it's His followers I could live without - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Gandhi said:

"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians; they are nothing like your Christ."

I think about that one often.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Gandhi said:

"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians; they are nothing like your Christ."

Gandhi's a cool guy.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:21 AM
If you don't like his followers then we should get rid of religion since we are all imperfect. Heck why stop with Christianity. I love Allah, but I hate his followers, I hate Buddhas followers but I like Buhdda, I like Yahwe but I hate his followers.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #34
She's the One

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Gandhi's a cool guy.
But he's burning in Hell.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

But he's burning in Hell.
That's true (Evidence is in the South Park Movie)
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
If you don't like his followers then we should get rid of religion since we are all imperfect. Heck why stop with Christianity. I love Allah, but I hate his followers, I hate Buddhas followers but I like Buhdda, I like Yahwe but I hate his followers.
Exactly.

That's why this is not one of his better quotes. It's yet another catchy-bumper-sticker-quality-one liner...and my, how we love those catchy little one liners!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Unfortunately, NonChristians are not only the only people who have disdain for Christians. It saddens me when I see Christians mocking, belittling, speaking poorly of, and ridiculing other Christians.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Exactly.

That's why this is not one of his better quotes. It's yet another catchy-bumper-sticker-quality-one liner...and my, how we love those catchy little one liners!

With due respect, it is not a one-liner and to suggest so is insulting.

When you consider the circumstances in which Gandhi lived, you would perhaps better understand. He saw very well what Christian imperialists had in mind in his nation and rejected it. We have no trouble now citing the British for their appalling treatment of Indians. Did Gandhi mean, every last Christian? I bet he did not. But the ones he dealt with, who professed their religion and at the same time disdain for his - very apt summary indeed.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

With due respect, it is not a one-liner and to suggest so is insulting.

When you consider the circumstances in which Gandhi lived, you would perhaps better understand. He saw very well what Christian imperialists had in mind in his nation and rejected it. We have no trouble now citing the British for their appalling treatment of Indians. Did Gandhi mean, every last Christian? I bet he did not. But the ones he dealt with, who professed their religion and at the same time disdain for his - very apt summary indeed.
But Ghandi was a man of peace. I doubt he showed any disdane towards the occupying british empire.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Exactly.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Unfortunately, NonChristians are not only the only people who have disdain for Christians. It saddens me when I see Christians mocking, belittling, speaking poorly of, and ridiculing other Christians.
I think there are a lot of "Christians" who do a pretty good job making jokes out of themselves.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Gandhi said:

I think that is very true in the cases of the people who strut around proclaiming their "Christian-ness" to all and sundry. I feel that if you are a good Christian (and this goes for all other faiths too) we are going to get it without being told.

I actually think the same applies in almost every case -- religious or otherwise. Everyone's actions show them MUCH more clearly than their words. I feel those who feel the need to constantly tell everyone what they are, are often showing something completely different.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I think there are a lot of "Christians" who do a pretty good job making jokes out of themselves.
I and other Christians have been mocked and scolded by many people on this forum; from a NonChristian, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. But to get that kind of treatment from Christians goes against how the Bible says we are to treat other Christians. Christians are told to love each other, lift each other up and support each other. Public statements, mockings and insults made by a Christian against other Christians do nothing to improve any situation and certainly does not show love to his/her brethern.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I and other Christians have been mocked and scolded by many people on this forum; from a NonChristian, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. But to get that kind of treatment from Christians goes against how the Bible says we are to treat other Christians. Christians are told to love each other, lift each other up and support each other. Public statements, mockings and insults made by a Christian against other Christians do nothing to improve any situation and certainly does not show love to his/her brethern.
You can love and still disagree with someone adamantly, sometimes that may come off or lead to mocking. But I also don't think God wants us to lift or support the hate, judgement, violence or ignorance that some do in his name.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
You can love and still disagree with someone adamantly, sometimes that may come off or lead to mocking. But I also don't think God wants us to lift or support the hate, judgement, violence or ignorance that some do in his name.
I agree with every thing you say.