it's His followers I could live without - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #301
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
My issue is clearly this.....

I do not believe homosexuality is a choice.

I believe that SIN is something we choose to do.
Amen.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #302
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
My issue is clearly this.....

I do not believe homosexuality is a choice.

I believe that SIN is something we choose to do.
I commented on that in my journal. I 100% agree.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #303
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
My issue is clearly this.....

I do not believe homosexuality is a choice.

I believe that SIN is something we choose to do.
Not all people choose to sin. Some don't even know what sin is, yet that doesn't mean they don't sin.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:31 PM
To sin, you have to understand that what you are doing is wrong.

You have to choose to sin.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #305
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Anything that is used in the opposite way than what God intended is sin. If you agree that God created humans, either through direct creation or even evolution, doesn't it seem that he intended man and women to be the ones who have sexual relations, since they are built that way? Isn't homsexual sex unnatural, biologically speaking?


i think this is a great point to talk about. i understand where this is coming from.

i ask you this: was a mouth designed for kissing? we kiss with our mouths, and talk and eat, but were they *designed* for kissing?

homosexuals have happy and active sex lives, and most of them would tell you that yes, indeed, they do fit together, that they are built that way. and to get a little bit anamotonical, men actually do have a G-spot (like women), only this spot can only be accessed through the anus. seriously. it's the prostate. so it seems to me that if we are to take into account notions of design and "fitting together," something like that must be taken into account.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
To sin, you have to consciously or subconsciously understand that what you are doing is wrong.

You have to choose to sin.
What is sin?

At its very basic meaning, sin is anything that goes against God's holy standards.

So whether you know you've sinned or not makes no impact on whether it was sin.

Now, ask me if I think God holds people accountable for sin if they don't know the difference between right and wrong, and you might be surprised at the answer.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #307
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


What is sin?

At its very basic meaning, sin is anything that goes against God's holy standards.

So whether you know you've sinned or not makes no impact on whether it was sin.

Now, ask me if I think God holds people accountable for sin if they don't know the difference between right and wrong, and you might be surprised at the answer.
Sin, in religions that believe in God, is that. If you believe in God, and are considered an adult (having received Baptism and Confirmation), then you are to know what is right and wrong under the eyes of God. If that is how you define it.

If someone makes an interpretation from the Bible that says, like Melon has pointed out, that there is no actual sin for the type of homosexuality that goes on today, then they do not believe they are commiting an act against God or God's word.

Thus it is not a sin.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
To sin, you have to understand that what you are doing is wrong.

You have to choose to sin.
According to my theology, we are ALL born with a self-centered nature. It isn't a matter of choice, it is our nature.

Only supernatural intervention can transform us into people that live for God and others.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #309
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


According to my theology, we are ALL born with a self-centered nature. It isn't a matter of choice, it is our nature.

Only supernatural intervention can transform us into people that live for God and others.
Meaning you have to make an adjustment in your original way to live for God and others.

If you don't believe something is a sin that you are naturally inclined to do, such as being homosexual from birth, you will not make an adjustment.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


Sin, in religions that believe in God, is that. If you believe in God, and are considered an adult (having received Baptism and Confirmation), then you are to know what is right and wrong under the eyes of God. If that is how you define it.

If someone makes an interpretation from the Bible that says, like Melon has pointed out, that there is no actual sin for the type of homosexuality that goes on today, then they do not believe they are commiting an act against God or God's word.

Thus it is not a sin.
It seems some are claiming that Paul is not calling out their “specific, twenty first century brand homosexual experience” as evidence that that Bible somehow supports this behavior. In my opinion, this is a great leap of logic.

By this same rational, I can justify ANYTHING I want to do sexually because Paul did not specifically call out the fact that adultery is much different today than it was back then, that I am bombarded by images that evoke lust, that I live in a post sexual revolution society, that I am always a few browser clicks away from pornography…etc.

Just because Paul did not call out Melon’s specific circumstance (which is still being debated), does not mean it is condoned.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #311
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


It seems some are claiming that Paul is not calling out their “specific, twenty first century brand homosexual experience” as evidence that that Bible somehow supports this behavior. In my opinion, this is a great leap of logic.

By this same rational, I can justify ANYTHING I want to do sexually because Paul did not specifically call out the fact that adultery is much different today than it is today, that I am bombarded by images that evoke lust, that I live in a post sexual revolution society, that I am always a few browser clicks away from pornography…etc.

Just because Paul did not call out Melon’s specific circumstance (which is still being debated), does not mean it is condoned.
Melon very clearly (and correctly) pointed out the differences there and how different they really are. It's not technicalities, it's a legitimate point.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #312
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
homosexuals have happy and active sex lives, and most of them would tell you that yes, indeed, they do fit together, that they are built that way. and to get a little bit anamotonical, men actually do have a G-spot (like women), only this spot can only be accessed through the anus. seriously. it's the prostate. so it seems to me that if we are to take into account notions of design and "fitting together," something like that must be taken into account.
I was going to address the whole "fit" issue, but you've done it much better.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #313
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


It isn't a matter of choice, it is our nature.
Then free will loses all meaning.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #314
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


It seems some are claiming that Paul is not calling out their “specific, twenty first century brand homosexual experience” as evidence that that Bible somehow supports this behavior. In my opinion, this is a great leap of logic.

That's what you got from all of that? Then you missed the point.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


Meaning you have to make an adjustment in your original way to live for God and others.

If you don't believe something is a sin that you are naturally inclined to do, such as being homosexual from birth, you will not make an adjustment.
That "adjustment" is faith - and through faith we are transformed into the character of Christ. (slowly sometimes).

It has nothing to do with whether or not I believe something is a sin or not. God sets the bar (the Law) - I don't.
We are simply born in a way that makes it impossible for us to meet that "bar."
Through faith in Christ, His righteousness becomes our righteousness. Over time, our behavior changes from wanting to please the SELF, into wanting to please God.
__________________

__________________
AEON is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com