it's Alito! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

your use of the word "killing" is highly contentious. that might be your personal viewpoint, but while everyone would agree that shooting a woman in the head is killing, it is not the same with aborting a 6 week old fetus.
I made sure to restrain myself from using the term "human" because I knew it would spark more debate than I want to get into at this particular moment. I think the word "killing," however, is perfectly acceptable in this situation. Even at 6 weeks, a fetus is a living entity. Whether it's human or not doesn't matter. Distinguishing a living entity - be it person, animal, or microscopic organism - is killing. I don't think I need to sugarcoat my terminology when it's accurate.

Quote:

to be blunt: if my little sister were to get pregnant when she was, say, 15 years old, you can be damn well sure that i care much more about the quality of my sister's life and her being able to become into a responsible, healthy adult so that she can one day be a responsible, healthy mother than i am with a bunch of cells amassing in her uterus.

to extrapolate further: the best way to truly combat global poverty -- what Bono calls "stupid" poverty -- is to empower women to have control over when they do and do not get pregnant.
I don't plan on turning this thread into yet ANOTHER standard debate on abortion. I was merely pointing out that deep's comparison could be taken more than one way. Also, abortion being the best way to combat global poverty? Silly me, I thought getting food and supplies to the needy was the best way to combat global poverty. And anyway, I'd really like to think that we'd have a better answer to that than killing organisms who have potential to one day be human beings.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Silly me, I thought getting food and supplies to the needy was the best way to combat global poverty. And anyway, I'd really like to think that we'd have a better answer to that than killing organisms who have potential to one day be human beings.

it's not, though. the best way to combat global poverty is to educate and empower women.

i'm happy to let the abortion part end.

since there is much, much more to a SCOTUS nomination than abortion rights.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #48
Refugee

Quote:

it's not, though. the best way to combat global poverty is to educate and empower women.

i'm happy to let the abortion part end.

since there is much, much more to a SCOTUS nomination than abortion rights.
I can somewhat agree with that. Educating women (and people in general) is certainly one of the most important things that need to be done regarding combating poverty. To be honest, if abortion could be put to an end, I'd be all for however much birth control and sexual education that you dems feel is appropriate for the situation.

And obviously I agree on the last part.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:35 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I can somewhat agree with that. Educating women (and people in general) is certainly one of the most important things that need to be done regarding combating poverty. To be honest, if abortion could be put to an end, I'd be all for however much birth control and sexual education that you dems feel is appropriate for the situation.

very cool -- we do agree on that point. education is key.

believe it or not, i'm a registered Republican. i have voted for republicans on the local and state level.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
believe it or not, i'm a registered Republican. i have voted for republicans on the local and state level.

You got me sir. I never would have guessed.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You got me sir. I never would have guessed.

there are several rational, "Main Street" Republicans in New England (where i'm from) -- Christopher Shays, Nancy Johnson, etc.

on a presidential level, it would be extremely difficult for me to vote for a Republican. on a national level, the party has basically used people like me as a scapegoat for myriad social ills, so why would i ever vote for them?

though i will admit that i registered as a Republican when i was 18 just so i coudl vote against Patrick Buchanan in 1996.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:44 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

His views on family and medical leave are fascinating. It's too high a burden on businesses to provide 16 weeks of unpaid leave following the birth of a child.

Only a man would come up with an idea this ridiculous.

And speaking of qualifications, do you mean to tell me that you have no equally as qualified women in your judicial system? What is wrong with your law schools? 1/9 is not representative of the population at large at all.

Of course since Bush said that Miers was the best possible choice he could find, then this guy is something less than the best.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Only a man would come up with an idea this ridiculous.

insignificant characteristics like race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, class, etc. should not matter and do not affect judicial philosophy.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

I will refrain from opining on such insignificant characteristics in the future.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's hoping for a filibuster.

Melon
Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Here's hoping for a filibuster.
I think the chances of a filibuster are 50/50. To me it's ridiculous that while Ruth Bader Ginsberg had but 3 votes against her, Roberts had 22 and Alito will surely have more.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
I think the chances of a filibuster are 50/50. To me it's ridiculous that while Ruth Bader Ginsberg had but 3 votes against her, Roberts had 22 and Alito will surely have more.
Yeah, well, Scalia skated by with unanimous approval. Considering his rather reprehensible behavior since then--a lot of his writings on social rulings are nothing short of histrionic fits of bigotry that has nothing to do with law--this fight is long overdue.

If the rhetoric was to be believed, I actually agree that we need someone who strictly interprets the Constitution. The problem is that these "strict constructionists" merely interpret the Constitution to fit conservative sensibilities, and ignore things like "equal protection," which is in the Constitution.

"Strict constructionists" upheld slavery (Dred Scott v. Sanford [1857]) and segregation (Plessy v. Ferguson [1892]). The latter case is especially repugnant, considering the Supreme Court flat out ignored the 14th amendment, and it took 60 more years for so-called "activist judges" to actually enforce the amendment. Do we really want judges with a caveman mentality like that?

Of course, straight white Christian men never have to worry. Their rights are never under question no matter who is in the judiciary or in government. And, yet, for whatever unknown reason, they cry foul when their right to demean and belittle unpopular minorities is under attack.

Melon
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
To me it's ridiculous that while Ruth Bader Ginsberg had but 3 votes against her, Roberts had 22 and Alito will surely have more.

Yeah. Democracy's so inconvenient isn't it?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #59
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Yeah. Democracy's so inconvenient isn't it?
It's a double standard, that's all. Hopefully democracy wins out and there will be a swift up or down vote for Alito, rather than a filibuster.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
It's a double standard, that's all. Hopefully democracy wins out and there will be a swift up or down vote for Alito, rather than a filibuster.
"Filibusters" are perfectly democratic. They are to ensure that a narrow one-party government doesn't act arrogantly. An overwhelmingly one-party government would never be subject to filibuster, but, as was the case with Congress during the Andrew Johnson administration, such governments are invariably corrupt.

Melon