it's His followers I could live without - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #76
She's the One

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
No, they didn't strive to put down or defile anyone.
Or keep anyone in the margins.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #77
The Fly

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Well you shold really love them, because it's the only way you actually can reach God.
But please, don't get me wrong, I'm saying that if you really love God, you should Love every single creature He made, regardless their actions and their fanatism and their dumbness or whatever. If you love God, you should love EVERYTHING, whatever their flaws are...do you remember? "If you love the ones that loveth you, what would be your merit at all?"

Old 11-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:27 AM
John 3:17
"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

If we're supposed to be Christ like, and Christ didn't even come to condemn, why the heck are we doing it?
(Yes, I'm a Christian)
Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
John 3:17
"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

If we're supposed to be Christ like, and Christ didn't even come to condemn, why the heck are we doing it?
(Yes, I'm a Christian)
Are you condemining anyone? No, I haven't seen you condemn anyone. So why do you say "we"?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I have witnessed any Christian in this thread condemning anyone.

My Bullinger's Lexicon gives the translation of the verb "condemn" in John 3:17:

"to judge, ie: to form or give an opinion after separating and considering the particluars of a case"

You might well say that some of us Christians are condemning certain actions, but none of us have condemned the people who perform those actions.

Do you think there's anything wrong with condemning actions which you believe are wrong? If you knew your friend was cheating on his wife (and no, I'm not comparing homosexual acts to cheating on a spouse - I'm just using it as an example) would you not have the right/responsibility to tell him his actions are wrong?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Take a chill-pill there, 80sU2. I wasn't talking to you. I was making a comment about Christians in general. The thread is about the problems us followers have, which is a valid thread to post here.

No, I don't see a problem with telling people they may be going down a destructive path. That, in fact, is love. Along those lines though, what good does it do to just point people's sins out — especially when they don't even see things through the lens of the Bible like we do. It's worthless. I think we as Christians should be talking more about how we're all guilty of sin, and we all need forgiveness through Christ. In other words, I know this thread was probably started in reaction to Christians' comments on homosexuality. As Christians, what should grieve us more: the fact that someone practices homosexuality, or the fact that someone doesn't know the love of Christ?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Take a chill-pill there, 80sU2. I wasn't talking to you. I was making a comment about Christians in general. The thread is about the problems us followers have, which is a valid thread to post here.
You said "we", so I assumed you were talking about those of us (including yourself) in this thread. If that was not your intention, that's good. However, I am getting weary of people accusing us of doing things we haven't done - and none of us are condemning anyone.

Quote:
No, I don't see a problem with telling people they may be going down a destructive path. That, in fact, is love. Along those lines though, what good does it do to just point people's sins out — especially when they don't even see things through the lens of the Bible like we do. It's worthless. I think we as Christians should be talking more about how we're all guilty of sin, and we all need forgiveness through Christ.
Actually, most of the time, we do say that all sin and are in need of forgiveness. We are often accused of not admitting our sin, but se do.

Quote:
In other words, I know this thread was probably started in reaction to Christians' comments on homosexuality. As Christians, what should grieve us more: the fact that someone practices homosexuality, or the fact that someone doesn't know the love of Christ?
Aeon and I both have said that the reason we point out sin is to show people their need for the Savior, Jesus Christ.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You might well say that some of us Christians are condemning certain actions, but none of us have condemned the people who perform those actions.

Really?

Come on, pushing for a law against one "sin" and not doing anything about all the others? Why is this the case?

Because if CCs were consistent and they pushed for laws against divorce, obesity, adultery, not honoring your mother, etc they'd be making laws that would effect them.

That inconsistency is condemning, no matter how you slice it.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Really?

Come on, pushing for a law against one "sin" and not doing anything about all the others? Why is this the case?

Because if CCs were consistent and they pushed for laws against divorce, obesity, adultery, not honoring your mother, etc they'd be making laws that would effect them.

That inconsistency is condemning, no matter how you slice it.
I didn't say we weren't condemning, did I? In fact, I admitted that we are condemning certain actions.

You are yet to show me how we are condemning people.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Or keep anyone in the margins.
What do you mean by this phrase?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #85
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:

I didn't say we weren't condemning, did I? In fact, I admitted that we are condemning certain actions.

You are yet to show me how we are condemning people.
I just showed you, if you can't see that that's condemning people then I'm sorry.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And why not other actions? Why not lobby for the criminalization of divorce?

In the name of self-interest?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #87
She's the One

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
What do you mean by this phrase?
I'll be sorry I responded.....

Legally marginallizing people who are different than you. That's what you were advocating in the New Jersey thread.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

And why not other actions? Why not lobby for the criminalization of divorce?

In the name of self-interest?
Anitram,

I have said many other times in various threads, we ALL legislate morality. Each and every one of us.

Criminalizing murder is an example. Protecting innocent children from sexual predators is another example.

I vote my conscious and according to what I think is the best chance to build a stable, moral society in the eyes of God, using His standards as a guide and not moral relativism.

I would also like to note – I didn’t see anyone advocating the criminalization of homosexuality. What I read were arguments to not legally endorse homosexual marriage. There is a difference.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I'll be sorry I responded.....

Legally marginallizing people who are different than you. That's what you were advocating in the New Jersey thread.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I would also like to note – I didn’t see anyone advocating the criminalization of homosexuality. What I read were arguments to not legally endorse homosexual marriage. There is a difference.
Fine if you want to play semantics, then let's not legally endorse heterosexual divorce.

Seems to me that's the biggest threat to the sanctity of marriage.