It's A Beutiful Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
They played it at the end of Kerry's acceptance speech.

For like 5 minutes straight.

I guess Bono's choice for president is firmly out of the bag.

:up:

Yeah - you kinda have to have permission to use songs in that venue and we know that U2 just doesn't give permission to anyone so someone in the u2 camp is also in the Kerry camp. Somehow I doubt that you will hear a U2 song at the GOP convention

U2K, I'll be waiting for your criticisms of the Republican Convention.

nurse chrissi, given the progress of the Iraq situation they can always use Stuck In A Moment That You Can't Get Out Of. :wink:

I've said that all along, the song being played = approval of the candidate. Others fought me on this, but like you say, they don't give permission out lightly. It's a damn shame, it was one of my favorite U2 songs, and now it's spoiled for me being associated with a person I cannot stand (Kerry) However, what Bono thinks means nothing to me here. I dislike Kerry very much and Bono isn't going to change my mind. If anything it has hurt my opinion of Bono. I still think he should have remained bi-partisan to stay friends with both sides so he can still have his foot in the White House for Africa's sake no matter who wins. He may have just blown that one out of the water.

I don't think we'll hear U2 at the other convention either. It will be interesting to see what songs they do play, I doubt anyone is going to let their song be associated with him, it would ruin their rep among their other celebrity Hollywood types. Poor ol' Bush might have to resort to generic organ music or something :sigh:

Last edited:
RocknRollKitty said:

I don't think we'll hear U2 at the other convention either. It will be interesting to see what songs they do play, I doubt anyone is going to let their song be associated with him. Poor ol' Bush might have to resort to generic organ music or something :sigh:

Might hear a Ted Nugent song.

RocknRollKitty said:
I don't think we'll hear U2 at the other convention either. It will be interesting to see what songs they do play, I doubt anyone is going to let their song be associated with him, it would ruin their rep among their other celebrity Hollywood types. Poor ol' Bush might have to resort to generic organ music or something :sigh:

That "something" could very well be country music. Or "God Bless The U.S.A." overnadoverandoverand...

Yes, their Hollywood "rep." The only reason why artists like Ted Nugent are kept down by the liberal music industry.

Well, since I'm a Kerry supporter this doesn't bother me. At first I couldn't hear the song because I was at a party--I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I was at the Kerry headquarters, and I had a blast after a really tough day at work today. I don't know that I think this was necessarily an endorsement of Kerry. Rather, Bono wants a good relationship with him should he win the election, because that will be who's holding the pursestrings for U.S. aid for the AIDS pandemic. Hell, he might not really like the guy who's holding those pursestrings, but just like now he has to work with President Bush, he knows the election could go either way and he wants to be ready to continue his work. He's got to make the adjustments if necessary. Like he's said he'll have lunch with the Devil himself if that's what it takes.

well, Bono better hope Bush doesn't win, because if he does, I'm sure someone will remind Bush what group's song was playing at Kerry's acceptance. which of course would be a shame if he let that influence his support of AIDS research....not that he would do that, right?

If Bush would refuse to support AIDS research because Kerry's people played a U2 song at the Democratic convention, he's an even bigger tool than I imagined.

I was watching CNN too! I couldn't figure out why some guy was going on and on and on with "Where are the balloons? Where's the confetti?" I was wondering if someone left a mike on that wasn't supposed to be on, and then I heard "Where the :censored: are the balloons?" and that confirmed it! :lol: Someone is gonna be in BIG trouble over that one!

hahaha, can someone tell me what exactly was said on CNN? who said it??
I think I missed that part although I did hear Wolf Blitzer apologize at the end of his segment...

ladywithspinninghead said:
hahaha, can someone tell me what exactly was said on CNN? who said it??
I think I missed that part although I did hear Wolf Blitzer apologize at the end of his segment...

:lmao:

He (I think it was the convention director) said:

DaveC said:
"What the hell is wrong with you people?? Where the fuck are my balloons!?!?!?" :lmao:

I knew it was coming too... I could tell by his voice an F-bomb was waiting in the wings!

Bono's shades said:
If Bush would refuse to support AIDS research because Kerry's people played a U2 song at the Democratic convention, he's an even bigger tool than I imagined.

:up:

It says far more about Bush's character than Bono's that some people think that this is even an issue.

JOFO said:
well, Bono better hope Bush doesn't win, because if he does, I'm sure someone will remind Bush what group's song was playing at Kerry's acceptance. which of course would be a shame if he let that influence his support of AIDS research....not that he would do that, right?

Jesus Christo!!! Why are people getting so tangled up in this. First of all you don't have to give your permission to a song in this manner. Second of all, even if U2 did who cares?

If Bush gets reelected and turns his back to the AIDS crisis due to a song being played then it's obvious this nation elected the wrong person. "I'm sorry child I know you're suffering, but you won't get any help because I'm pissed off because some Irish men let the enemy combatant use their song and my party just wanted to hear Toby Keith." Please, please, please somone tell me why this remains to be an important issue...

I'm watching "After Hours" on MSNBC, and a couple of gossip columnists agreed that Bono had the most star power of any celebrity that appeared in Boston this week--supposedly he was mobbed while on the Convention floor, and his appearance at the Kennedy gala was very moving.

Then Joe Scarborough, a conservative former Congressman, started talking about Bono. He talked about how much he'd done with the AIDS issue, visiting "presidents and Popes." He also said that his music had helped with the peace process in Northern Ireland, and he'd talked about the Solidarity movement in "New Year's Day." He sounded like a fan!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

That's not what I meant. I was talking about how he had, after much hard work, made himself welcome and had an 'open door' at the White House. I really believe it's very important to not look like you are taking sides if you need them both, which he does. And I don't mean just the song, but the whole coddling up to the dems thing.

That's right, they didn't have to have permission to use the song. I mean, hell, I wonder if Bono even knew that the song was going to be used? I would imagine he did, but maybe he didn't want to look like a :censored:hole and bitch about it. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't have liked that.

Um, maybe they just used that song b/c it's an exiting, upbeat tune, not b/c Bono likes Kerry or Kerry likes Bono, etc, etc, bla bla bla... :shrug:

Another one: I heard him playing the Van Halen song, "higher and higher, straight up we'll climb...that's what dreams are made of" and I remember back in 1991 Van Halen had a fit that the song was told on the news as being used by US fighter pilots in the first gulf war. They disapproved of it, yet they obviously give approval to its use here.

Still all this garbage about 'hope' and 'dreams' and 'beautiful days' is beyond corny, especially when it's not even true;)

RocknRollKitty said:
Nah, he had to have had permission. U2 are very picky about who they let use their songs.

But why do you have to have permission to use a song? I thought that was only for selling a product (ie, Streets on the car commercial). Beautiful Day is just an upbeat, happy tune and it would probably work at ANY type of rally or convention. I don't get why EVERYTHING has to come hand in hand with some political agenda. I'm a U2 fa, yes I love Bono, and no I do not support Kerry. If one is going to vote or not vote for Kerry b/c a song they like was used at the convention, then s/he needs to seriously reconsider his/her priorities.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Jesus Christo!!! Why are people getting so tangled up in this. First of all you don't have to give your permission to a song in this manner. Second of all, even if U2 did who cares?

If Bush gets reelected and turns his back to the AIDS crisis due to a song being played then it's obvious this nation elected the wrong person. "I'm sorry child I know you're suffering, but you won't get any help because I'm pissed off because some Irish men let the enemy combatant use their song and my party just wanted to hear Toby Keith." Please, please, please somone tell me why this remains to be an important issue...

:up: BVS--always the voice of sanity around here.

But I have to say, even though I support Kerry, I am irritated having U2's music associated with a political campaign as much I would be if it were associated with a product. Just kind of ruins it for me. But I guess I'll get over it.

Bono knows Kerry personally so maybe because of that Kerry picked the U2 song?

Anyway U2 had bin verry tolerant in the past when people used their songs/logos.
I think the first time they sued someone was in Italy a radical right wing party who abused their song.

BTW...Bono said he will be at the RNC in five weeks as well, because he is non-partisan on the issue of debt relief and aids. But, you can read into his playing of the song if you like. It was the theme song for the World Championship New England Patriots and has been played to death in the Boston area since the Super Bowl three years ago. I have a feeling it was picked more because it would bring back the winning feeling based on the super bowl.

My 2 cents.....and while I believe Bono would prefer Kerry over Bush, I have yet to hear him say anything close to that.

ANd it is natural Bono got a lot of press, he is in an Irish city, celebrating Kennedy, an Irish hero.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom