It's All Jon Stewart's Fault

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Why Jon Stewart isn't funny

By Michael Kalin | Boston Globe March 3, 2006

The selection of Jon Stewart as the host for Sunday night's 2006 Oscars undoubtedly marks a career milestone for the aspiring king of late-night comedy. Unfortunately, however, the ascension of Stewart and ''The Daily Show" into the public eye is no laughing matter. Stewart's ever-increasing popularity among young viewers directly correlates with the declining influence of progressive thought in America. Coincidence? I think not. Let me explain.

Meet Joshua Goldberg, a fictional composite of the typical apostle of ''The Daily Show." Born in Newton, Goldberg attended Newton South High School where he played an integral role in securing the school's debate championship. His 3.8 grade point average and impressive array of extracurricular activities earned him a scholarship to Vassar, where he majored in political science and joined a Jewish fraternity. Throughout his formal education, Goldberg stayed up-to-date on national politics through nightly coverage on ''The Daily Show" and even led a petition to protest the genocide in Darfur.

Many of Stewart's die-hard supporters might use this persona as proof that ''The Daily Show" engages disillusioned viewers who otherwise could not be reached. This argument, however, fails to consider the ultimate career path of Josh Goldberg: Upon graduation in 2004, he accepted a prestigious job as an analyst at Morgan Stanley. Although he no longer follows Washington's daily political squabbles, Goldberg gives a significant annual contribution to the Democratic Party.

The tragedy of this portrait is not that investment banking corrupts young souls (although one could argue otherwise), but rather that the students who abandon politics out of a naive self-consciousness often represent our country's most idealistic minds. Stewart's daily dose of political parody characterized by asinine alliteration leads to a ''holier than art thou" attitude toward our national leaders. People who possess the wit, intelligence, and self-awareness of viewers of ''The Daily Show" would never choose to enter the political fray full of ''buffoons and idiots." Content to remain perched atop their Olympian ivory towers, these bright leaders head straight for the private sector.

Observers since the days of de Tocqueville have often remarked about America's unique dissociation between politicians and citizens of ''outstanding character." Unfortunately, the rise of mass media and the domination of television news give Stewart's Menckenesque voice a much more powerful influence than critics in previous generations. As a result, a bright leader who may have become the Theodore Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson of today instead perceives politics as a supply of sophisticated entertainment, rather than a powerful source of social change.

Most important, this disturbing cultural phenomenon overwhelmingly affects potential leaders of the Democratic Party.

The type of folksy solemnity brandished by President Bush does not resonate with ''The Daily Show" demographic. According to a survey by the Pew Research Center, only 2 percent of the show's audience identify themselves as conservatives. At a time when the Democrats desperately need inspired leadership, the show's self-conscious aloofness pervades the liberal punditry.

Although Stewart's comedic shticks may thus earn him some laughs Sunday at the Oscars, his routine will certainly not match the impact of his greatest irony: Jon Stewart undermines any remaining earnestness that liberals in America might still possess.

Michael Kalin is a 2005 graduate of Harvard College.

So what...the solution is to be Republican lite again?

I think the solution is for the Democratic Party to actually be relevant and come up with unique ideas to long-term problems, rather than seemingly getting all their "ideas" from hysterical news exposés. It's no longer an issue of image or presentation anymore. The greatest image in the world isn't going to mask the fact that they have zero original ideas.

Melon

You'd think a Harvard graduate would get that. Clearly he himself is not leader material with a sense of civic duty.

> "People who possess the wit, intelligence, and self-awareness of viewers of 'The Daily Show would never choose to enter the political fray full of ''buffoons and idiots."

Nice generalization...not to mention condescension. Maybe people would be inspired to lead, and less intimidated, knowing if mental and moral degenerates can make it to the top, perhaps others with more progressive ideas can also.

This writer interprets more meaning to the Daily Show than the Daily Show reps, including Stewart, do themselves. To them, it's just a funny show, done in a smart way.

I couldn't disagree more with this article. I think that The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are providing a valuable service in a time where many people have lost their trust in television news and rightly so. Yes, they use humor as a tool but there are very good points at the heart of these jokes. By using satire as a vehicle, Stewart and Colbert can say some pretty subversive things and we are in great need of people like them right now in this country.

What a bunch of utter crap.

Meet Joshua Goldberg, a fictional composite of the typical apostle of ''The Daily Show."

Note the term "fictional composite." To put it plainly, this guy made up his supporting evidence. And he actually refers to this imaginary character and his imaginary life path as if it somehow lends credence to his theory.

Well, I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm convinced!

:tsk:

Diemen said:
Note the term "fictional composite." To put it plainly, this guy made up his supporting evidence. And he actually refers to this imaginary character and his imaginary life path as if it somehow lends credence to his theory.
indeed.

this story is more truthy and less facty. :rolleyes:

jon stewart :drool:

I've never read such a load of crap in my life.

First of all, young people don't exactly need to watch The Daily Show to become disallusioned with the political process. The politicians are doing a fine job all by themselves of disallusioning people.

Second of all, as a daily watcher of TDS, I've noticed Jon Stewart isn't always above it all and mocking everything. In interviews I've heard him ask serious questions - or at least questions with a tone of seriousness underneath the humor.

I'm just glad that Colbert at least is still holding the line for good conservative values! I mean, he's serious, right?

Bono's shades said:

First of all, young people don't exactly need to watch The Daily Show to become disallusioned with the political process. The politicians are doing a fine job all by themselves of disallusioning people.

No shit, what could you call it? A form of generational myopia?

People have been disillusioned with the political process for decades and decades, if not centuries or more.

This editorial was complete tripe.

It was basically a full-on idealistic dissenting apology for the popularity of a show that points out the painfully obvious.

Worthless.

Calluna said:
I couldn't disagree more with this article. I think that The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are providing a valuable service in a time where many people have lost their trust in television news and rightly so. Yes, they use humor as a tool but there are very good points at the heart of these jokes. By using satire as a vehicle, Stewart and Colbert can say some pretty subversive things and we are in great need of people like them right now in this country.

Bono's Shades
I've never read such a load of crap in my life.

Second of all, as a daily watcher of TDS, I've noticed Jon Stewart isn't always above it all and mocking everything. In interviews I've heard him ask serious questions - or at least questions with a tone of seriousness underneath the humor

:up:

:love: Jon Stewart. Can't wait to watch the Oscars!

It sounds like we should be alittle more worried about our government WHICH GIVES JON STEWART THE MATERIAL HE USES!

The Daily Show fired all guns at Clinton during the day.

I watched the Academy Awards...I thought Jon Stewart was not acting like the Jon Stewart that got him the gig.

Also, this forum sucks in terms of member usage. Suck me sideways if I'd ever pay for some stupid options here.

This U2 forum is for mainly gay males and women. It really isn't about U2's music, just some stupid bitches.

Last edited:
theblazer said:

I watched the Academy Awards...I thought Jon Stewart was not acting like the Jon Stewart that got him the gig.

Also, this forum sucks in terms of member usage. Suck me sideways if I'd ever pay for some stupid options here.

This U2 forum is for mainly gay males and women. It really isn't about U2's music, just some stupid bitches.

Um, Free Your Mind is by definition: an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events.

Furthermore your equating gay males and women as some stupid bitches shows that you don't know the slightest about U2's music.

theblazer said:

I hope this was your last post....ever

theblazer said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Melon

theblazer said:

My nominee for this year's FYM Razzies! :D

:| :down:

theblazer said:

Who shit in your cheerios?

theblazer said:

Well, I am not even going to issue a warning for this one.

Last post in FYM that's for sure.

First-time Oscar host Stewart draws early mixed reviews

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - First-time host Jon Stewart drew mixed reviews for his Oscar performance, with Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper giving him two thumbs up and the Washington Post's Tom Shales urging him to "keep your 'Daily' job."

Some pundits predicted going into the live ABC telecast that Stewart, America's leading anti-establishment comic as star of cable TV's satiric newscast "The Daily Show," might prove too provocative for Hollywood's biggest insider event.

But if anything, Stewart's harshest critics after the show judged him dull, while those cheering his performance said he managed to strike just the right tone, comparing him to one of the favorite Oscar hosts of years past, Johnny Carson.

In one of the most scathing early reviews late on Sunday, Tom Shales of the Washington Post said he found it "hard to believe that professional entertainers could have put together a show less entertaining than this year's Oscars, hosted with a smug humorlessness by comic Jon Stewart, a sad and pale shadow of great hosts gone by."

Back
Top Bottom