it's His followers I could live without - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 04:22 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:16 PM
I've often said that sometimes I really wish Christianity would go back to the days of marking the "fish" in the sand.

I honestly think it would weed out many of those that mask relgion to justify their own demons.

A friend of mine once said if he ever started a church he would place an electric chair on the steeple instead of a cross, in hopes to remove the symbols and the posteuring. He hoped one day people could take the teachings and actually place them in present tense rather than the past...

Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
80s, I don't think you fully addressed melon's post outlining the various situations akin to homosexuality.

Because he's right on the money.
The reason I didn't address them is because the comparisons were not accurate.

While I have expressed my opinion that homosexuality is wrong, I have never said anything againt melon or any homosexual personally. I have never insulted them because of their homosexuality.

There is no comparison between (1) saying that committing a sexual act is a sin and (2)insulting/abusing a person because of his/her race.

Before my year's absence from FYM, I used to get involved more frequently in the gay marriage/ adoption threads. I quit because of the nature of the conflict that I was having with a certain person. We were arguing quite fiercely, and I became very ashamed of my role in it.

Since I've been back, I have steered clear of those issues, until I posted in the "New Jersey" thread. The only reason I posted in that thread was because the 2 other people who share my views were being bashed as if they were the reincarnation of Hitler.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

The only reason I posted in that thread was because the 2 other people who share my views were being bashed as if they were the reincarnation of Hitler.
Oh, come on...
Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The only reason I posted in that thread was because the 2 other people who share my views were being bashed as if they were the reincarnation of Hitler.
Oh, come on...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Oh, come on...
No, that is the truth. Some people were being quite rude to them, and I wanted to show some support for them.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No, that is the truth. Some people were being quite rude to them, and I wanted to show some support for them.
reincarnation of Hitler though? Let's not forget who made the first personal attack in there either. Equating someone's sexuality to polygamy or incest is a personal attack and was much worse than any rudeness they may have received.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

reincarnation of Hitler though? Let's not forget who made the first personal attack in there either. Equating someone's sexuality to polygamy or incest is a personal attack and was much worse than any rudeness they may have received.
I just thought I should clarify something, only because I do want people to get the wrong impression about my intentions in regards to comparing homosexual marriage with incest and polygamy.
My intention was only to point out there are other “possible” marriage scenarios that would need to be addressed once we start picking and choosing who can and can’t get married outside of the original concept of “one and one woman.”
I thought I made that clear, but I obviously did not.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Yet you were pointed out time and time again that your scenarios didn't work, because even incest can fall into your "one man, one woman" defintion, but you insisted on making the correlation regardless.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I just thought I should clarify something, only because I do want people to get the wrong impression about my intentions in regards to comparing homosexual marriage with incest and polygamy.
My intention was only to point out there are other “possible” marriage scenarios that would need to be addressed once we start picking and choosing who can and can’t get married outside of the original concept of “one and one woman.”
It was quite clear to me, Aeon.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I love God. It's His followers I could live without.

Melon
Melon, I must admit, I find this post heartbreaking. I am guessing that my posts in the NJ thread had at least some part in your reasoning to post this statement.

I am sorry you feel this way. I am sorry that you think of your brothers and sisters this way. I am sorry that I played a part in it. I pray that you can somehow see that what I say, I do say out of love for everyone who reads it – and for you. I realize how condescending and arrogant that sounds, but it is true nonetheless.

You do have a place in modern Christianity. Everyone does. All they have to do is claim it. I am quite certain God could use your mind and abilities to do many great things.

I think I recall you stating that you are a Christian. Please correct me if I am wrong. And by a Christian, I mean that you have accepted Christ. If this is true, please consider the following passage. This is not an indictment, but only a reminder. Much of our attitudes about other people can be changed when we stop trying to judge their motivations, and begin seeing them as God sees them: as hurting, struggling human beings that are trying to find meaning and significance to their lives. I know that many don’t like my Scripture quoting, but until I am actually banned, then I will continue to use it when I think it will add or clarify.
In response to your sentence that started this thread, please prayerfully read this passage from 1 John 4:

20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #26
New Yorker

Perfectly said, Aeon.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Melon, this thread obviously fits under the "frustration" categrory, and i don't blame you. Hey, good to vent every now and then.

I would hope, though, that you're not going through a "shit, i give up with these people" phase. Over the past six years, you have consistently lead this forum (along with others, e.g. Irvine) in fighting the good fight, providing excellent historicial/social/anthrolpological context on numerous issues (i.e. not just homosexual rights), and, on many occasions, changing people's minds with straight-forward rationalism.

Uh...that's all i wanted to say. I have nothing to say for/against people who follow...what's the proposed entity again?...oh yes, God.

I would disagree with you on your one comment: "I can perfectly see why many people take the easy road and become an atheist."

Easy or hard road has nothing to do with it. I would think, in the least, people arrive at their personal views of the universe after a thorough question/answer exercise (even after being introduced to said belief systems through a socialized-cultural-sometimes-imposed context, such as "being raised religious"), and live with their beliefs because it resonates as "truth" to them. The fact that some of these "truths" seem to be inconsistently implied (such as when they trample on inalienable human rights and civil liberties, even when you're supposed to love everyone), should result, I believe, in a reassessment or reapplication of the "truths" rather than a perpetuation of them.

But, hey, what do i know. I don't believe in God.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I understood as well. I only got involved (as I did last time) when it became clear that any challenge was being met (with a few exceptions) not with logic or facts, but with dismissive charges of bigotry or "shut the f@#k up."
Quote:
Equating someone's sexuality to polygamy or incest is a personal attack and was much worse than any rudeness they may have received.
Only if you disregard ALL the posts equating those that defend traditional marriage today to yesterday's segregationists.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Only if you disregard ALL the posts equating those that defend traditional marriage today to yesterday's segregationists.
You don't see the merit? Come on. I know you're a status quo guy, but honestly, you are still denying someone a right.

They don't compare, but nice try.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

but if you compare the arguments between today and 1967 or so, it's the exact same argument. goes against god, unnatural, etc.