It's International Womens Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Let's talk about some great women in history and in the present, women you admire

Some of mine

Rosa Parks
Coretta Scott King
Susan B Anthony
Betty Friedan
Eleanor Roosevelt
Anne Frank
Harriet Tubman
Mother Teresa
Sandra Day O'Connor
Mary Robinson
Katharine Hepburn

Oprah-I don't worship everything about her or anything like that, but I can't help but admire certain things. Ditto for Hillary Clinton and Condi Rice.

Dana Reeve
Ali Hewson

I need to think of some more present day women..

Coretta Scott King
Rosa Parks
Georgia O'keefe
Mary Cassatt
you've got to add Ali Hewson to the list she got a lot to deal with.
the brave and courageous women defending our country!
Ann Frank
Harriet Tubman
my Mom
Women of Rock & Roll, thanks for changing the way rock rolls.

and to all women :applaud:

Oh, thank you so much for mentioning Mary Cassatt! She's my idol. I'm an artist and I want to be like her. She didn't let anyone tell her what to do, she just did her life the way she saw fit.
Other women I admire: Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King, Mother Teresa, Eleanor Roosevelt.

verte76 said:
Oh, thank you so much for mentioning Mary Cassatt! She's my idol. I'm an artist and I want to be like her. She didn't let anyone tell her what to do, she just did her life the way she saw fit.
Other women I admire: Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King, Mother Teresa, Eleanor Roosevelt.

Mary Cassatt was in the boys club before her time. She stood her own ground with a male dominated art world.

Besides the more obvious ones like Mother Teresa, Rosa Parks...

* Nadia Comaneci

* Ali Hewson & Adi Roche

* Anita Hill (saw her speak last year)

* several of family friends and relatives working in the Dutch underground during WWII

* Aung San Suu Kyi

* Eunice Kennedy Shriver (I think Special Olympics is so great!)

And for every famous woman named, there are countless others who lead, encourage and inspire in everyday life. A salute to all women who challenged me to be a better person.

Some of the women I'd name are already here, so I'll name a few from my own life who have touched and inspired me (thanks NBC :hug: )

Ma :heart: A class act, a friend, supporter and survivor

My Aunt Kaaren--soooo much wisdom!

My friend Anita--a single Mom who "keeps it all together", supporters her family and friends

Marie Brill, a colleague--at Africa Action, she is an organizer and public educator and advocate for Africa par excellance :up:

My cousin Pam, who daily supports her Mom through declining mental health :sad:

Lisa, my 1st English dept chair, who made sure I actually ate lunch during my first year of teaching :laugh:

And a "famous" one, Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic Worker's Movement :bow:

nbcrusader said:
And for every famous woman named, there are countless others who lead, encourage and inspire in everyday life. A salute to all women who challenged me to be a better person.

That's beautiful and so very true, thanks for replying

I'll add my grandmother who died when I was very young, she showed me unconditional love that I haven't known since and she was such a strong yet gentle woman

And all women who have been raped and abused

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom