"It Takes a Family" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
We have a messed up generation.
It has nothing to do with generation.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:59 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 AM
I agree with 80's is best. Having one parent home is a good thing for the children and our society....but this guy puts the blame on women.

Further, he also mentions in the book that having one adult supervise 25 to 35 chidlren (he doesn't say "teach" - he uses s"supervise") during long hours of the day is also a societal problem.

So here is a Senator who is saying that kids should be home schooled rather than go to a GOVERNMENT FUNDED school.

And Pax is right....Santorum has his head up his rear if he thinks the common U.S. (or Pennsylvania) family can "live" on one salary. Maybe he should go around and see what is going on in his own state. Steelton, Allentown, Erie, etc. etc.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:59 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

In an ideal world you can run on ideal politics, but this is just bullshit disguised. Hopefully he has a plan to bring the economy back up so that one parent can stay home, a plan to end the war so that families will be reunited, a way to fight poverty so that children have a real chance...but who am I kidding? He's running for the white surburban picket fence vote who know nothing beyond their own little lives.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
...this guy puts the blame on women.
And why shouldn't he? After all, we are evil.

I guess global warming, increased hurricane activity, decreased sperm counts, and the high price of gasoline in the US can also be blamed on women. I feel much better now knowing who's responsible.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl

I guess global warming, increased hurricane activity, decreased sperm counts, and the high price of gasoline in the US can also be blamed on women. I feel much better now knowing who's responsible.
Well 3 out of 4, come on, the gas thing you had no power over.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Right and Left can trancend political party.
You're right. Our Democrats in Alabama are pretty damn conservative. It's a little clearer than it used to be. We used to be a one-party state because of the Civil War (the Democratic Party was the party of slavery and secession). Now the more conservative politicians have all switched to the Republican Party. But we still have some damn conservative Democrats. We have some Republicans who are decent people but they're way too conservative for me at the voting booth. I'm really nervous about Roy Moore running for governor and beating the incumbent for the Republican nomination. I can't stand that pietistic crud.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:36 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:18 PM
The best home environment to bring up kids is with the mother staying at home or at most working only part-time, this is the reality, people should not be encouraged to have kids out of wedlock.

The problem with fanatics like Santorum is they actually damage the conservative cause without realising it.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:52 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I was just thinking yesterday we've become so obsessed with having money and everything that goes with it that we sacrifice our children.

I don't like him or agree with exactly what he is saying. Many people do not have a choice but many people do. In my area people make a very conscious choice that they don't want to give up their 5 cars or vacation home they want both incomes to support their lifestyle. They might think they are giving their child the best that way. It doesn't seem right to me. There are more nanny's in our parks than parents with their own children.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
The best home environment to bring up kids is with the mother staying at home or at most working only part-time, this is the reality, people should not be encouraged to have kids out of wedlock.
How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 12:18 PM
If fuckwits like Santorum get elected President, I expect my single, childfree, independent, career-oriented ass to be thrown into jail.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat
In my area people make a very conscious choice that they don't want to give up their 5 cars or vacation home they want both incomes to support their lifestyle. They might think they are giving their child the best that way. It doesn't seem right to me. There are more nanny's in our parks than parents with their own children.
And that, I suspect, is the true problem...the "outsourcing" of child care when parents actually CAN afford to have one parent staying home. In fact, I used to babysit/nanny for people just like that, and I felt sad for those kids...glad I got out of it. For too many of those moms, having a full-time nanny or housekeeper was a status symbol. Few, if any, of them worked outside the home; most just wanted a nanny so they could go to the gym, shop, get manicures...

And a question for financeguy: why, exactly, is a father not suited to stay-at-home parenthood?

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
And a question for financeguy: why, exactly, is a father not suited to stay-at-home parenthood?
The mother is usually more suited for this role than the father, the sad truth is decades of political correctness from the 1960's on has brain-washed people to think otherwise. There is nothing wrong with the father providing the role if that is what is agreed between the parents but in the majority of cases the mother is more suited to it.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

The mother is usually more suited for this role than the father, the sad truth is decades of political correctness from the 1960's on has brain-washed people to think otherwise. There is nothing wrong with the father providing the role if that is what is agreed between the parents but in the majority of cases the mother is more suited to it.
You're just rephrasing your original claim.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

You're just rephrasing your original claim.
Ever occur to you why adolescent delinquency has sky-rocketed since the 1950's in most Western countries?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #30
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Well, then, why can't it simply be something that's decided on a case-by-case basis by individual families? Why make a blanket claim that women are "more suited" to it?

We're going to open a can of worms here about how gender is socialized, but I think it's significant to underscore the fact that men can be just as active, loving, and attentive as full-time parents as women can.

Join Amnesty.