it's Alito!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[Q]Bush Picks Alito for Supreme Court
AP - 10 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - President Bush, stung by the rejection of his first choice, nominated veteran judge Samuel Alito on Monday in a bid to reshape the Supreme Court and mollify his conservative allies. Ready-to-rumble Democrats warned that Alito may be an extremist who would curb abortion rights.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/supreme_court

[/Q]

pay no attention to the indictments behind the curtain.

not surprising... apeals to the conservitive right while also having the credentials that a supreme court nominee should have.

and he hasn't been strictly against abortion like many democrats seem to fear... the only thing he's really "fought" for was a spousal notification clause in abortion law... which i for one happen to agree with.

No "cronyism" charge available.

We can expect the abortion litmus test to be used.

From the initial comments, it sounds like the opposition wants to go Bork on this guy.

nbcrusader said:
No "cronyism" charge available.

We can expect the abortion litmus test to be used.

From the initial comments, it sounds like the opposition wants to go Bork on this guy.

you're missing the only question that matters: is Alito an evangelical christian?

i wonder just how well Bush knows his heart ...

nbcrusader said:
:rolleyes:

lather, rinse, repeat......

hey, i'm not the one who gives James Dobson veto power.

go re-read one of my Miers threads that was ignored ...

besides, if you're going to bring up the hackneyed "abortion litmus test," it is more than fair to also point out the "are they an evangelical Christian" litmus test.

the difference is, one violates the letter and spirit of the constitution; the other does not.

Survey the press and you will find multiple references to the "hackneyed" abortion litmus test.

Keep searching, but I doubt you will find the "evangelical Christian litmus test" outside the "Theocracy Watch" news sources.

nbcrusader said:
Keep searching, but I doubt you will find the "evangelical Christian litmus test" outside the "Theocracy Watch" news sources.

you mean news sources like the Washington Post and the New York Times?

"abortion litmus test" is one of those test-marketed, focus-grouped phrases the Republicans spoon feed to their followers through right wing radio, anorexic blond pundits, and Fox News.

you are right, though, the "evangelical christian litmus test" is new because it was initiated by the Bush administration that allows James Dobson and those Concerned Women for America to use the WH as a vehicle to enact their theocratic set of social values.

activist judges, indeed.

nbcrusader said:

Didn't Bork get a vote

and lose?

Will he be Miered?

taken out before even having Senate hearings?

probaly not.

this is a big step back for Civil Rights, womens rights.

and a pander to the extreemists.

Miers was the loss leader before the real sale...

Meaning Miers was paving the way or checking the temperature of the conservatives as to the lengths they were willing to go to get a conservative confirmed...

nbcrusader said:
Survey the press and you will find multiple references to the "hackneyed" abortion litmus test.

Alito was one of the top three choices that the Evangelical Christians tried to push Bush to choose. That's enough Litmus for me....Plus I heard it on NPR - outside the Theocracy Watch Teams.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9874588/

On gun rights, Alito in 1996 was the only appeals judge to vote against upholding Congress’ authority to ban fully automatic machine guns. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sarcastically described “Machine Gun Sammy” as a “perfect Halloween pick.”

Alito had argued for greater state rights in reasoning that Congress had no authority to regulate private gun possession.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, the senior Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, called it a “needlessly provocative nomination. Instead of uniting the country through his choice, the president has chosen to reward one faction of his party, at the risk of dividing the country.”

Conservatives, on the other hand, were ecstatic. Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson called the pick “a grand-slam home run.”

Gary Bauer, a conservative activist who challenged Miers nomination said that “at least now the president is having a battle with his political opponents and not with his friends.”

tackleberry said:

Alito was one of the top three choices that the Evangelical Christians tried to push Bush to choose. That's enough Litmus for me....Plus I heard it on NPR - outside the Theocracy Watch Teams.

Alito is Catholic - he would join 4 other Catholics on the bench.

But, keep up the theory!

nbcrusader said:

But, keep up the theory!

denomination isn't important so long as the evangelical line is towed.

Alito does this.

hence, his papist Mary-worshipping is acceptable.

nbcrusader said:

But, keep up the theory!

Okaayyy... but it still remains a fact that he was on the top 3 choice picks for Evangelical Christian groups - regardless of his catholocism, or anyone's catholocism for that matter. It's quite obvious what their influence is on Bush.

we have a catholic majority on the court -- pending his confirmation, there will be 5.

it's awfully white, though, isn't it?

and male.

Irvine511 said:
we have a catholic majority on the court -- pending his confirmation, there will be 5.

and male.

1 minority
1 woman

This is 2005....somethings quite "wrong" about this picture. This shouldn't be.

Irvine511 said:

and male.

Who cares? I think their qualifications and experience matter a lot more than traits (i.e. gender, skin colour) that they didn't even choose.

Could his family be trying to tell us something?

20051031_p103105pm-0080ajpg-717v.jpg

Glad to see my predictions are coming true.....:wink:

An excellent choice! I rather liked the first one, but this one will do nicely.

I wonder though, will there be a revolt in the street when he is confirmed.

He is Catholic...giving them the majority of the court....awful.
He is white....fuck that man....can't have a white.
He is straight....by golly, there are not enough gays on the court...
He is male...holy shite...can't have that.

God forbid he be a decent judge...someone Ted Kennedy himself had VERY high PRAISE for. Oh wait, he is biased....he is Catholic.

I wanted the woman....

Headache in a Suitcase said:
not surprising... a the only thing he's really "fought" for was a spousal notification clause in abortion law...

those kids are fair haired

and he is dark haired:scratch:

and mom has a sly smile

Back
Top Bottom