It's Interesting... (An Observation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It's interesting that we Americans are willing to forgo our fundamental Constitutional rights in the name of national security and safety. (1st, 4th, and possibly the 9th).

YET we refuse to give up the 2nd Amendment.

If that doesn't say anything about our country, then I don't know what does.

thinking out loud again

It's an interesting observation, one that's bothered me for a long time.

I believe it to be one of the biggest contradictions of our society.

what's also interesting is that when the patriot act was on the senate floor, it was passed by a vote of 98-1, with russ feingold being the lone dissenter. now that it's election season, these same people who voted in favor of the patriot act now bash bush over it. that's interesting too

perhaps we should change the amendment to the right to arm bears... it would at least make hunting an even fight :shrug:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
what's also interesting is that when the patriot act was on the senate floor, it was passed by a vote of 98-1, with russ feingold being the lone dissenter. now that it's election season, these same people who voted in favor of the patriot act now bash bush over it. that's interesting too

It's amazing what fear will do.

Though not suprsing. Fear has caused some of the worst attrocities in history. Hitler rose to power on fear and the ability to stem those fears or at least redirect them into hate. Why should America be different from any other nation in this respect. The notion that it could "never happen here" is one of the most dangerous things that can occur in a democracy. No one in Russia in 1917 forsaw what would happen in the Stalin years but it happened anyways, heck most of the people in the Communist Party never saw it coming. Vigilance is key to democracy, and in a nation whose government is based on a careful balance of power to prevent tyranny at all costs I find it highly shocking that AMericans rolled over on this. Having studied early US history for a semester I can say for certain that the Patriot act would have caused a revolt in 1800 or 1850, there were parties dedicated to limiting central power and role of the state in people's lives. America has lived in the notion that it is the freest nation in the world so long that Americans can not imagine the notion of things being otherwise. This could prove deadly.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

perhaps we should change the amendment to the right to arm bears... it would at least make hunting an even fight :shrug:

Russ is one of the Senators from my state of Wisconsin. He is an excellent senator who isn't afraid to stand up and vote in a way that might go against the grain. :up:

Rono said:
btw, what is the 2nd amedment ?

The right to "bear arms" or guaranty a right to private gun ownership.

Not all Constitutional rights are treated equally. Some are fervently protected, others trampled, and some are used to invent new rights.

theSoulfulMofo said:
It's interesting that we Americans are willing to forgo our fundamental Constitutional rights in the name of national security and safety. (1st, 4th, and possibly the 9th).

YET we refuse to give up the 2nd Amendment.

If that doesn't say anything about our country, then I don't know what does.

thinking out loud again

I had a group of us government students point out almost the same point. It was something I hadn't given a lot of thought to before. There is hope for the future after all...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom