Italian nun shot dead by Somali gunmen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
MOGADISHU, Somalia - An Italian nun was shot dead at a hospital by Somali gunmen Sunday, hours after a leading Muslim cleric condemned Pope Benedict XVI for his remarks on Islam and violence.

The nun, who was not immediately identified, was shot in the back at S.O.S. Hospital in northern Mogadishu by two gunmen, said Mohamed Yusuf, a doctor at the facility, which serves mothers and children. The nun’s bodyguard and a hospital worker were also killed, doctors said. (AP)

This is horrible and evil - there is no "gray" about this.

Re: Re: Re: Italian nun shot dead by Somali gunmen

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Where did it say the religion of the shooters?

probably just mistaken identity, or a carjacking gone wrong.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Where did it say the religion of the shooters?

Somalia is predominately Muslim, if not entirely, according the CIA's World Factbook
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/so.html

So, put two and two together.

It is sad and scary that this innocent person was killed. It makes one wonder if others will be murdered too.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Italian nun shot dead by Somali gunmen

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:|

This is your answer? Wow.

Well, we apparently don't like assumptions that it was religiously motivated by the religion of peace, so just exploring potential alternative motives.

AEON said:
MOGADISHU, Somalia - An Italian nun was shot dead at a hospital by Somali gunmen Sunday, hours after a leading Muslim cleric condemned Pope Benedict XVI for his remarks on Islam and violence.

The nun, who was not immediately identified, was shot in the back at S.O.S. Hospital in northern Mogadishu by two gunmen, said Mohamed Yusuf, a doctor at the facility, which serves mothers and children. The nun’s bodyguard and a hospital worker were also killed, doctors said. (AP)

This is horrible and evil - there is no "gray" about this.

Shooting a nun in the back. Now what ideology would bring a person to do such a thing?

Ishaq: 676 “‘You obey a stranger who encourages you to murder for booty. You are greedy men. Is there no honor among you?’ Upon hearing those lines Muhammad said, ‘Will no one rid me of this woman?’ Umayr, a zealous Muslim, decided to execute the Prophet’s wishes. That very night he crept into the writer’s home while she lay sleeping surrounded by her young children. There was one at her breast. Umayr removed the suckling babe and then plunged his sword into the poet. The next morning in the mosque, Muhammad, who was aware of the assassination, said, ‘You have helped Allah and His Apostle.’ Umayr said. ‘She had five sons; should I feel guilty?’ ‘No,’ the Prophet answered. ‘Killing her was as meaningless as two goats butting heads.’”

Ishaq:550 “Among those who Muhammad ordered killed was Abdallah bin Khatal. The Messenger ordered him to be slain because while he was a Muslim, Muhammad had sent him to collect the zakat tax with an Ansar and a slave of his.... His girls used to sing a satire about Muhammad so the Prophet ordered that they should be killed along with Abdullah. He was killed by Sa’id and Abu Barzah. The two shared in his blood. One of the singing girls was killed quickly but the other fled. So Umar caused his horse to trample the one who fled, killing her.”

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And we wonder why we should be educated about other religions?!

Some more Koranic education for you, religion of peace....

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 59, Number 369.
This describes the assassination of Ka’b bin al-Ashraf.
Ishaq:368 “Ka’b’s body was left prostrate [humbled in submission]. After his fall, all of the Nadir Jews were brought low. Sword in hand we cut him down. By Muhammad’s order we were sent secretly by night. Brother killing brother. We lured him to his death with guile [cunning or deviousness]. Travelling by night, bold as lions, we went into his home. We made him taste death with our deadly swords. We sought victory for the religion of the Prophet.”
Tabari VII:97/Ishaq:368 “We carried Ka’b’s head and brought it to Muhammad during the night. We saluted him as he stood praying and told him that we had slain Allah’s enemy. When he came out to us we cast Ashraf’s head before his feet. The Prophet praised Allah that the poet had been assassinated and complimented us on the good work we had done in Allah’s Cause. Our attack upon Allah’s enemy cast terror among the Jews, and there was no Jew in Medina who did not fear for his life.’”
Tabari VII:97 “The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared, ‘Kill any Jew who falls under your power.’”
Ishaq:369 “Thereupon Mas’ud leapt upon Sunayna, one of the Jewish merchants with whom his family had social and commercial relations and killed him. The Muslim’s brother complained, saying, ‘Why did you kill him? You have much fat in you belly from his charity.’ Mas’ud answered, ‘By Allah, had Muhammad ordered me to murder you, my brother, I would have cut off your head.’ Wherein the brother said, ‘Any religion that can bring you to this is indeed wonderful!’ And he accepted Islam.”

On second thought...

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
And we wonder why we should be educated about other religions?!

BVS, I hope you don't think I was jumping to conclusions. I found it very likely that the shooters were Muslims, given the religion of Somalia, and the Pope's comments. Also, Islamic militants are on the brink of taking over Somalia, so who knows? The gunmen could've been Islamic militia. And given the past violent reactions some Muslims have done over criticism of their religion, I believe it is safe to say the men who killed the nun were Muslims. If they were any else, I'd like to know why they killed her.
I do believe I am very educated on what is going on the world, and I don't think I am making assumptions.

Last edited:
toscano said:

Some more Koranic education for you, religion of peace....

Anyone can cut and paste.

I could easily cut and paste out of context scripture from the Bible as well to make it look like a violent religion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I could easily cut and paste out of context scripture from the Bible as well to make it look like a violent religion.

We already went through that exercise and you had a tough time finding New Testament passages that taught violence as a means of spreading Christianity.

You did pull one or two passages WAY out of context, but that was all you could muster. However, the Koran is literally filled with OVERT teachings of converting through violence.

Why do people insist on lying to themselves? Is it just wishful thinking? It simply amazes me how Islam continues to get the benefit of the doubt while innocent people are being slaughtered across the globe.

I mean c'mon - she was a nun! Giving aid to the sick!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Somehow I missed the chapter and verse in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John where the apostles brought the head to the feet of Jesus and he praised them.:huh:

AEON said:

We already went through that exercise and you had a tough time finding New Testament passages that taught violence as a means of spreading Christianity.

You did pull one or two passages WAY out of context, but that was all you could muster. However, the Koran is literally filled with OVERT teachings of converting through violence.

NT or not, really doesn't make a difference. I made my point and could continue to find more. The point is context is key, and those that cut and paste from something they found in an email or on the internet don't have a true sense of the religion as a whole.

Show me a religion that doesn't have violence associated with it somewhere in it's history.

AEON said:

It simply amazes me how Islam continues to get the benefit of the doubt while innocent people are being slaughtered across the globe.

It simply amazes me how some who call themselves moral people can lump all from the actions of a minority.

Westport said:

Somehow I missed the chapter and verse in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John where the apostles brought the head to the feet of Jesus and he praised them.:huh:

You may want to reread the Bible if you think it's free of violence.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You may want to reread the Bible if you think it's free of violence.

There are acts of violence in the Bible but no murder that directly or indirectly involves Jesus and nowhere does he condone or compliment such acts.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But in the OT there are...

If a principle is not also taught in the New Testament - then it is not Christian.

The OT is the Old Covenant - we are no longer bound to it. Christians are in a New Covenent that is realized through faith in Jesus Christ. This faith cannot be forced. It must be of free will.

Just go read through those threads from 2 or 3 months ago about eternal moral laws and such. I think we covered that in great detail.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok, so explain the context, or show me where Jesus was advocating/praising murder

AEON said:

If a principle is not also taught in the New Testament - then it is not Christian.

The OT is the Old Covenant - we are no longer bound to it. Christians are in a New Covenent that is realized through faith in Jesus Christ. This faith cannot be forced. It must be of free will.

Just go read through those threads from 2 or 3 months ago about eternal moral laws and such. I think we covered that in great detail.

Yes I know all of this. But you are missing my point. For those who don't know these principals a cut and paste job can paint the Bible in the same light as those who cut and paste the Koran...

Back
Top Bottom