It's Justice - NOT Charity!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just my two cents worth...

1. It is justice and it is charity and it is loving thy neighbour, it is whatever it takes to get people to do something and if the most they can do is write a cheque then thats what they do. One of the things I am hearing in all these posts is "What can we do?" in a physical sense, and, for many, volunteering to hand out leaflets or go to another country and help are pushing the comfort levels. Perhaps, though, someone could suggest some ideas for helping that people can then take on board. While it is easy for many to just wander into their nearest Amnesty branch (or whatever) for some that conjures up the ideas of protest marches etc, which may not be what they are interested in doing at all.

2 Bono and appealing to the masses rather than the politicans. How many times have we seen the B-man in the paper, magazines, on the telly etc with Clinton, Blair, Kofi etc. He is using his public profile to highlight these problems in the best way he can. He is famous and a rock star. He is also a contradiction to the mainstream media because he cares enough to continually get into these people's faces about some stuff that is pretty amazing. Lets face it how many of the other 30+ people that were involved in the original Band Aid have gone on to do what he has done and generated the publicity he has? To expect Bono to go door-to-door (while a dream in itself to the PLEBA girls) would not have generated the media interest or the public attention that he has been able to garner through his current methods.

3. That we are talking about these subjects, that people who are U2 fans want to do something, is a testiment to Bono's abilities. Look at it from the point of view that if only 1% of the population of each of the developed nations knows about the situation in Africa, its going to take a lot of talking about to get some sort of action going. So why not go to the top, why not just stomp into someone's office and basically blow them away with what you know and what you think should be done, and if being a rock star is what has given you the access then go for it. Being a rock star or an actor or a sports star is used to advertise everything else, why not a crises situation in Africa.

4. As an aside, saying that you need to get the masses moving before the politican will is not entirely true, as a lot of the work Bono has done, especially say in the US, has been the result of his and a few others lobbying all sides to get legislation through. In most democratic societies this is one of the quickest ways to get a result.

As Bono himself has said "... don't mean to bug ya...."

Last edited:
Thank you Tania. Excellent post!

I do think that Bono's work with the politicians has been very worthwhile, but I also think he's got them convinced and they are ready to act. I think the next step is to work on the people.

What can we do to work on the people? I'm being totally serious here when saying we should think of something collectively and just go for it....

I'm thinking now of the moment in the Slane DVD where Bono names of all the victims for the Omagh bombing. "29 too many", he says. Who's going to name off all these thousands of people who are being victimized everyday because of where they were born. Who's going to make sure we don't have to?

Let's put our heads and hearts together and try to think of something...

I totally agree Stars, to do "something" collectively would really put our "powers" to good use.

To be a little metaphorical for a moment, and to quote a little U2, "love is like a drop in the ocean", every drop in that ocean gives it the ability to change the shape of anything it comes into contact with... so imagine what we could change?

starsgoblue said:
What can we do to work on the people? I'm being totally serious here when saying we should think of something collectively and just go for it....

I'm thinking now of the moment in the Slane DVD where Bono names of all the victims for the Omagh bombing. "29 too many", he says. Who's going to name off all these thousands of people who are being victimized everyday because of where they were born. Who's going to make sure we don't have to?

Let's put our heads and hearts together and try to think of something...

Oh, stars you got Slane! I LOVE that concert.

I agree, naming the victims was very powerful. Unfortunately, naming them in another country wouldn't have the same effect. People wouldn't relate as much.

The media needs to be reporting this much more often. Perhaps writing letters to the media or to the editors of newspapers? Maybe a postcard campaign to the media?

BostonAnne said:
Unfortunately, naming them in another country wouldn't have the same effect. People wouldn't relate as much.

Oh I wasn't suggeting that, sweetie.

But I do think we should think of something to do to get more people's attention drawn to this and I think we could come up with something good if we put our noggins' together. :yes:

Just me again reminding ya'll to SEND YOUR LETTER to your elected officals today, if you haven't yet. In Europe? Write to Blair, since he's got the G8 chairmanship right now. In the US? Write your Congress Reps and Bush. In Canada? Write yer man. Sample letters and contact info on the Angel's website, and if you aren't on the list and should be, you can write Queen Bee and she'll add ya! :yes:

A few quick additional thoughts.

1. Bono has said before he'll "take it to the streets" if his beltway advocacy doesn't work. He needs to follow through on this. :up: As MLK once said, power concedes nothing without demand. The WTO, IMF and World Bank didn't even start listening until Seattle 1999....

2. It is clearly about justice, not charity, because of the ODIOUS nature of the debt. Wealthy western creditors have been making $$$ of off supporting some decidely dodgy dictators, at times with the full knowledge of the US and EU! This is not acceptable, and the odious nature of the debt is one of the main reasons why it must be cancelled. And don't even get me starting on interest or structural adjustment.... :mad: :rant:

SD

Back
Top Bottom