it's His followers I could live without - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

If people condemned me because of who I am, I would by angry. I'm angry that some Christians condemn gay people. I have asked earlier in this thread - why?
And I have pointed out that none of us here are condemning anyone. We are condemning a certain action as sin. We have said that we sin, also.

Quote:
Live your life the way you see fit, but don't tell someone else they aren't as equal as you in God's eyes.
Who did that? Give me an example.

Quote:
Why keep a battle going that limits another's right to live in a loving, harmless way.
Most of us do not start threads against Gays. We simply defend ourselves when others make accusations and throw insuts at us.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #287
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

And I have pointed out that none of us here are condemning anyone.
This is your opinion, one I don't share.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well absolutely, contradictions is one thing, but calling someone disingenuous by saying they are playing a game of smoke and mirrors is uncalled for. I've pointed out plenty of contradictions from your posts and others, but I would never call you insincere.
Then please help me understand what is going here. This is how I am seeing the flow of Melon's posts:

- In one post Melon states FOUR times "Love is the fulfillment of the law” in his response to criticism about his liberal interpretation of specific Bible verses.

- This is followed by his quotation of Romans 13:8-10 – where Melon is inferring that unless we are motivated by love, essentially any conclusions we come to about Scripture is going to be self seeking (a concept I completely agree with).

It is difficult for me to see that someone who despises Christians can at the same time quote these passages to defend his view that we must be motivated by love in order to accept his interpretation. He has proven his own argument false in this very thread. Here is a summary of his argument and the conclusion that necessarily follows:

1) If you are not motivated by love – then your interpretation and application of Scripture is self seeking.
2) Melon admits that he can’t stand Christians (Hence, he is not motivated by love – but anger)
3) Therefore, Melon’s interpretation and application of Scripture is self seeking.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #289
Refugee

Local Time: 06:19 PM
AEON, I think it is pretty clear that Melon himself is a Christian and he hates that he isn't accepted equally as one. Please rethink your post to Melon and address it to all of us that agree with him and cannot be labeled by you as "self-seeking".
Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #290
Blue Crack Distributor

It seems to me that according to some, all Christians are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Thank goodness this seems to be a minority view.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
AEON, I think it is pretty clear that Melon himself is a Christian and he hates that he isn't accepted equally as one. Please rethink your post to Melon and address it to all of us that agree with him and cannot be labeled by you as "self-seeking".
Who in the world ever said Melon wasn't an "equal" Christian?
Man, the conclusions that get reached is astounding...and alarming...

If you in fact agree with all of Melon's posts on this subject, then by all means explain the contradictions I pointed out.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #292
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Who in the world ever said Melon wasn't an "equal" Christian?
Man, the conclusions that get reached is astounding...and alarming...

If you in fact agree with all of Melon's posts on this subject, then by all means explain the contradictions I pointed out.
I am the one saying that Melon isn't being viewed as an "equal" Christian. The fact that a homosexual is committing a "sin" that a heterosexual isn't committing by loving someone makes things unequal in my eyes. If someone is heterosexual, they automatically have one less sin to make in our world. This is unequal.

You are blowing out all of Melon's arguments because he is angry about not being thought of as an equal Christian (in my definition here as such) and saying he is self seeking. You seem to agree with his points, but make them invalid because he is self seeking and contradicting himself. I am saying to you that I agree with Melon and I am angry too that he is being thought of as a “sinner” and I will also say that "Love is the fulfillment of the law”. I have been making that point exactly in this thread. I am heterosexual - I am not self seeking. What do you think of his points made by someone who is not "self seeking"?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #293
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

And I have pointed out that none of us here are condemning anyone. We are condemning a certain action as sin. We have said that we sin, also.

Who did that? Give me an example.

Most of us do not start threads against Gays. We simply defend ourselves when others make accusations and throw insuts at us.
As I just posted, I am the one saying that calling Melon a sinner for being homosexual is condemning and I believe I just explained in my last post on viewing him as unequal.

You may think you are defending yourselves, but in my view - Melon is defending himself in his desire to be treated equally. I think a lot of people here feel that calling homosexuals "sinners" is where the accusations and insults start and thus you are on the offence in this constant debate.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
It seems to me that according to some, all Christians are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Thank goodness this seems to be a minority view.
Don't tell Jerry Falwell he is a minority!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #295
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

1) If you are not motivated by love – then your interpretation and application of Scripture is self seeking.
2) Melon admits that he can’t stand Christians (Hence, he is not motivated by love – but anger)
3) Therefore, Melon’s interpretation and application of Scripture is self seeking.
I can point out the same contradictions in your posts, 80's post(as I have to both), my posts, etc. the point is no one Christian is perfect.

Do you honestly not see the exageration in Melon's post when he says "he can't stand Christians"? If not, you've missed the whole point of the thread by miles.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

As I just posted, I am the one saying that calling Melon a sinner for being homosexual is condemning and I believe I just explained in my last post on viewing him as unequal.

You may think you are defending yourselves, but in my view - Melon is defending himself in his desire to be treated equally. I think a lot of people here feel that calling homosexuals "sinners" is where the accusations and insults start and thus you are on the offence in this constant debate.
Boston Anne, so your issue is that Christians call someone a sinner?

Christians say that everyone, including themselves, sins.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #297
Refugee

No, my issue is Christians believing that simply being a homosexual is sinning.

You can obey all of God's commandments - but because you love a person of the same sex instead of the opposite sex as your partner for life - you are sinning.

All of us, heterosexuals and homosexuals, can participate in sex in a lustful way and sin. But when you fall in love and have an intimate relationship with someone, including people of the same sex, it just can't logically be called a sin to me. I can't see the ultimate law of love in believing this to be a sin.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
No, my issue is Christians believing that simply being a homosexual is sinning.

You can obey all of God's commandments - but because you love a person of the same sex instead of the opposite sex as your partner for life - you are sinning.

All of us, heterosexuals and homosexuals, can participate in sex in a lustful way and sin. But when you fall in love and have an intimate relationship with someone, including people of the same sex, it just can't logically be called a sin to me. I can't see the ultimate law of love in believing this to be a sin.
Anything that is used in the opposite way than what God intended is sin. If you agree that God created humans, either through direct creation or even evolution, doesn't it seem that he intended man and women to be the ones who have sexual relations, since they are built that way? Isn't homsexual sex unnatural, biologically speaking?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #299
ONE
love, blood, life

My issue is clearly this.....

I do not believe homosexuality is a choice.

I believe that SIN is something we choose to do.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #300
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
My issue is clearly this.....

I do not believe homosexuality is a choice.

I believe that SIN is something we choose to do.
Couldn't have said it better. I think anyone who thinks they CHOSE their sexuality either needs to look up the word choose, or need to re-evaluate their bedroom.