"It Takes a Family"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:
Actually, I feel that in an economically perfect world, one of the parents should stay home with the kids. I think it is very beneficial to the kids' upbringing - it's a lot better than leaving them with day care. However, this is no perfect economically perfect world, and I'd sy that in most situations, both parents have to work just to stay alive.

That said, I think taking care of the kids is a much harder job than working in most offices.
I agree and it scares me a lot because one day i need to make a big decision in my life.

And believe me, looking at the wages for lower skills make me depressed.

zonelistener said:
US Senator from Pennsylvania (R) Ricky Santorum has published a book called "It Takes a Family: Conservatism and the Common Good."

THe word is, if he can survive one of the hottest Senatorial Races, he will run for President in 2008, and this is the introduction to his platform.

The book's central theme is the fostering of the traditional family, headed by a married man and a woman.

Within this, he says that many families should re-evaluate their budgets and realize that both parents do not need to work (the woman should stay home with the children).

QUOTE:

"What happened in America so that mothers and fathers who leave their children in the care of someone else - or worse yet, home alone after school between three and six in the afternoon - find themselves more affirmed by society? Here, we can thank the influence of radical feminism.....

"Sadly, the propaganda campaigned in the 1960's has taken root. The Radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing woman that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness."

He also states that sending kids to schools also undermines the traditional family.

Come on people...come out and support this great American...he could be our next president!

I'll definitely be voting for this outstanding gentleman in 2008! :rolleyes:

Maybe if he gets elected his second term he could take it a step further and start making it illegal for the poor, the unwed, and those who believe in public schools to have children.:|

deep said:
subtitle

It takes a (Christian fundamentalist reactionary) family, to raise a bigot.

So there are no bigots outside the Christian faith, deep?

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
fucking moron.

Hey Mr. Ricky the Republican how about this as a solution. Let's fight a war with no end in sight and tear families apart for years while spouses are left at home to raise their family while divorce rates climb in the military. :down:http://www.wral.com/news/4641346/detail.html
:up: That really hits the nail on the head.
Also, I find his ideas regarding women a bit in contradiction to the war in Irag which is supposed to be liberating women as well as fighting terror. His ideas are simply out of date and just stupid!

Does anyone find that sometimes women's lib seems to merely be swapping one role for women, for another? For well, since forever really, we've fought and then won against men telling us we need to stay chained to the sink. The 60s saw an explosion of women rebelling, we all know the history, and now it seems to be that the message is not simply 'do what YOU choose'. It's 'Don't stay at home, you don't have to. Go out and work. You're allowed!' Well, last I checked, I had a problem with men telling me what to do. I dont want anyone telling me where I should be and what I should be doing. I certainly dont want any more for it to be a woman telling me I should be out working and smashing through that frustrating glass ceiling because I'm allowed. Women's lib can shove their permission up their arses. I am absoutely all for equality. I am absolutely all for women working. And if that means either not having children to do so, or fitting in children around work, then more power to them. I am all for women staying at home and not upgrading the car every year and taking a caravan holiday instead of flying somewhere if that is the preference. I've had jack of both sides telling everyone what the best is. Personally, I am for the stay at home parent and happy nuclear families. But only if it is what the family wants, if they can manage, which too many cant - infact most cannot. I'm happy for women to be making their own choices. It all seems to be people siding on one or the other. Keep them locked up at home, or make them into broken glass gurgling corporate pitbulls. Um, no. I dont support either side, thanks. Women should choose, and get support for whichever they choose.

The thing which really pisses me off royally is the equal pay bullshit. I dont know if it's the same overseas as here, but women still aren't getting paid the same as men and it makes my blood boil.

Angela Harlem said:
The thing which really pisses me off royally is the equal pay bullshit. I dont know if it's the same overseas as here, but women still aren't getting paid the same as men and it makes my blood boil.

yes, it's the same in north america--women consistently earn less than men for doing the same jobs. not to mention the lack of pay for doing the housework, running around after the kids, taking care of elderly relatives, etc. etc.

great rant, anna.

:clap:

Earnie Shavers said:
I honestly want to know how people like this get elected in the first place?!?

I am not sure how Santorum woo'ed his way in - I am fairly new to Pennsylvania. I do know he is a strong campaigner that holds firm in his views.

I DID live in Minnesota when former wreslter Jesse Ventura was elected governor (over a two OUTSTANDING party politicians). That is an election story for a different thread.

It takes a family, eh? I thought that all that was required for santorum was anal sex with plenty of excess lube. :shrug:

:wink:

Last edited:
:ohmy:

There will be a swing back in the western world, I think that the mutually exclusive family or career is not healthy for a nations demographic rates, accommodating both is quite possible and should be encouraged; get that birth rate to replacement levels.

Angela Harlem said:
Does anyone find that sometimes women's lib seems to merely be swapping one role for women, for another? For well, since forever really, we've fought and then won against men telling us we need to stay chained to the sink. The 60s saw an explosion of women rebelling, we all know the history, and now it seems to be that the message is not simply 'do what YOU choose'. It's 'Don't stay at home, you don't have to. Go out and work. You're allowed!' Well, last I checked, I had a problem with men telling me what to do. I dont want anyone telling me where I should be and what I should be doing. I certainly dont want any more for it to be a woman telling me I should be out working and smashing through that frustrating glass ceiling because I'm allowed. Women's lib can shove their permission up their arses. I am absoutely all for equality. I am absolutely all for women working. And if that means either not having children to do so, or fitting in children around work, then more power to them. I am all for women staying at home and not upgrading the car every year and taking a caravan holiday instead of flying somewhere if that is the preference. I've had jack of both sides telling everyone what the best is. Personally, I am for the stay at home parent and happy nuclear families. But only if it is what the family wants, if they can manage, which too many cant - infact most cannot. I'm happy for women to be making their own choices. It all seems to be people siding on one or the other. Keep them locked up at home, or make them into broken glass gurgling corporate pitbulls. Um, no. I dont support either side, thanks. Women should choose, and get support for whichever they choose.

Good post.

Yes, women get paid less than men for the same job here as well (Europe).

Re: Re: "It Takes a Family"

BonoVoxSupastar said:

When the Reps realize that the "war on terror" is a war without end, this will be the new enemy...the radical feminist

This stuff has been around for decades. It sounds as if Santorum is merely re-hashing arguments against an old "enemy".

Santorum resolute on Boston rebuke
Insists liberalism set stage for abuse
By Susan Milligan, Globe Staff | July 13, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, the third-ranking Republican in the Senate, refused yesterday to back off on his earlier statements connecting Boston's ''liberalism" with the Roman Catholic Church pedophile scandal, saying that the city's ''sexual license" and ''sexual freedom" nurtured an environment where sexual abuse would occur.

''The basic liberal attitude in that area . . . has an impact on people's behavior," Santorum said in an interview yesterday at the Capitol.

''If you have a world view that I'm describing [about Boston] . . . that affirms alternative views of sexuality, that can lead to a lot of people taking it the wrong way," Santorum said.

Santorum, a leader among Christian conservatives, was responding to questions about remarks he made three years ago on a website called Catholic Online. In those comments, Santorum said, ''It is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political, and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm" of the clergy sexual abuse scandal.

The junior senator is chairman of the Senate Republican Conference and is considered a possible candidate for his party's presidential nomination in 2008, if he wins reelection to a third Senate term next year.

''I was just saying that there's an attitude that is very open to sexual freedom that is more predominant" in Boston, Santorum said yesterday. Reminded that the sexual abuse occurred across the country, Santorum said that ''at the time [in 2002], there was an indication that there was more of a problem there" in Boston.

The senator's words sparked instant reaction from Massachusetts political leaders, who ridiculed Santorum's suggestion that priests were driven to abuse children by the city's liberal culture.

US Representative Barney Frank, a Newton Democrat, called Santorum ''a jerk" and pointed out that the senator tried to use the levers of the federal government to block the removal of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, an act that Santorum likened to ''execution." An autopsy found that Schiavo's brain was half the normal size and that she could not see anything.

''This is one of those people who claims to have had eye contact with a blind woman," Frank said.

Representative Martin T. Meehan, Democrat of Lowell, said, ''There's not much you can say about someone who claims to have read the Bible cover to cover and came away from it thinking it encourages hatred for fellow human beings."

David Wade, spokesman for Senator John F. Kerry, said, ''Sometimes you wonder whether Rick Santorum can possibly believe the radically wrong words that escape his mouth."

Santorum has startled Washington in the past. In a 2003 interview with the Associated Press, he linked ''man on child" and ''man on dog" sex with homosexuality, describing them as deviant behaviors that threatened traditional marriage. Earlier this year, he apologized for comparing the Democrats blocking President Bush's judicial nominees to the Nazi leader, Adolf Hitler.

The senator faces an unexpectedly tough race for reelection next year. Pennsylvania state treasurer Robert P. Casey Jr., the expected Democratic candidate, has been ahead or even with Santorum in recent polls, although Casey hasn't begun actively campaigning.

Casey, like Santorum, is antiabortion, and Democrats contend that the Pennsylvania contest offers one of their best chances to pick up a Senate seat next year.

Santorum, now 47, came to Washington as a House member in 1991 and joined a group of young, assertive conservatives bent on shaking up the institution. Elected to the Senate in 1994, he quickly moved up the Republican ranks. With his vocal stances against abortion, stem cell research, and the right-to-die movement, he has become a favorite of evangelicals, said Jon Delano, who is a political analyst at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

''He speaks exactly as he feels," Delano said. ''You either accept it or reject it. There's nothing disingenuous about Rick Santorum."

The Pennsylvania senator recently penned a book, ''It Takes a Family," that blasts two-income families, divorce, cohabitation before marriage, and other social trends he considers liberal ills.

The book, set to be released later this month, blames ''radical feminism" for encouraging women to work outside the home. ''In far too many families with young children, both parents are working, when, if they really took an honest look at the budget, they might confess that both of them don't really need to or at least may not need to work as much as they do," Santorum wrote.

Jay Reiff, Casey's campaign manager, predicted that Santorum's outspokenness might get him into trouble with Pennsylvania voters.

''It's sort of being out of touch," Reiff said. ''For hundreds of thousands of families, the option of having a stay-at-home mother is not there from an economic standpoint. ''It's not because they are bad budgeters or are selfish."

But Santorum's comments about Boston, like some of his other stances, may play well with cultural conservatives in Pennsylvania, who appreciate Santorum's opposition to gay marriage and abortion, political observers said.

''I think he probably has written off Massachusetts," said Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican who is also a potential 2008 contender.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...13/santorum_resolute_on_boston_rebuke?mode=PF

What a freakin' idiot this guy is.

Yes, supporting the idea of letting consenting ADULTS do whatever they wish to do in the privacy of their home is totally responsible for the priests' abuse scandal occurring.

Uh-huh. Sure. And pigs are going to fly at midnight tonight, too!

:rolleyes:.

Angela

:|
wow.
Priests having sex with little boys because the region encourages that kind of behavior?
:scratch:
let me get something straight because I think I might have misunderstood what the sentence meant.
He thinks that the bible encourages hate?

I hearby claim that, all that is wrong with the world is caused by the clouded thinking of people like Santorum.

There I said it.

Re: Re: Re: "It Takes a Family"

nbcrusader said:

This stuff has been around for decades. It sounds as if Santorum is merely re-hashing arguments against an old "enemy".

True but so has terrorism and drugs and all those other endless wars that people will constue to make it look like they are doing something for the world.

I took time out from swinging from a chandelier to write this reply:wink:

Rick Santorum completely denigrates the victims of clergy sexual abuse w/ his bizarre ideas and comments. He doesn't have a clue about the whole situation. So no Catholic priests in more conservative states have ever molested anyone? It has nothing to do w/ politics or 'liberalism", anyone w/ half a clue would know that.

Ted Kennedy had some great comments on the Senate floor yesterday, maybe someone can post a transcript

I can't belive that more Republicans don't speak out against Santorum, I would think hey'd be embarrassed by him

July 13, 2005

KENNEDY STATEMENT ON THE COMMENTS OF RICK SANTORUM

Rick Santorum owes an immediate apology to the tragic, long-suffering victims of sexual abuse and their families in Boston, in Massachusetts, in Pennsylvania and around this country. His outrageous and offensive comments -- which he had the indecency to repeat yesterday -- blamed the people of Boston for the depraved behavior of sick individuals who stole the innocence of children in the most horrible way imaginable.

Senator Santorum has shown a deep and callous insensitivity to the victims and their suffering in an apparent attempt to score political points with some of the most extreme members of the fringe right wing of his Party. Boston bashing might be in vogue with some Republicans, but Rick Santorum's statements are beyond the pale.

Three years ago, Senator Santorum said "While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm." When given an opportunity to apologize yesterday, he refused and instead restated these outrageous statements. The people of Boston are to blame for the clergy sexual abuse? That statement is irresponsible, insensitive and inexcusable. Rick Santorum should join all Americans in celebrating the accomplishments of the people of Boston.

Apparently Senator Santorum has never heard of the enormous contributions of our universities and industries to our quality of life, our economic strength, and our national security.

Harvard and MIT have produced 98 Nobel laureates whose work has made an enormous difference to America's strength.

Their graduates contribute to industries, to government, to our communities throughout the nation and the world. In fact, only a quarter of MIT's graduates remain in New England.

Their research keeps our nation secure. The Pentagon, the CIA, the military, the Energy Department, the Veterans Administration, all turn to MIT and Harvard for the technologies and strategies to protect our nation from those who would hurt us.

And their research into cancer, children's health, housing, community development, and so many issues continues to make an enormous difference to the well-being and health of our children and families.

More than a dozen current U.S. Senators were educated in Boston. Senator Frist was trained as a heart surgeon at Harvard Medical School. Senator Dole went to Harvard Law. Senator Alexander went to Harvard's School of Government. Surely, my honorable colleagues wouldn't go to a school that is somehow contributing to the downfall of America? No. They went to a worldwide leading institution to prepare them for incredible careers of service and leadership.

Senator Santorum's self righteousness also fails to take into account the enormous amount of good will the people of Boston demonstrate for the less fortunate.

They started the Massachusetts Childhood Hunger Initiative, working with leaders in 20 low-income communities to end hunger among our children.

Boston's Children's Hospital has been ranked first in the nation every year for the past decade in its care and concern for sick children.

The quality of life for Boston and its families is rated third in America. Massachusetts has the lowest divorce rate in the nation.

Massachusetts ranks in the top ten states in the nation when it comes to addressing the needs of at risk and vulnerable children, including our efforts to address low birth weight babies, teen homicides, high school dropout rates, and other challenges to our children. Pennsylvania does not rank in the top ten.

Boston gave birth to America's liberty. The values that sparked our Revolution continue to inspire Bostonians today - love of freedom, dedication to country, and concern for our fellow citizens.

The men and women of Boston have served honorably in our armed forces. They have fought and died for our country, so that their children might live in freedom and opportunity.

The abuse of children is a horrible perversion and a tragic crime, and I am proud that the good people of Boston and Massachusetts were leaders in coming forward, shedding light and demanding accountability for this devastating violation of children. Sadly, the sexual abuse of children is a problem throughout the world, and it is not confined in any way to members of the clergy or to one city or one town. Every state in the country has reported child sexual abuse, including Pennsylvania.

On behalf of all of the victims of abuse and the people of Boston and Massachusetts, I ask that he retract his unfounded statements and apologize. I think the families of Massachusetts were hurt just as much by this terrible tragedy as the families of Pennsylvania. Abuse against children is not a liberal or conservative issue. It's a horrific and unspeakable tragedy. Sadly, it happens in every state of this great nation -- red states and blue states, in the north and in the south, in big cities and small. The victims of child sexual abuse have suffered enough already, and Senator Santorum should stop making a bad and very tragic situation worse

Out of curiosity, how does Penn even elect a guy like this?

Back
Top Bottom