"It Takes a Family" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:35 PM
"It Takes a Family"

US Senator from Pennsylvania (R) Ricky Santorum has published a book called "It Takes a Family: Conservatism and the Common Good."

THe word is, if he can survive one of the hottest Senatorial Races, he will run for President in 2008, and this is the introduction to his platform.

The book's central theme is the fostering of the traditional family, headed by a married man and a woman.

Within this, he says that many families should re-evaluate their budgets and realize that both parents do not need to work (the woman should stay home with the children).

QUOTE:

"What happened in America so that mothers and fathers who leave their children in the care of someone else - or worse yet, home alone after school between three and six in the afternoon - find themselves more affirmed by society? Here, we can thank the influence of radical feminism.....

"Sadly, the propaganda campaigned in the 1960's has taken root. The Radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing woman that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness."

He also states that sending kids to schools also undermines the traditional family.

Come on people...come out and support this great American...he could be our next president!

Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Re: "It Takes a Family"

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
"Sadly, the propaganda campaigned in the 1960's has taken root. The Radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing woman that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness."

He also states that sending kids to schools also undermines the traditional family.

Come on people...come out and support this great American...he could be our next president!
holy shit. is this guy for real?

as a woman AND a teacher, i am appalled.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
fucking moron.

Hey Mr. Ricky the Republican how about this as a solution. Let's fight a war with no end in sight and tear families apart for years while spouses are left at home to raise their family while divorce rates climb in the military. http://www.wral.com/news/4641346/detail.html
Old 07-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Oh my god. So now it's the feminist lesbians of the 60s who caused the fabric of society/marriage, to fold? All this time I thought it was the genuinely homosexual!

When on earth will these righties stick to the one story? I cant keep up...As someone who sits with their arse firmly on the fence on most American political issues, lol.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:35 AM
I think that social conservatives are not by defintion right wing; and that right wing is not by definition social conservative.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Jesus Online

Sorry, I was making a sweeping generalisation...Which forum am I in again? The one where you are not meant to, but it happens frequently, or the one where...nevermind. Plus the little (R) after his name made me think he was a Rep.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

he is a Republican.

A registered Republican.

circleR

He has already made his opinion pretty clear on how gays have ruined this country.

I am so proud to be one of his constituents!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Right and Left can trancend political party.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Actually, I feel that in an economically perfect world, one of the parents should stay home with the kids. I think it is very beneficial to the kids' upbringing - it's a lot better than leaving them with day care. However, this is no perfect economically perfect world, and I'd sy that in most situations, both parents have to work just to stay alive.

That said, I think taking care of the kids is a much harder job than working in most offices.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
Jesus Online

I agree wholeheartedly. But I've never been anywhere near career orientated, nor ambitious beyond wanting to raise a family.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Re: "It Takes a Family"

While I do definitely think it's a good thing for at least one parent to manage to be home with their kids during the day or night, at the same time, I understand that some jobs are ones where the parents don't always have much of a choice, if any.

Quote:
...? Uh...and how exactly does it do that? He doesn't want kids to be educated ? I'm not following his thinking here...

Especially considering that my sister and I went to school, and our "traditional" family is still intact-parents are still married (and they're both our biological parents, too!), we're all still living under the same roof, we get along pretty well...hmmm...

Quote:
Nah. I generally try and avoid voting for idiots who attempt to stick their noses in people's personal lives .

Seriously, why do these "family" people keep trying to dictate their ideal family lifestyle to everyone else? Did I miss the memo that stated that people are free to tell my family how we should do things?

Not to mention, he's a Republican! When did Republicans start being pro-government interference in personal lives? I thought they were against that.

Angela
Old 07-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #12
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:35 PM
i tend to agree with 80's

i am a single mother, and i just gave a very loud speech the other day to anyone who would listen how unnatural it is for me to be soley responsible for everything it takes to run a home.

i'm talking everything. from making sure that the bills get paid, to carpooling, to shopping, to fixing meals, to helping with homework, to parent-teacher conferences, to repair and upkeep on the car, to housework, to unclogging the drain.

all of it. every single thing that it takes to make our household work is up to me. and sometimes it's just too much.

there probably isn't a day that goes by that i don't wish that i was able to just be home everyday and focus on nothing else except being a mother, or wish that i had a father in the house to share the load.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
Refugee

Right on with Ricky - Re-evalutating your budget so that you can raise your own kids instead of paying someone $6 an hour to watch 20 of them.....

Is priceless to their development and well being. We have a messed up generation.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #14
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
i tend to agree with 80's

i am a single mother, and i just gave a very loud speech the other day to anyone who would listen how unnatural it is for me to be soley responsible for everything it takes to run a home.

i'm talking everything. from making sure that the bills get paid, to carpooling, to shopping, to fixing meals, to helping with homework, to parent-teacher conferences, to repair and upkeep on the car, to housework, to unclogging the drain.

all of it. every single thing that it takes to make our household work is up to me. and sometimes it's just too much.

there probably isn't a day that goes by that i don't wish that i was able to just be home everyday and focus on nothing else except being a mother, or wish that i had a father in the house to share the load.
i agree with you bg. after my 14 odd months with a screaming 2 year old, and moaning to anyone who'd listen about underestimating single parents, it's not a scenario i'd wish on anyone.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #15
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 PM
I think it's one thing to say that single parenthood is difficult, and not ideal for everyone. It's also one thing to acknowledge that, generally, it's a good idea if one parent can be a full-time parent. But Santorum is a U.S. Senator, for one thing (hopefully for only one more year), and he and his can afford that kind of lifestyle. In a lot of families--particularly the poorer families about which Santorum generally does not give a flying you-know-what--two parents have to work. Obviously. We all know that. Are there some families in which one parent is just working to make the payments on the '06 Explorer or the 5,000-square-foot McMansion in the exurbs? Oh, I suspect that's true, but then again, those aren't the folks at whom Santorum levels his most serious charges. Because those purchases drive the economy, after all, and because those people are very often his base.

No, Santorum's worst attacks are reserved for gays and struggling single moms. How very noble of him.

I hope this guy gets a one-way ticket to Consultantville following the '06 elections. Although I have plans to move, part of me would like to stay living in PA long enough to have the pleasure of voting this jackass out of office.

Join Amnesty.