"It Takes a Family" - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If motherhood is something of value, then maybe the government would do something. We have public service ads all the time trying to direct our behavior.
Tax breaks? Health insurance?

There are many roles in this country that don't get any acknowledgement from the government...

I agree with Melon, we don't need the government to define our gender roles.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 PM
If people need bribes to be a mother, then maybe they shouldn't be a mother in the first place. We have too many children we don't intend to educate or employ anyway.

If we're going to start extending benefits, it should be to everyone.

Melon

Old 07-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Tax breaks? Health insurance?

There are many roles in this country that don't get any acknowledgement from the government...

I agree with Melon, we don't need the government to define our gender roles.
And, I never mentioned "government" per se. I think this a broader issue for society as a whole.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #110
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
If people need bribes to be a mother, then maybe they shouldn't be a mother in the first place. We have too many children we don't intend to educate or employ anyway.

If we're going to start extending benefits, it should be to everyone.

Melon
Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 AM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 PM
I saw Santorum on the Daily Show, that was a joke of an interview. I did like the footage of the men getting married after it was over though, that was a nice touch
Old 07-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #112
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:

And, I never mentioned "government" per se. I think this a broader issue for society as a whole.
Quote:
If motherhood is something of value, then maybe the government would do something.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
I think it's one thing to say that single parenthood is difficult, and not ideal for everyone. It's also one thing to acknowledge that, generally, it's a good idea if one parent can be a full-time parent. But Santorum is a U.S. Senator, for one thing (hopefully for only one more year), and he and his can afford that kind of lifestyle. In a lot of families--particularly the poorer families about which Santorum generally does not give a flying you-know-what--two parents have to work. Obviously. We all know that. Are there some families in which one parent is just working to make the payments on the '06 Explorer or the 5,000-square-foot McMansion in the exurbs? Oh, I suspect that's true, but then again, those aren't the folks at whom Santorum levels his most serious charges. Because those purchases drive the economy, after all, and because those people are very often his base.

No, Santorum's worst attacks are reserved for gays and struggling single moms. How very noble of him.

I hope this guy gets a one-way ticket to Consultantville following the '06 elections. Although I have plans to move, part of me would like to stay living in PA long enough to have the pleasure of voting this jackass out of office.
Bob Casey a who is a Democrat from Pennsylvania will be running against Santorum in 2006 so far is leading in the polls. I would be more than happy to see Santorum voted out of the Senate. What a jerk.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Taking two quotes out of context doesn't help the discussion. My second statement was directed towards Melon's insertion of government action in the discussion.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #115
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Here is a question for discussion: How has society treated the role of "mother"? Have we elevated the status? Devalued the status? Do we value it much at all?
Indeed. I dont think it has been elevated at all, but not necessarily devalued as the PC Police have ensured most will never speak openly negatively toward women who choose motherhood. I only hope that many actually do feel that the role of a mother is important, and I do reckon most people do. Problem is, we still see the utterly disgraceful way this is shown by society, and yes even everyone's beloved governments.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #116
Refugee

Word to everything you said, Tiny Dancer. I think if Rick Santorum et al had their way, it would be legal to discriminate against families where both parents work outside the home, single parents, gays, and the childless/childfree.

I saw Mr. Santorum on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" and George really grilled him hard. I loved it. George kept asking for names of "radical feminists" who have denigrated mothers who stay at home and of course, Santorum kept skirting the issue. Believe it or not, but feminists for the longest time have expressed that stay at home moms, homemakers, etc., should be respected for all of the hard work they do despite what right wingers say.

And even though the likes of Dr. Laura say that if women have kids they must stay home, she hardly respects them. I can recall two calls to her show from stay at home moms. One mom wanted to take a class at the local college which meant that her son would either be left with a babysitter or the school's childcare center for two hours a week. Dr. Laura lambasted this poor woman and accused her of wanting to abandon her child! WTF!

Then another stay at home mom called complaining that she wasn't feeling very appreciated by her husband and kids for all of the work she was doing. Afterall, dinner doesn't appear on the table, clothes don't get washed, and the house doesn't get clean by magic. Dr. Laura rips this poor woman a new one and says, "Do you think coal miners like their jobs?" Again, WTF? My answer to this poor, beleagured woman would be to treat herself to a spa week-end and let her husband and kids do all of the work. Then they'll see that homemaking is not easy and very valid work.