It's Brittany and Maddona's Fault - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:29 AM
It's Brittany and Maddona's Fault

[Q]Girls expelled for charging boys to watch them kiss

CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL - Two Grade 7 girls were "encouraged" to leave their school after they were caught charging money for a public kissing session in the school cafeteria.
The 12-year-olds charged boys $5 to watch the lunch-hour show late last year.

The father of one of the girls said his daughter was basically expelled for her actions.

"She was thrown out of school," the unidentified man said after calling a CJAD phone-in show.

"She wasn't allowed back to school. She was told she had to go to a different school."

The man said the girl's parents agreed to get counselling for their daughter.

The students apparently got the idea for the kiss after watching Britney Spears and Madonna kiss during last year's MTV awards. [/Q]

Old 01-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
The Fly

Wow! I'm not saying its okay for the girls to be doing what they did, they're only minors- but expelling them seems terribly harsh. Why on earth wouldn't the principle call the parents in and together talk with the girls about it and why it concerns them. The extent of their punishment is draconian imho.

And hey, is a kiss between 2 women (Brittney & Madonna) really all that big of a deal in this day and age? Anybody remember the episode on Friends when Monica & Rachel did it to get their apt back?

Old 01-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #3

i don't care if they were kissing, the thing is they were doing it for profit. but i agree...expultion is rather harsh. i can't stand school administrators, they are so overzealous, they take 'zero tolerence' WAY to far, ugh harsh memories are coming to me.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:29 AM
they could have very lucrative careers in montreal with that kind of stuff.

but seriously, expulsion doesnt teach these two girls the lesson in self respect they would seem to be in need of.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
they could have very lucrative careers in montreal with that kind of stuff.

but seriously, expulsion doesnt teach these two girls the lesson in self respect they would seem to be in need of.
That would probably be where the couciling comes in....
Old 01-11-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2andPolitix
i can't stand school administrators, they are so overzealous, they take 'zero tolerence' WAY to far, ugh harsh memories are coming to me.
Administrators have no choice in this day and age......

lawsuits are hanging over educators head if they do not take action.....

As an educator.....in the elementary school....we have to cover our asses in dealing with children who pass love notes these days because they can be construed as harassment.

Would I like to be less overzealous....yes....do I have a family to take care of...two children of my own to feed....yes....Is it worth me losing my job over by not enforcing the rules....I think not.

Thank goodness so far, most of the problems I have dealt with can be dealt with easily and the parents have been supportive.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:17 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
lawsuits are hanging over educators head if they do not take action.....
Lawsuits by parents who spend more time on lawsuit than they do raising their children
Old 01-11-2004, 02:13 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Lawsuits by parents who spend more time on lawsuit than they do raising their children
Sad but true.

That was the one thing I hated when in school-there were so many things we couldn't do, or we could do...after we filled out some form or something, that is...for fear that some moron was going to file some lawsuit. Dreadsox, that whole love notes thing is so stupid-that's potentially harassment now? Gimme a break. What was it, that story a long time ago about a kid who got in trouble 'cause they kissed another kid on the playground or something? The big deal over that was ridiculous.

And the worst part is, if a parent who files a lawsuit wins, that really doesn't help for a school that may already be having some financial struggles.

Anyway, as for the point of this thread...yeah, expelling them was definitely rather drastic.

Angela
Old 01-11-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
LCK
Acrobat

Quote:

I work in an elementary school as well, and this statement is so sadly true.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Dreadsox, that whole love notes thing is so stupid-that's potentially harassment now? Gimme a break.
I wish I were kidding......

Parent A calls the office.....speaks to my principle.
Parent A complains of notes given to her child by another Child B.

Child B and Child B's parents get called to the office and a discussion about harasssment.

I get called to the office and asked how I am not noticing the notes
Old 01-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I am not certain they were expelled from the district...it appears they were moved to different buildings within the school system. Maybe I am reading it wrong.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #12
LCK
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I wish I were kidding......

Parent A calls the office.....speaks to my principle.
Parent A complains of notes given to her child by another Child B.

Child B and Child B's parents get called to the office and a discussion about harasssment.

I get called to the office and asked how I am not noticing the notes
As I've mentioned in this thread, I work in an elementary school too, and I'll definitely back you up on this. Its shameful but true- this kind of thing goes on more often than most people would believe. What we used to call 'kissing tag' when I was a kid is now sexual harrassment (we're talking 6 & 7 year olds here) and my neck is in a noose if I'm on yard duty and don't immediately put a stop to it...even then there are phone calls by the vocal minority. If my impulse is to give a hurt or sad or teary eyed child a hug (which I do on instinct ) I'd better hope its never interpreted as an inappropriate hug or I can kiss my career goodbye. Its sad all round.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2andPolitix
i don't care if they were kissing, the thing is they were doing it for profit. but i agree...expultion is rather harsh. i can't stand school administrators, they are so overzealous, they take 'zero tolerence' WAY to far, ugh harsh memories are coming to me.
Homophobia is still incredibly rampant, and now you can see how it affects non-homosexuals in perceived homoerotic acts. There are plenty of examples of this phenomenon throughout the world.

Had that been a boy and a girl, they probably would have gotten a slap on the wrist, and that is what is sad.

Melon
Old 01-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Homophobia is still incredibly rampant, and now you can see how it affects non-homosexuals in perceived homoerotic acts. There are plenty of examples of this phenomenon throughout the world.

Had that been a boy and a girl, they probably would have gotten a slap on the wrist, and that is what is sad.

Melon
In general I would agree with you but in this case I disagree.....

The charging probably had a lot to do with it.

Recently administrators here in our area in MA were ripped for not handling two heterosexual children having oral sex on a bus harsh enough which would seem to indicate that the public is not particulary happy about sexual activity no matter what the orientation. And again, the focus of the problem became the administrators handling of the case, and not the behavior of the children.

The charging money to view adds a new element into it.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:

Yep......that's too true.