuesday, Nike officials predict 50 million of the $1 bracelets will have been sold. That's one for every six Americans or the entire populations of New York, Florida and Illinois.

When Nike and the Lance Armstrong Foundation planned the Livestrong campaign, their revenue projection was $6 million: a $1 million donation from the sports brand and an additional $5 million in guaranteed bracelet sales. The foundation was created in 1996 by the cyclist after he survived testicular cancer.

"When I heard that Nike was making 5 million of them, I was a little skeptical," Armstrong says. "I figured we'd be shooting them at each other for years."

In its first eight years, the foundation raised $11.5 million. In the year since Livestrong was launched, bracelet sales and other fundraisers have brought in $50 million. The foundation keeps about 77 cents from each $1 bracelet after production costs; 81% of that is dedicated to educational and grant programs for cancer survivors and research, according to President and CEO Mitchell Stoller.

"This has been wonderful but also unexpected," Stoller says.

:up:

i bought mine after the Philly concert.

white makes for a much better fashion accessory than does bright yellow.

;)

Back
Top Bottom