It's Halloween, not a Fall Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Have some churches/Christians whimped out by using the term 'Fall Festival?'

It's Halloween!

The origin of Halloween is part of the history of the Christian faith.

Why can't we just be up front with it and put on our signs?

What do you think?

boo :madspit:

OK. As a Roman Catholic, to me the holiday "Halloween" is the day before All Saints' Day. It's time to honor the saints of the Church and pay my respects to all of the dead in general. I will be attending mass, as I'm required to do on any holy day of obligation. That's what I'm doing this Tuesday, actually I'll probably go to the vigil mass on Monday, I usually go to vigil masses on holy days. I'm not hiding anything. I would have gone to a costume party tonight but I'm not as young as I used to be and I can't believe I used to go to parties that started at 10 P.M, I can't do this anymore, I get too damn tired. The parties still sound cool, but I just don't have the steam anymore.

the iron horse said:

Political correctness gone mad, in my view. In the Republic of Ireland, which is historically a heavily Roman Catholic country, I don't ever remember priests or bishops having a problem with the 'Halloween' designation, although they had plenty of problems with issues like divorce, contraception, etc. You went out to the bonfire or went trick or treating on the Saturday night, then went to mass on the Sunday.

Last edited:
the iron horse said:

It's Halloween!

The origin of Halloween is part of the history of the Christian faith.

Why can't we just be up front with it and put on our signs?

What do you think?

boo :madspit:

I think it's just something unscruplous people do to keep the "faithful" frothing. It gives them power if there is always a wolf at the door so to speak.

The sensible people (of faith) ignore the twits.

I've been to some churches that celebrate the holiday in the modern day sense, by having costume contests and what not. And I've been to some churches that go out of their way to condemn the holiday and say it's a pagan holiday that shouldn't be celebrated by "christians".

Once again spells out the reason why I detest organized religion. Personal hate and beliefs get in the way of God.

Halloween is my favorite time of year. I am so tired of all the PC people who want to take the fun out of the holiday because it may offend someone. If someone is offended, then they should stay home and keep their doors shut.
In the meantime, I am going to watch spooky movies and eat candy.
Happy Halloween! :shocked: :crazy:

geez guys, whos trying to take hallooween away from you? i mean seriously, its not under threat here.

i predict a 'war on halloween' thread within days

This holiday did start out as a Celtic fire festival and was frowned on by the Puritans and their ilk. The ancient Celts called it Samhain (pronounced sow-in; I cringe every time I hear someone pronounce the "m" in the name) and it was believed that the souls of the dead returned. The Christian missionaries adapted it as a Christian holiday, All Saints Day, November 1. So that's why some disapprove of the celebration.

I'm celebrating Samhain / All Saints at my house with pictures of my grandparents on an altar. I'll certainly say a prayer for Rosa Parks and other deceased role models.
In an excellent utopian future fiction by Starhawk, The Fifth Sacred Thing, All Saints/All Souls/Samhain/Dio de los Muertes has merged into one community festival for the ancestors.
I love costumes, candy, ceremony, and a time set aside to remember those who have passed on.

Anu

As a Catholic, I never encoutered any anti-Halloween issues. My Church even hosted a halloween party.

My girlfriend teaches 4th grade and there is a child whose parents are keeping him home on monday because the class is dressing up and having a halloween party. I believe she said the family were Jehovah Witnesses, so not mainline Christians.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Once again spells out the reason why I detest organized religion. Personal hate and beliefs get in the way of God.

The ways of the world are not the ways of God. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD." Isaiah 55:8

Why does an attempt to draw this distinction become "personal hate and beliefs"?

As far as I can remember, the church I went to as a kid never had issues with Halloween. And I don't really understand why one would. It's a fun holiday, not worth getting all riled up about.

I remember having a friend back in Iowa whose mom was opposed to the holiday, though because of the reasons some churches are opposed to it.

Angela

Please remember that Halloween is an American festival and nothing to do with the rest of the world. Growing up Catholic here in Oz, we just had All Souls and All Saints Days.

Halloween was just something that occurred in American sitcoms.

Back
Top Bottom