"It takes a man...." - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:21 PM
"It takes a man...."

"to teach a child"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/07....ap/index.html

An interesting sidebar to the "it takes a family" thread.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

i fully encourage men to become teachers. kids, especially younger kids, tend to *love* younger male teachers (so long as they are good teachers) simply because, many of them, are lacking in male attention at home.

however, as the article mentions, the reason why so many men don't go into teaching is that we simply don't pay teachers enough, or accord them enough respect, to lure significant numbers of men -- who are still subject to social pressures to be the breadwinners and achievers of their families -- into teaching.

let's pay teachers more, and respect them more, and we'll see more gender diversity which will do nothing but improve the quality of education for all children.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 PM
I think we're wasting alot of talent by not encouraging more men to become teachers. Some guys who'd make excellent teachers end up doing something else because of the social pressures.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
let's pay teachers more, and respect them more, and we'll see more gender diversity which will do nothing but improve the quality of education for all children. [/B]

Man, it's just crazy enough to work!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:21 PM
In order to graduate from high school, my son was required to complete a senior project. After much thought he decided to "shadow" his middle school world history teacher and ended up going back for an extra week after the project was over. He loved the teaching environment and was allowed to plan a lesson and teach the class for one period.

He starts his first semester of college next month and hopes to someday be a world history teacher at the middle school level. I will be sending him this story
Old 07-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
In order to graduate from high school, my son was required to complete a senior project. After much thought he decided to "shadow" his middle school world history teacher and ended up going back for an extra week after the project was over. He loved the teaching environment and was allowed to plan a lesson and teach the class for one period.

He starts his first semester of college next month and hopes to someday be a world history teacher at the middle school level. I will be sending him this story

That's great, Char. I know he'll be a great teacher one day.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
let's pay teachers more, and respect them more, and we'll see more gender diversity which will do nothing but improve the quality of education for all children.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

i feel like i can speak from some experience on this, having come from a bit of a teaching background, and also having gone to one of those uppity colleges that tend to churn out future doctors, lawyers, bankers, and academics.

i know many, many smart and talented people who won't go into teaching, even though they love teaching, simply because it has the aroma of a 2nd tier profession, when compared to how much our society values doctors, lawyers, bankers, and professors. there's both that, and the pay, and the fact that it doesn't look as if teaching has the potentially to be continually creative and dynamic. much of this comes from experiences with bad teachers, especially in middle school and high school (we used to call them "pieces of driftwood" ... and many of them were men).

i mean none of this as an insult to teachers. i know people from both my college and others of similar stature who are, say, teaching public school in the Bronx. they do tremendous work, but they also don't see themselves doing that forever. burnout is very high, and pay and lack of respect don't do much to ameliorate burnout. i'm just trying to explicate the stigmas attached to non-university teaching that swim in the minds of many of our nation's top colleges and universities.

i have a whole host of suggestions on how to improve teaching, but that's too much to go into here.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:21 PM
Men tend to abdicate the teaching role in general.

Whether it is in the home, school, church, etc. - most of the teaching is done by women.

It goes beyond the perception of one career path.

Hats off to any men who step up and teach children
Old 07-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
i'm just trying to explicate the stigmas attached to non-university teaching that swim in the minds of many of our nation's top colleges and universities.
Higher education has many stigmas too--there's prestige, but there's also the stereotype of the liberal, ivory-tower academic... those who can't do teach, absent-minded professors, etc. I think it's ironic the way Americans look down their noses at college and college professors--yet require a degree for even the most basic job.

As you said before, American society needs to value education and all teachers more, period.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Men tend to abdicate the teaching role in general.

Whether it is in the home, school, church, etc. - most of the teaching is done by women.

It goes beyond the perception of one career path.
And it's a perception that has become ingrained in American culture, it's part of the whole Wild West myth. Education, religion and culture were seen as things brought to the West by women--after the real men had found, claimed and tamed it. Culture and education became feminine by association--something real American men shouldn't care about. It's a very different attitude than that held by Europe.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

And it's a perception that has become ingrained in American culture, it's part of the whole Wild West myth. Education, religion and culture were seen as things brought to the West by women--after the real men had found, claimed and tamed it. Culture and education became feminine by association--something real American men shouldn't care about. It's a very different attitude than that held by Europe.

i think that's true.

Americans respect people who do, or fix, or build. those very pro-active, frontier values that were so vital in the 19th century have embedded themselves in the fabric of American culture, and can have both positive and negative effects. the positive, is that we feel very much in charge of our own destinies, we're good at letting people self-create and become who they want to be, and our economy and culture remain endlessly dynamic capable of constant renewal. the negative, we tend to be impulsive, act first and think later (uh ... Iraq?), disregard long-term consequences for short-term solutions, and don't have much respect for the attention to detail and appreciation of simplicity and stillness that can make so much of European life (particularly on the Continent) so delicious.

one result is that we've never had a true class of public intellectuals, with a few exceptions. the people who are listened to and to whom we look for ideas, interpretations, and reactions both to history and to world events tend to people people in the popular arts, but they still *make* things -- from Kerouac to Spielberg. from what i know, we've never had the equivalent of, say, a Sartre or Camus.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Interesting, if one thinks of the male teachers in two popular American cartoons recently, Southpark and Beavis and Butthead, one character is gay while the guy in Beavis and Butthead is a stereotype of a hippyish liberal.

However I'm not sure if this is unique to America, the teaching professions in Ireland have a hard time attracting male candidates too.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
the negative, we tend to be impulsive, act first and think later (uh ... Iraq?)
You really shouldn't have done that.

I hereby predict that Sting2 will respond to your post, dealing solely with your comment on Iraq, without commenting on any of your other remarks.

I also predict that he will refer to at least 6 UN resolutions in his response.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I think there should be more male teachers- it gives young girls positive male examples, and creates positive role models for young boys as well.

Of course the most important thing is being a good teacher, male or female.