it's been 30 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
i know this is a very inflamatory topic, but IMO, this is a VERY sad anniversary in U.S. politics: the Roe vs. Wade decision. Hard to believe it's been 30 years. I won't expound on the good, the bad, or the ugly about the topic, but the facts are clear:

- More than 43 million unborn children have been aborted. That's more than the entire population of CANADA.

- In one year alone, more children are aborted in America than were killed in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World Wars I and II, the Korean, Vietnam and Gulf Wars. Combined. :sad: :no:

But there is one more thing: what the enemy meant for evil, the Lord has turned to good: Norma McCorvey, the "Roe" in the lawsuit (and a member of my own church!), found salvation through Jesus Christ a few years back. :yes:

I think that everything happens for a reason, perhaps. Roe v. Wade is also the decision that first stated that the Constitution implicitly guarantees us a right to privacy. Of course, if Bush is trampling over privacy, I'm sure he'll stack enough judges to overturn Roe v. Wade entirely.

I do find myself saddened over abortion in its entirety. I've never fully understood why women have them in the first place, but I'm also male. I guess I never really *have to* understand. Part of me hopes that, someday, the ruling will merely be irrelevant; that people will stop having them on their own volition, rather than because a law tells them not to. Quite frankly, people will continue to have them--Roe v. Wade or not. It is my hope that all of us Christians can get beyond legal political wranglings, and attempt to solve the reason why women have them in the first place. *Only* until then will we be able to end abortion, and, at that point, legality or illegality will be irrelevant.

Melon

Discoteque, i totally agree with you these babies shouldn't be killed. People just have a hard time thinking of them as babies.

and what would we do with an extra 43 million people in the US? i can't even find a good job...but maybe one of these aborted would be really smart and start a company i could work for...

why does Bono not ever say anything about this? ;)

Can't agree with you more Melon. People need to stop trying to legislate people in to following their perception of Christian morality and start changing hearts one on one. I too am greatly saddened by those abortion figures. What is worse though is the way abortion is dropped by so many doctors as the sole solution. "Not sure you can handle a kid, abort!", "Worried about how this will affect your career, abort!", "there's a such and such percent chance of deformity, abort!". I'm not saying all doctors are like this but I have heard it time and time again. There is a mindset out there that threatens to devalue human life. Mindsets cannot be changed through legislation, only through calm dialogue and understanding. You cannot legislate a Christian society, only work to make a society made up of Christians.

I'm glad you brought this up, Disco. I've been wrestling with this issue for years now. And this is what I've come up with: I'm a Christian and I would never have an abortion for any reason. But I am also a feminist and I cannot believe that the government of the United States can even assume to be able to control a woman's body. Though I would never practice it myself, I have to stand up for a woman's body being her own. I will, however, work to change attitudes about abortion. I think a lot of Christian people get really hung up about this issue. Because there *is* such a dialectic, it's difficult sometimes to find a compromise. I've made my own compromise and I hope others can, too.

Peace.

I am against Abortion completely, but I dont think that the govt should take away a woman's right to treat her body she feels it needs to be treated. I do think however if the "woman" thinks that she is pregnant and she doesnt want it, its her responsiblity to take care of it before it becomes a fetus.
And if you are really wondering why my opinion is of this nature is because had the doctors made the decision, instead of my mother I would have been aborted.

I listened to a bioethicist's thoughts on this anniversary, and he had a few interesting points. From Scott Klusendorf:

The unborn differs from the newborn in four ways, none of which are relevant to its status as a human being. Those four ways are size, level of development, environment, and degree of dependency.

Size: the unborn are smaller then newborns, but since when has size had anything to do with the rights that people have? Men are generally larger than women, does that mean they deserve more rights? Is Shaquel O'Neal more of a person than feminist Gloria Steinem simply because he is larger? Clearly size isn't the issue.

Level of development: True, the unborn are less developed than newborns, but this too is morally irrelevant. A newborn for that matter is less developed than a toddler. A toddler is less developed than an adolescent. An adolescent is less developed than an adult. But we speak of all as equally human. Is a child of four, for example, less of a person because she has not yet developed sexually? It follows, then, that the ability to perform human functions is not a necessary condition for human personhood. Rather, a person is one with the natural, inherent capacity to give rise to personal acts--even if she lacks the current ability to perform those acts. People who are unconscious do not have the present capacity to perform personal acts. We don't kill them because of it. Nor should we kill the unborn.

Environment: True, the unborn is located in a different place, but how does a change in location suddenly change a non-human entity into a human one? Did you stop being human when you walked from your house to the car? From the kitchen to the den? Clearly, where one is has no bearing on who one is. A child in the incubator of her mother's womb is no less a child then the one being sustained by neonatal technology. Ladies and gentlemen, you don't stop being human simply because you have a different address.

Degree of dependency: If viability is what makes one human, then all those dependent on kidney machines, heart pace-makers and insulin would have to be declared non-persons. There is no ethical difference between an unborn child who is plugged into and dependent upon its mother and a kidney patient who is plugged into and dependent upon a kidney machine. Siamese twins do not forfeit their right to live simply because they depend on each other?s circulatory systems.

We can see, then, that the unborn child differs from a newborn one in only four ways--size, level of development, environment, and degree of dependency-- and none of those differences are good reasons for disqualifying it as fully human.

Hippy, he spoke of a conversation he had recently with a woman who felt the way you do (assuming I am understanding your point of view correctly). She said that she felt that killing babies was wrong, and that she would never have an abortion herself, but she thought women should have the right to choose. He asked if he was hearing her right: she thinks that it is wrong to kill babies, but it should still be legal to kill babies? She realized that by calling it a 'choice', she had glossed over that small detail.

Any thoughts, comments, comebacks to any of the above statements?

As I said above I'm anti-abortion, but I don't belive in legislation preventing it either. The ultimate goal should be to produce a society in which no abortions are performed. Now the woman in question may have meant what I just said, or that abortion only felt wrong to her and that it was perfectly alright for people who don't feel it is wrong to have abortions. I think in this day and age things have come full circle. People are afraid to speak their beliefs lest they offend someone. There is a huge gap between speaking your beliefs and ramming them down someone's throat or harming them. I quite frankly am very tired of being told that I'm sexist and trying to take away the rights of women to control their bodies when I say that abortion is wrong. I usually don't bring it up to avoid getting my head cut off and put up on a spike.

Yay discussion lol

I understand what you're saying, Beth, and I agree completely. I don't think that abortion should be practiced and I will encourage anyone who is thinking of getting an abortion to choose some other option. But here's where things start to get sticky... As melon said, the Roe v. Wade decision carried so many others with it... not only is it about abortion, it's a decision that's been carried through to freedoms for everybody: the right to privacy, the right to do with your body what you will, etc. When Roe v. Wade is taken away, then those freedoms go to. And it's THAT I cannot agree with. I'm against abortion completely for the reasons that everyone has stated so far, but I don't think the government should dictate what I should and shouldn't do.

hippy said:
I don't think the government should dictate what I should and shouldn't do.

For better or worse (usually better), they do dictate alot the things we should and should not do, ie, they say we have to pay taxes and we are not allowed to murder someone. But we still have the choice as to whether or not we will actually do those things. If we dislike someone, we can choose to speak with them about the problem, or choose to ignore them, or choose to ridicule them, or choose to physically harm them, or even choose to kill them. We always have those choices - some are legal, some are illegal. We haven't lost the choice when we make something illegal, we are imposing consequences for making that choice.

Something else that bothers me is the fact that our society places more value on animals than these babies. PETA has offered research laboratories $250K to replace their tests using rats with human embryos instead. The couple a few years back that gave birth to their baby in a hotel room, smashed it's head in, and tossed it in a dumpster, got a sentence of only 2 years, but it was actually less than that due to their early release for good behavior. Around that same time, a man in Wisconsin (?) was sentenced to 10 years in prison for killing cats. You all know that I am an animal lover, but this really disturbs me that we are furious with people who hurt animals yet are silent about the loss of so many lives to abortion (mothers *and* babies) each day.

bonosloveslave said:

For better or worse (usually better), they do dictate alot the things we should and should not do, ie, they say we have to pay taxes and we are not allowed to murder someone. But we still have the choice as to whether or not we will actually do those things. If we dislike someone, we can choose to speak with them about the problem, or choose to ignore them, or choose to ridicule them, or choose to physically harm them, or even choose to kill them. We always have those choices - some are legal, some are illegal. We haven't lost the choice when we make something illegal, we are imposing consequences for making that choice.

I would say this, when abortion is illegal (and was) what was a woman's option? What was the consequence for doing something illegal? Many women were forced to undertake EXTREMELY dangerous abortion operations. It did not stop the abortions from happening, it only made them more dangerous.

What I am saying is that, in my opinion, the government has no right to tell a woman that it's illegal to do something with her body. They can, however, make it safe for her if she has to do it. I also know that many women who have had experience with abortion clinics (both the people who work there and the people who've gone there for abortions) counsel the women in other options before they will do an abortion.

As I've said, I don't agree with abortions. I would never have one and I do not condone their use in any situation. But as a woman I also cannot approve a government that would take away my right to medical care (because that's what it is). I would rather have the right to do with my body what I know is best in a safe environment than be forced to have a "black market abortion" and end up dead because of it. There are always women who will have abortions, I don't think that this should be a taboo subject anymore. I also believe that not enough research has been done. Like with the AIDS virus for a larger portion of the 80s, the subject of abortion is highly controversial and hasn't been treated with the respect it needs. I think that a fundamental change in our society needs to take place before any woman would feel that she could raise a child instead of aborting it. And since that change can never happen the way things are set up now, I would rather that it be safe and that women have the ability, but also the responsibility, to take care of their bodies themselves.

I'm sorry for stirring up a controversy over this. I don't think it has to do with anything one religion or another says. The basic reason this problem persists is because not enough people know the facts about abortion, and no one seems willing to understand why women would have abortions in the first place. It's *those* issues that need to be addressed first, in my opinion.

This is just another one of the reasons I'm getting out of the United States as soon as I can.

Last edited:
I think the little egg changes the moment the little swimmy thing crashes through and gives it the fertilization that makes cells start splitting.

the women doesn't own anything, God does!

does anyone agree with me?

Yep, thirty years since women haven't had a coat hanger inserted into their vaginas to end a pregnancy. Thirty years that women haven't bled to death in private homes when they had abortions. Thirty years of women controlling their own reproductive systems. Thirty years since women have had the right to make their own decisions about their own bodies. Thirty years where almost every young woman of a certain age brought to the emergency room wasn't the result of an abortion she got at the hands of a person with a piece of wire. Thirty years of access to safe pregnancy termination. Thirty years of men not having a say in what happens to my body.

There is no debate on the need for safe and legal abortion. As one of my favorite sayings goes: Against abortion? Then don't have one.

the unborn are human. If it has a full human genetic code it is human. You'd think that would be plain. I find the notion that a fetus is part of a woman's body quite foolish and highly illogical since the fetus has a different genetic code from his or her mother. I hihgly doubt someone would consider fetus the same as say a surrogate mother, since it would share NONE of the surrogate mother's genetic material. Why then should a different standard be held for a naturally developing fetus?

Women will be making the choice anyway, unfortunately, that's an evil of life. I'm concerned that we have the right to make that choice for ourselves, and to make it a safe one.

I think the larger issue here is not the fact that abortions happen. We all accept that fact. At least for me, the issue is not so much that abortions take place. The issue is that both the religious and political conservatives have basically outlawed any discussion or wide dissemination of literature or any information about this.

I believe that education is the key to reducing the abortion rate. When women can openly discuss these issues, without being attacked for their curiousity and without being dismissed and denied information, then, and only then, will the abortion rate drop. In fact, it has been dropping since the early 90s. But the imposition of a few highly placed anti-choice advocates has greatly reduced the available information about abortion and has even deterred the research into this medical procedure which could provide valuable clues to act as a further deterrent. It is *that* kind of tyranny that I have to protest against. And I am concerned that the women who feel an abortion is necessary have the proper support and medical care to remain safe.

For me, it is not about a religious stance. I firmly believe in the life of a developing baby. I would never counsel anyone to undertake such a horrendous procedure. But as a woman I have to protest and declare that my body is my body. The government of my country betrays my fundamental human rights when it tries to regulate what happens to my body.

This is such a confusing issue for me. Personally I'm absolutely against abortion, as in I would never choose to have one. However, I'm in a position to make that choice - there are many other women who aren't and that's why I don't think abortion should be made illegal. What about women who are raped and become pregnant? What about women who know their partner will hurt them if they find out they're pregnant? What about young girls whose parents will throw them out of their home if they find out they're pregnant? There are always going to be cases like this - that's why although I personally don't agree with abortion, I think it should always be an option and government doesn't have the right to take away that option.

Instead, I think people who oppose abortion should concentrate on trying to understand why women have abortions and prevent them from becoming necessary (I realise that for many women, they get pregnant not because they're careless etc, but because they used contraception and it failed to work on that occassion.) rather than legislating against them. Maybe we should be thinking about why so many teenage girls get pregnant - perhaps it means that educating them to "just don't have sex!" doesn't work. Maybe instead it would be better to teach them "if you're going to have sex (although we suggest you don't) then please be safe". Maybe we should think about why women need to have abortions after being raped. Maybe as well as advising women not to walk home alone, or not to be alone with a man they don't know well, we should think about advising men that NO means NO in all situations, in all circumstances.

I think I'm just trying to say that instead of simply campaigning to make abortion illegal, perhaps people who are against abortion should think of ways to ensure fewer women want to have abortions, or there are alternatives for those who face an unplanned pregnancy and don't want to have an abortion.

hmmm...interesting responses....perhaps I can take this a step further...my thinking is that all these abortions (or the majority of them) would not have occurred had the responsible parties actually BEEN responsible, i.e., taken precautions to prevent an unwanted pregnancy (like...oh, I don't know, how about self-control and abstinence??? Both of course, now seem completely antiquated in this sexually-saturated "if it feels good do it" society). I feel that abortion, too often, is used as birth control, rather than a very last resort because a woman's life is at stake. And don't even get me started on the topic of partial-birth abortion. Talk about heinous. It makes me shudder. We can legislate the heck out of it...it's still WRONG. :tsk:

An interesting sidenote I heard on the radio recently: PETA is willing to pay a quarter of a million dollars to those who will use human embryos/fetuses to use scientifically for testing, rather than on ANIMALS. :rolleyes:

HOW DID WE GET SO UPSIDE DOWN IN OUR VALUES? :sad:

Discoteque said:
..my thinking is that all these abortions (or the majority of them) would not have occurred had the responsible parties actually BEEN responsible, i.e., taken precautions to prevent an unwanted pregnancy (like...oh, I don't know, how about self-control and abstinence???

Actually, I read recently that something like 82% of abortions were pregnancies that occurred in months where contraception was being used. I believe that statistic came from the Alan Guttmacher Institute (sp?), a think tank that deals with reproductive issues.

43 million children died, eh? Imagine how many women would have died if they couldnt get safe abortions.
I think there is a difference in thinking abortions are wrong and thinking they are wrong for you.

RavenStar said:
I think there is a difference in thinking abortions are wrong and thinking they are wrong for you.

This principle leaves you in a small box. If everything is relative, when can you speak up and say something is wrong??

nbcrusader said:

This principle leaves you in a small box. If everything is relative, when can you speak up and say something is wrong??

I like my small box
Just because something is wrong for me doesnt mean it is wrong for everybody.

RavenStar said:
43 million children died, eh? Imagine how many women would have died if they couldnt get safe abortions.

umm, not to take a side in this thing, but I feel I should point out that you're making a pretty broad assumption there. Unless you are willing to swallow the idea that each of those 43 million abortions were performed to save the life of the mother or that each of those pregnancies would have been attempted to have been terminated in the back alley, it doesn't really stand up. But the bigger issue here is the notion of utilitarianism. Which "death" is more acceptable? How many? If we put both sides on a scale and weighed them, ie. the greater good, would that make it right or wrong? I would tend to think that to reduce human life to a statistic is taking away from the dignity of it. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom