it's been 30 years - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2003, 05:43 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I can speak up and say it is wrong for you to impose your theology on my body.

Old 02-02-2003, 06:34 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
I can speak up and say it is wrong for you to impose your theology on my body.
A law to outlaw abortion is no more a theological issue than any other law designed to protect human life.

Again, the idea that a "theology" is being "imposed" on your body is a victimization of the issue.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:06 PM   #48
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Again, the idea that a "theology" is being "imposed" on your body is a victimization of the issue.
I'm not following you and your talk of "victimization." Haven't those who oppose the right to choose been talking about the little "victims" of abortion for years? I'm serious; how does me wanting to decide my own health care outcomes make me a victim? Please explain this to me.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:07 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 05:06 PM
I don't want to get involved in the debate, but I just want to jump in and count myself among the pro-choice.

I consider myself a very moral, spiritual person who acknowledges the sanctity and preciousness of all human life. I myself could never live with myself if I had an abortion, so I personally would never choose to have one. However, I never want to see the day where the coathanger becomes an image that has as vivid a meaning for my generation as it did for our parents' generation.

Further, believe in the seperation of church and state. Firmly. However. If I were to bring God into the debate, I'd say...it appears to me that God is pro-choice too, otherwise he would not have given us the choice in the first place. Just because he told us not to do it doesn't give us the right to run around taking other people's freedom to choose away.

Dot.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm not following you and your talk of "victimization." Haven't those who oppose the right to choose been talking about the little "victims" of abortion for years? I'm serious; how does me wanting to decide my own health care outcomes make me a victim? Please explain this to me.
The argument in favor of abortion is that the woman is a victim of the pregnancy and that denying her the ability to kill the unborn child is a form of indentured servitude.

Also, this is not a form of imposed theology. While our criminal law can be traced in large parts to the Old Testament, our society has been quite happy with the bulk of our criminal statutes as not being a form of forced religion.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:30 PM   #51
New Yorker

Woo Hoo Martha!

Seriously, I do believe a fetus (not embryo) is a creation. However that creation is totally dependant on its host.

My son was born 3 months early and after that I wouldn't be able to have an abortion personally, but would defend with my life my sisters right to have one.

The fight for reproductive rights is the main way men were able to control the lives of women for hundreds of years. Matriarchial society relied on herbs and potions to control reproduction. As patriarchial society et al Israel and later Christianity, ect. developed men these ways were lost.

RU486 should become easier to find. It provides a quick solution to a POSSIBLE pregnancy. By the way the birth control pill acts in the same manner. It also causes menstruation upon the stoppping the pills. So if you were taking the pill and an antibiotic and got preganant, when you started taking the sugar pills you would also slough off your pregnancy.

Mainly prevention of pregnancy should be the norm. I'm amazed at the number of young girls that could care less if they got pregnant and these girls have their babies. What a loss to our society for the things they might have contributed through furthering their education ect.

Education of human sexuality prevent pregnancy, early sexual activity, and STD transmission. Try telling that to Bush's soon to be favored abstinence AIDS programs.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:37 PM   #52
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

My son was born 3 months early and after that I wouldn't be able to have an abortion personally

Why?
Old 02-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #53
New Yorker

Because I wanted him so much. And he was part monkey (still hairy) and so skinny. They always laid him down in frog position - too funny.

It is more of a feeling of motherhood I had. I couldn't because I know the love I felt for that child and would for any other child I carried.

That doesn't dismiss a young women, too young for motherhood, from having that option.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:28 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

...abortion is that the woman is a victim of the pregnancy
A woman a victim of pregnancy?

You must be male.

I am male, too, and I am ashamed to hear that talk from one of the same gender.

A woman that wants to make her own decision if her child has to live, and this over a time span of three months, is neither a victim, nor victimizing.

Pregnancy is one of the greatest gifts on earth.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:44 PM   #55
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Or for a very young woman, rape victim. or incest victim it can be the greatest curse.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:47 PM   #56
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Or for a very young woman, rape victim. or incest victim it can be the greatest curse.
And abortion is a great way to keep it a secret.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:05 PM   #57
New Yorker

No, it is a great way to solve an additional problem. Besides, it is their lives that are in the balance, not yours, mine, or ultimately the father of the unborn. It is a personal decision and should be kept so.

edited for typos.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:07 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

A woman a victim of pregnancy?

You must be male.

I am male, too, and I am ashamed to hear that talk from one of the same gender.

A woman that wants to make her own decision if her child has to live, and this over a time span of three months, is neither a victim, nor victimizing.

I think you either misread my comments or have taken them out of context. Of course a woman is not a victim of a pregnancy, which you so properly describe as "one of the greatest gifts on earth."

The comment was based on the assertion that a law against abortion would be an imposition of theology on a woman.

This, of course, leaves one question unanswered - does an abortion "impose a theology" on the unborn child - a theology that deems the child a "non-life" or that permits the killing of a child.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:09 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Thats true, Scarletwine, I guess. I can only guess though.

My point was that if you are for free choice of abortion, it doesn´t mean that pregnancy is victimizing.

bonosloveslave: did you mean that as an argument? Start to think again, before you type, please. You´re not only throwing Hitler, slavery and abortion in the same category of crimes...

but also implying that abortion has the negative effect of keeping horrible crimes like incest and rape a secret.

I don´t think that keeping it a secret has to do with abortion, but with the evil ill mind of the raper and the child molester, and with the fear of the raped woman/ molested child.

Or are you trying to say that your potential thirteen year old daughter should "carry out" (sorry no dictionary) her pregnancy from a rape because you value the life of the baby?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:12 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I think you either misread my comments or have taken them out of context. Of course a woman is not a victim of a pregnancy, which you so properly describe as "one of the greatest gifts on earth."

The comment was based on the assertion that a law against abortion would be an imposition of theology on a woman.

This, of course, leaves one question unanswered - does an abortion "impose a theology" on the unborn child - a theology that deems the child a "non-life" or that permits the killing of a child.
Okey, I guess I have misread something. sorry, English is not my mother´s tongue.