Italian nun shot dead by Somali gunmen - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Yeah, because a minority of their religion live in hate and use a bastardized version of their faith to justify it.
But is it a bastardized version, or is truly part of their faith ?

Some would say the latter; time will tell

From www.jihadwatch.org

JIHAD IS A CENTRAL DUTY of every Muslim. Modern Muslim theologians have spoken of many things as jihads: the struggle within the soul, defending the faith from critics, supporting its growth and defense financially, even migrating to non-Muslim lands for the purpose of spreading Islam. But in Islamic history and doctrine violent jihad is founded on numerous verses of the Qur'an — most notably, one known in Islamic theology as the "Verse of the Sword": "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is forgiving, merciful" (Sura 9:5). Establishing "regular worship" and paying the "poor-due" (zakat) means essentially that they will become Muslim, as these are two of the central responsibilities of every Muslim.

Sahih Bukhari, which Muslims regard as the most trustworthy of all the many collections of traditions of Muhammad, records this statement of the Prophet: "Allah assigns for a person who participates in (holy battles) in Allah's Cause and nothing causes him to do so except belief in Allah and in His Messengers, that he will be recompensed by Allah either with a reward, or booty (if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise (if he is killed in the battle as a martyr)."

Ibn Khaldun (1332-1406), a pioneering historian and philosopher, was also a legal theorist. In his renowned Muqaddimah, the first work of historical theory, he notes that "in the Muslim community, the holy war is a religious duty, because of the universalism of the Muslim mission and (the obligation to) convert everybody to Islam either by persuasion or by force." In Islam, the person in charge of religious affairs is concerned with "power politics," because Islam is "under obligation to gain power over other nations."

Violent jihad is a constant of Islamic history. The passages quoted above and many others like them form a major element of the motivation of jihad warriors worldwide today. No major Muslim group has ever repudiated the doctrines of armed jihad. The theology of jihad, with all its assumptions about unbelievers‚ lack of human rights and dignity, is available today as a justification for anyone with the will and the means to bring it to life.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 PM   #62
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano
If mulsim leaders want to speak out, renounce violence, promote tolerance of Pope's and Danish cartoonists, and change that perception, I'd be happy to listen.
These are reasonable outcomes to hope for and work towards (although "muslim leaders" are an ill-defined, jurisdictionally diffuse, and selectively reported upon lot); wholesale denunciations of their own scriptures are not.

If Western leaders including the Pope are willing to speak out against blanket denunciations of Islam, decisively and without mass death of civilians address the quagmire that Iraq and Afghanistan have become, get firmly back behind the Israeli-Palestinian negotiations process, and stop tacitly overlooking the despotism of various Muslim political "allies," I'm sure plenty of Muslims would be more happy to listen as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
This is an intellectually cowardly...way to argue.
And I apologize for saying this. I was annoyed that you responded to my point about randomly culling scriptural passages to collectively smear an entire faith group by posting more randomly culled passages. But this much was uncalled for.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

But is it a bastardized version, or is truly part of their faith ?

Some would say the latter; time will tell

From www.jihadwatch.org

What else do you expect from a website called jihadwatch?

If it's truly part of their faith, then why aren't more joining the cause? I mean they make up 22% of the world, they could do quite a bit of damaged if was truly part of their faith.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah small minority, which the rest of islam does nothing about until they feel there being harrassed by people who want to put an end to it. And when that happens that small minority grows because the Rest do nothing.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Yeah small minority, which the rest of islam does nothing about until they feel there being harrassed by people who want to put an end to it. And when that happens that small minority grows because the Rest do nothing.
Do you stereotype all groups based on a minority or just Muslims?

I would hate to be Muslim these days. You speak out, you get killed, you stay quiet and the rest of the world hates you.

And they are the inhumane ones?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't sterotype. Do you know why they get killed because the rest of the faith are to afraid to stand up to these vile humans. They don't have the guts like Gahndi. MLK, Malcom X etc... If the showed that they know how to take care of the bad eggs then maybe they would get more respect.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't sterotype. Do you know why they get killed because the rest of the faith are to afraid to stand up to these vile humans. They don't have the guts like Gahndi. MLK, Malcom X etc... If the showed that they know how to take care of the bad eggs then maybe they would get more respect.
Yes you do. But I guess it's pretty easy to stand on moral superiority when you are living in the comfort of your home half a world away.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

If you are so moral and never tell a lie, then admit that you have never stereotyped. I am comfortable living in my place. I also go out and help others too. I go help at soup kitchens take cloths to cloth the poor. Have you done the same?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #69
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If you are so moral and never tell a lie, then admit that you have never stereotyped.
Being moral doesn't mean someone is perfect. I never claimed I haven't lied. But no I don't stereotype.

Quote:

I am comfortable living in my place. I also go out and help others too. I go help at soup kitchens take cloths to cloth the poor. Have you done the same?
That's great, but these things don't erase the judgements you make in here.

And yes...
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes I have made Judgements but dont think for a second you have never made judgements either.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes I have made Judgements but dont think for a second you have never made judgements either.
I never claimed I haven't, but never have I judged a religion as a whole.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
And we wonder why we should be educated about other religions?!
Know your enemies.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:

What else do you expect from a website called jihadwatch?

If it's truly part of their faith, then why aren't more joining the cause? I mean they make up 22% of the world, they could do quite a bit of damaged if was truly part of their faith.
The AQ Khan network has spawned the arsenel, it is probably only a matter of time.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The essence of Christianity summarized by one woman's life and death -

(AP) NAIROBI, Kenya — A nun shot four times at the Somali hospital where she worked forgave her killers as she lay dying, colleagues said Monday in the wake of her slaying, which has focused attention on Islamic radicalism in the Horn of Africa.

Sister Leonella, 65, muttered the words "I forgive, I forgive" in Italian after being shot by gunmen Sunday, the Rev. Maloba Wesonga told The Associated Press at a memorial Mass for the nun in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi.

Her killing was not a random attack and could have been sparked by remarks by Pope Benedict XVI about Muslims that have sparked angry reaction from Muslims around the world, said Willy Huber, regional head of the Austrian-funded hospital where Sister Leonella worked.

Sister Leonella, whose birth name was Rosa Sgorbati, had lived and worked in Kenya and Somalia for 38 years, her family said-"
Old 09-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Jesus is better than Mohammad!

Christianity is better than Islam!

Christians are better than Muslims!

Nyah-Nyah!

(i can't believe some of the posts in this thread)