It's Justice - NOT Charity! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
It's Justice - NOT Charity!

Eliminating poverty...

Eliminating Aids & Debt and allowing trade...

Giving 800 million people a chance to receive the basic care that we do - that is NOT CHARITY. These 800 million people deserve a chance to live. They deserve running water, food, an education and health care.

To pull out what I posted in another thread:

If you haven't already, please check out the intro to "Make Poverty History" campaign.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

After the intro, please notice the first thing that is mentioned.

We don't want your money.

Then, please note all of the organizations that have banded together to run this campaign. They scroll by on the bottom right corner. World Vision, Unicef, Christian Aid, and Save the Children are there to name a few. I bet you recognize more. All of these organizations do accept donations and do great things with the money they collected - but they are banding together to say that it isn't enough.

Charitable donations aren't what is needed to solve the problem. The issues need to be resolved at a government level to bring about change. Sending money to the individual organizations isn't making the difference.

And while I respect all of your rights to keep your charitable donations private - your voice is needed in this effort for justice.

we want you to repeatedly make it clear that 30,000 people dying unnecessarily each and every day from extreme poverty, is absolutely and totally unacceptable.

Would you deny for others
What you demand for yourself?

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die

Old 11-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Thanks BostonAnne. That's right, these people are not going to ask for your money. They are going to ask for your support. It's as simple as writing your political representatives and asking them to support legislation to help these people live in dignity. It *is* justice, not charity.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Refugee

I'm glad you agree verte. I started this thread to continue the conversation from the "OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA" thread.

The two posts from that thread initiated this thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
You can wear all the stuff you want - it would be far better to send money to the organization in need.
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
you have no clue what i do, charity wise. and you will continue to have no clue, because it's no one's business but my own.
While I responded to both of them within the thread, I started a new thread to address the subject. I feel that this issue is not charity, but justice.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
Refugee

I just found a link to this article.

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action..._040616_wallis

Bono's speech fits into this thread nicely:

Quote:
Bono spoke at the Africare dinner in Washington, to fifteen hundred of the capitol's leaders and media. "Excuse me if I'm a little nervous," Bono apologized, "but I'm not used to speaking to less than 20,000 people!" Then he spoke like a preacher.

"So you've been doing God's work, but what's God working on now? What's God working on this year? Two and a half million Africans are going to die of AIDS. What's God working on now? I meet the people who tell me it's going to take an act of God to stop this plague. Well, I don't believe that. I think God is waiting for us to act. In fact, I think that God is on His knees to us….waiting for us to turn around this supertanker of indifference.... waiting for us to recognize that distance can no longer decide who is our neighbor. We can't choose our neighbors anymore. We can't choose the benefits of globalization without some of the responsibilities, and we should remind ourselves that "love thy neighbor" is not advice: it is a command." I can hear the tones of Micah in the voice of Bono and also in Gordon Brown. Now at the beginning of a new century and millennium, I see a new generation of young activists coming of age and committing themselves to build global justice.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
New Yorker

How I love that man!

Boston Anne, as always, your committment helps us keep on keeping on!

SD
Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
I'm glad you agree verte. I started this thread to continue the conversation from the "OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA" thread.

The two posts from that thread initiated this thread:

While I responded to both of them within the thread, I started a new thread to address the subject. I feel that this issue is not charity, but justice.
call it what you will, it still doesn't take away from my opinion that i don't have to advertise what i do, be it giving money or a more hands on approach, and i'm insulted by people who insinuate that because i don't care to advertise what i do in neon lights that i'm not "doing my part."
Old 11-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Can i get an AMEN from my fellow Blue Crackers out there?
Old 11-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:26 AM
i think when bono said it's
a 'war on indifference' it clarified alot.

that's what the meat of the idea is. a war to do something.
it's against complancey and it's a war against arguing about wristbands.

in short its for all of us to shut up and do something.
period.

db9
Old 11-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow, db is on a roll today.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I normally don't screw with ribbons, bracelets and other symbols either. I just don't. I know alot of people who do. I see yellow bracelets and red ribbons all over the place.Wearing a white bracelet or red ribbon or whatever the hell in itself doesn't mean anything if you don't act on your conviction. Just having the belief isn't enough.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #11
Refugee

I stopped posting in the bracelet thread and started this new thread. The subject is:

Is helping Africa and other poor countries get on their feet..

Justice or Charity.

NOT bracelets.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I normally don't screw with ribbons, bracelets and other symbols either. I just don't. I know alot of people who do. I see yellow bracelets and red ribbons all over the place.Wearing a white bracelet or red ribbon or whatever the hell in itself doesn't mean anything if you don't act on your conviction. Just having the belief isn't enough.
I agree. Even though I am wearing a yellow wristband, I know and understand the cause, it's not just to conform to everyone else. Unfortunately most people I know wear them to fit in. Now that I'm 18 and will soon be independent hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to the causes I believe in. I currently do a lot of volunteering for Democratic Party stuff, I hope to do more.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #13
Refugee

Old 11-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
What's that for?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Yes! It's not about charity at all....it's about doing the right thing. I don't want to hear arguments about 'Well Africa is doing this soooo I won't do anything."

Bono put it this way.....if you are driving along and you see a huge car wreck with a person badly injured and you realize that person is a drunk driver....well you're still going to call an ambulance. No excuses.