"It takes a man...." - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

However I'm not sure if this is unique to America, the teaching professions in Ireland have a hard time attracting male candidates too.
I don't think it's just an American thing either. There's been a lot of stuff here in the UK too about the shortage of males in teaching (especially at the primary level) and childcare roles. I think a lot of it is due to mistrust of men working with small children, and fears of sexual abuse/paedophilia.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:50 PM
My brother just finished his BA in Classical History and English and will be getting a BEd/MEd combination starting next fall. He's a huge, 6'4 athletic guy who loves kids, has been teaching music on a weekly basis for years.

A lot of his friends (the male ones anyway) still think it's a "girly" job.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:50 AM
A few of my friends are going to be teachers.

But that's because they want to be coaches, and the schools don't higher people to exclusively coach.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
I think a lot of it is due to mistrust of men working with small children, and fears of sexual abuse/paedophilia.

such attitudes make me so angry i can hardly see straight.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

such attitudes make me so angry i can hardly see straight.
Do you ever see "straight"?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

Higher education has many stigmas too--there's prestige, but there's also the stereotype of the liberal, ivory-tower academic... those who can't do teach, absent-minded professors, etc. I think it's ironic the way Americans look down their noses at college and college professors--yet require a degree for even the most basic job.

As you said before, American society needs to value education and all teachers more, period.
Thank you for your comment. I agree the stigmas and pay are the reasons why men and women are staying away and getting out of the profession. I have a 4 year degree in education. I know people who have the same 4 year education with different majors, who are making 15 to 20 thousand dollars more per year than teachers. This proves to me our society places more importance on your profession not your education. I think most men look for a profession with more status and I don't blame them.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 AM   #22
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:50 AM
One career where men's wages mirror women. We see the effect where men do not seek such careers. There's other reasons of course, but the pay is shithouse. I'd like to see women do exactly what these chuavinist turds wish for, and for women to withdraw from the general workforce altogether. Yep. See men take up menial factory jobs and so on.
The ante is being raised in the wrong area.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:20 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It is amazing that we are always talking about upping the status and pay of jobs to attract men, but we never talk about doing it to attract women. How valued we are.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
It is amazing that we are always talking about upping the status and pay of jobs to attract men, but we never talk about doing it to attract women. How valued we are.
Good point!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:46 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Do you ever see "straight"?

i certainly wasn't seeing straight on my date last night ...

Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Yeah, society has a crazy attitude toward intellectuals. It's both negative and positive. The "learned professions", medicine and law, both have a high status in our society. It's ironic that many of the people who teach medical and law students get society's scorn. People aren't very nice to the bioethics profs who teach at medical schools, for example, but someone's got to teach these students bioethics. Would you want to see a doctor who's never cracked a bioethics book? I sure wouldn't.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

however, as the article mentions, the reason why so many men don't go into teaching is that we simply don't pay teachers enough, or accord them enough respect, to lure significant numbers of men -- who are still subject to social pressures to be the breadwinners and achievers of their families -- into teaching.

let's pay teachers more, and respect them more, and we'll see more gender diversity which will do nothing but improve the quality of education for all children.
My boyfriend would LOVE to be a teacher. He was going into el ed and qualified according to the state, but our school has much stricter standards and wouldn't let him in the program. I think he's still planning on going back to school for a teaching degree because he really wants to work with kids, especially in special education.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #28
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:50 AM
I think everyone has raised good points in this...

It angers me that people see teaching as a second class profession. It still requires a degree same as any other profession, and its doing the most important job in the world, introducing education to the future leaders of the world.

Do you think if Bill Gates didn't go to school, didn't learnt ot read and write he would be where he is today?

My mum is a teacher and has been for 35 years. She has taught children who have gone on to all the "major" professions, including two who have won australian of the year and one who was on a team that won a nobel prise. Do you not think that she as a year 4 teacher, helping them move through school didnt not help shape their intelligant just a bit? Yet she is seen as not as good as a doctor or lawyer or whatever...

and being paid less...its disgusting. Thats probably why there are more women then men as teachers, because it is seen as a secondary job and the man is the "bread winner" typically.

I do agree that there should be more men as primary teachers, because it would force a positive male role model into a world filled with broken homes.