It's Official - America has gone to HELL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
The West and the Soviet Union spent a century messing up the Middle East between colonialism, the poor execution of the creation of Israel, and Cold War politics. Who is really surprised that it's turned into the bastion of fanaticism, unemployment, and stupidity that it is today?

Melon

Well said. Israel *shakes head* Well lets not go there in this thread...lol

Until this whole fight stops being about 'us versus them' or really when you "simplify it down" 'good versus bad' or 'christianity versus islam' THAT is when terrorism while subside (but obviously not go away, how can it in a world such as this?)

I think when you stand up and say you are 'fighting the axis of evil' and then go on to say God Bless America etc etc, you are inciting something in people who ordinarily might just roll their eyes and stop at that. Honestly it seems that religious people hold THEIR religion up in the highest regard and that it is a part of who they are, no WONDER when they get called 'the evil side' the "wrong" side etc etc, they gonna get all het up about it!

Oh and on the book thing, just because GWB and his administration have only read 3 books between them, doesn't mean everyone who checks out a book on a 'bad bad' man is preening to be their protege! I believe by "monitoring" thing, its just another scare tactic to an already frightened dumb animal know as the en mass of America (that isnt meant to be inciterary, but more an observation of the country as a whole)

I guess that America still isn't in hell yet

IT WAS A HOAX!
NEW BEDFORD — The UMass Dartmouth student who claimed to have been visited by Homeland Security agents over his request for “The Little Red Book” by Mao Zedong has admitted to making up the entire story.

The 22-year-old student tearfully admitted he made the story up to his history professor, Dr. Brian Glyn Williams, and his parents, after being confronted with the inconsistencies in his account.

Had the student stuck to his original story, it might never have been proved false.

But on Thursday, when the student told his tale in the office of UMass Dartmouth professor Dr. Robert Pontbriand to Dr. Williams, Dr. Pontbriand, university spokesman John Hoey and The Standard-Times, the student added new details.

The agents had returned, the student said, just last night. The two agents, the student, his parents and the student’s uncle all signed confidentiality agreements, he claimed, to put an end to the matter.

But when Dr. Williams went to the student’s home yesterday and relayed that part of the story to his parents, it was the first time they had heard it. The story began to unravel, and the student, faced with the truth, broke down and cried.
link

Crying like a little girly man hahahaha :wink:

^

I don't know why people do that. Attention I guess. But then to embellish the damned story is just so stupid. If you're going to make up something like that, stick to the same fucking story, you idiot! :rolleyes:

A_Wanderer said:
I guess that America still isn't in hell yet

IT WAS A HOAX![/SIZE ]:wink:

when i read first read this

it was a breaking point

i should have included

*if this is true*

there are policies and actions that the Bush administration has taken
that do support my contention that the country under this Administration
has gone to Hell in a handbasket

that said this story was really studid
from the get go

those of you that have blind faith in alls things W
and were justifying this behavior

get gold stars for honoring your loyalty oath

many times I stay away from sensational stories

with more time
the so-called facts, seem to evaporate

if this one put a little egg on my face
so be it

it may help my complexion
with time
i become more lovely:wink:

stammer476 said:

Excellent point. As much as some of us would like to believe it, the current administration is not "idiotic."

No, but it's amazing what Daddy's money and influential friends in the 'right' places can do.

IT WAS A HOAX!
Ahh. That's good to know. Certainly raised some interesting and ugly issues though, didn't it?

*seems to have 'Late Thread Entry Synrome'*

Last edited:
i'm glad it was a hoax

because it shocks and saddens me that more than one person in this thread posted that stories like these are the reason they no longer want to use public libraries.

i was suspicious when the guy said he needed to give his social security number for an inter-library loan. libraries usually have pretty strict privacy policies. a social security number is something our district makes it a point to never ask for.

Actually, the Social Security Number thing isn't that unlikely. Alot of colleges still use your SSN as your Student ID number, which you have to give any time you request a book even within the library, or to check your account. Our library site wasn't even secure, but we did it. :huh:

My college quit doing it about three years ago, but I know friends who still have to use it as their ID--and yes, have experienced identity theft as a result.

How did I miss this thread?! :ohmy:

Doesn't homeland security have anything better to do?? I wonder if they'll come knocking on my door because I did papers on Nazi Germany in my class. :|

U2Girl1978 said:
How did I miss this thread?! :ohmy:

Doesn't homeland security have anything better to do?? I wonder if they'll come knocking on my door because I did papers on Nazi Germany in my class. :|

You do know it is a hoax?

is this evidence
that this Administration
has sent the country to HELL?

it dose not look good

James Moore

Branded

by James Moore

There are times in which it is easy to be suspicious. We can get to that feeling fairly quickly if we even pay slight attention. I've been trying to get over this odd emotion for at least a year. I can't find any rationale for letting it go, though I want desperately not to have these thoughts.

This week last year I was preparing for a trip to Ohio to conduct interviews and research for a new book I was writing. My airline tickets had been purchased on line and the morning of departure I went to the Internet to print out my boarding pass. I got a message that said, "Not Allowed." Several subsequent tries failed. Surely, I thought, it's just a glitch within the airline's servers or software.

I made it a point to arrive very early at the airport. My reservation was confirmed before I left home. I went to the electronic kiosk and punched in my confirmation number to print out my boarding pass and luggage tags. Another error message appeared, "Please see agent."

I did. She took my Texas driver's license and punched in the relevant information to her computer system.

"I'm sorry, sir," she said. "There seems to be a problem. You've been placed on the No Fly Watch List."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm afraid there isn't much more that I can tell you," she explained. "It's just the list that's maintained by TSA to check for people who might have terrorist connections."

"You're serious?"

"I'm afraid so, sir. Here's an 800 number in Washington. You need to call them before I can clear you for the flight."

Exasperated, I dialed the number from my cell, determined to clear up what I was sure was a clerical error. The woman who answered offered me no more information than the ticket agent.

"Mam, I'd like to know how I got on the No Fly Watch List."

"I'm not really authorized to tell you that, sir," she explained after taking down my social security and Texas driver's license numbers.

"What can you tell me?"

"All I can tell you is that there is something in your background that in some way is similar to someone they are looking for."

"Well, let me get this straight then," I said. "Our government is looking for a guy who may have a mundane Anglo name, who pays tens of thousands of dollars every year in taxes, has never been arrested or even late on a credit card payment, is more uninteresting than a Tupperware party, and cries after the first two notes of the national anthem? We need to find this guy. He sounds dangerous to me."

"I'm sorry, sir, I've already told you everything I can."

"Oh, wait," I said. "One last thing: this guy they are looking for? Did he write books critical of the Bush administration, too?"

I have been on the No Fly Watch List for a year. I will never be told the official reason. No one ever is. You cannot sue to get the information. Nothing I have done has moved me any closer to getting off the list. There were 35,000 Americans in that database last year. According to a European government that screens hundreds of thousands of American travelers every year, the list they have been given to work from has since grown to 80,000.

My friends tell me it is just more government incompetence. A tech buddy said there's no one in government smart enough to write a search algorithm that will find actual terrorists, so they end up with authors of books criticizing the Bush White House. I have no idea what's going on.

I suppose I should think of it as a minor sacrifice to help keep my country safe. Not being able to print out boarding passes in advance and having to get to the airport three hours early for every flight is hardly an imposition compared to what Americans are enduring in Iraq. I can force myself to get used to all that extra attention from the guy with the wand whenever I walk through the electronic arches. I'm just doing my patriotic duty.

Of course, there's always the chance that the No Fly Watch List is one of many enemies lists maintained by the Bush White House. If that's the case, I am happy to be on that list. I am in good company with people who expect more out of their president and their government.

Hell, maybe I'll start thinking of it as an honor roll.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-moore/branded_b_13272.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom