It's The Economy, Stupid - He Got The Message - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2003, 02:09 PM   #46
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

please fill me in... what exactly does being blind or having a heart condition have to do with this? blind people and people with heart problems can't be successful and self made? news to me...
ok, I'll fill you in
when you have a heart condition you "might" have a problem getting a job because employees are a bit hesitant hiring someone who is more likely to be sick a lot

one can still have a succesful career despite a handicap
but the percentage of handicapped people being able to achieve this is much lower than people who dont have this disadvantage

Quote:
if i make $30,000, and they take, say, 10%... that's $3,000 they're taking from me. if i make 3 million, and they take the same 10%, they're taking $300,000 from me. i'm still giving more money than those who are less fortunate than i, but i'm not giving at a higher rate. how is that unfair?
well, that isn't unfair
it also isn't unfair to ask from those who have a lot more to give relatively more back to society than those who don't have much to begin with

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 11-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Its important to remember that while most people making 500,000 dollars or 5 million dollars a year did so through hard work, its also important to remember that making that much money in the USA would be impossible if the USA was unable to defend itself and had not worked together as a society over several centuries to create an environment that made it possible for a person to make 5 million dollars in one year.

The rich indeed should be paying more in taxes than they currently do because because it is the environment that government and society created that gave them the opportunity to amass such wealth in the first place.

It is important that those that make less than 100,000 a year not be over taxed because they represent the majority of consumers and have a far greater impact on national economic performance through their consumption than those that make more than 100,000 a year or 200,000 a year.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:33 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:00 PM
oh yeah rich people work so much harder than the poor and working class, that's why they have more money . Nothing to do with the opportunities they had in life, the poor just need to get off their lazy asses!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:16 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:00 PM
It's Even Better Than Expected!!!

The third quarter numbers have been revised - upward by a full percentage point.

GDP Roars Along at 8.2% Rate

Quote:
WASHINGTON The economy roared ahead at an astounding 8.2 percent annual rate in the third quarter, the fastest pace in nearly two decades and a much stronger performance than previously thought. It raises hope that a long spell of lackluster business activity is finally over.

The revised gross domestic product (GDP), released by the Commerce Department today, was a full percentage point higher than the 7.2 percent growth rate estimated a month ago.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:24 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:00 AM
a face from the left
Old 11-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:00 AM

that is one sexy mofo..
and just think..
8.2 is not his shoe size...
its about the HUGE GROWTH of the economy..

hoo
hah

DB9
Old 11-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:00 AM

If the economy keeps rocking with numbers like the 3rd Q, the election of 2004 will look more like 1984 than 2000.