It's Banned Books Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AEON said:

Ummm...Huck Finn has long been a favorite of the PC crowd to ban.

Also - Wrinkle in Time has a Christian Theme

Out of that whole list you came up with these two?

Huck, ok maybe you're right.

But Wrinkle? There are many of books that have a much more obvious Christian theme than Wrinkle. Wrinkle is banned for reasons very similar to the Harry Potter books because some feel it promotes magic and sorcery...

Muggsy said:
my questions are... who do they think they are to publish a list like that? ... who are they to decide what people should read or not?... what channels do they use to comunicate that ?

As far as I can tell the list I posted is a general list of the top books that have been banned/challenged, or people have attempted to ban them, at one point or another in history. The ALA just compiles it, they are not banning the books.

If you go to their web site they have more information there, it's quite interesting

These are the most challenged books of the 21st century. Challenges are defined as formal, written complaints filed with a library or school requesting that materials be removed because of content or appropriateness.

1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

2. "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier

3. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

4. "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck

5. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou

6. "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers

7. "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie Harris

8. Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz

9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey

10. "Forever" by Judy Blume

the 100 Most Challenged are here

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm

Irvine511: you know, i dislike Bush as much as you do, but, really, not quite EVERYTHING is his fault. i know there's a European tendency to isolate one thing about the United States, and then try and fit every explanation for a variety of complex behavior into this single cause, but it's not terribly good thinking.
alright but what i mean is, that there are growing tendencies in the US of influental moral religious groups. and these groups imo have a big influence especially on republicans and bush. so they go hand in hand. stop them and stop their blindness. otherwise you got some kind of status like we had it here in nazi-germany.

I remember not being able to get into Catcher In The Rye when I had to read it for class in high school, so I didn't read it. The next year there was a big stink raised by some idiot parents over it...so I checked that book out of the library soooo fast! I just had to read it then! :lol: The really cool thing is that when I did give it a go that second time I really loved it. :)

indra said:
I remember not being able to get into Catcher In The Rye when I had to read it for class in high school, so I didn't read it. The next year there was a big stink raised by some idiot parents over it...so I checked that book out of the library soooo fast! I just had to read it then! :lol: The really cool thing is that when I did give it a go that second time I really loved it. :)

Yes, the irony is that banning a book gives it greater publicity so more people will probably read it eventually than they would do otherwise. When the ban on Lady Chatterley's Lover was lifted it sold millions as a result, even though it's not as good as some of Lawrence's other novels.

Back
Top Bottom