It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2002, 01:20 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:35 PM
It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America

..after all.
Pres Bush during his tenure has had a shitty economy here in the US. Despite that his approval ratings have consistently remained at a record high..70-85 per cent..unheard of, for a long while

Coincedently the mainstream liberal press which admittedly has always contend that a STRONG ECONOMY=HIGH APPROVAL ratings for a US President.

In addition the mainstream press which is about 80 per cent liberal/(anti consevative-Bush) acccording to independent studies..have said CHARACTER has little to do w/a Pres approval rating..

So w/the US economy "in the shitter" for A VERY LONG TIME -right now..how come GW's ratings are so high?

Could it be CHARACTER after all?

Perhaps?

thank you

diamond

Old 06-25-2002, 02:36 AM   #2
Refugee

Character...we dont really know much about his charcter. This isnt Clinton. I would have to go out on this huge leap and say its that little war thats being fought in Mid East. Traditionally when there is a war that the people agree with then the pres will do good in ratings.

Old 06-25-2002, 08:30 AM   #3
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 07:35 PM

Why do you think that every attempt by the liberals to shit on this president is rebuked by the public..

Let's remember the ENron Scandal?... remember that. The liberals kept on clamoring that he was involved in some big scandal.. The public just didn't buy it.. because he wasn't involved...

Let's remember all the uprisings by the liberals saying 'What did Bush Know and when did he know it' basically stating that Bush knew we were going ot be attacked.. he knew where and when, and by whta means.. The public didn't buy it.. And so far nothing in any of these memos could have aided in preventing this attack.

How about the latest poll.. I think it was something like 80 % of Americans would give up some of our freedoms in order to have a bit more security during this time of hostility.. Now.. What initially goes thru my mind.. is that If we give up any freedoms, We won't get them back.. Buuuut, We dont' have a liberal in office.. People trust this man, they trust his character to do what is best for us and when it is all over our freedoms will be returned (Just as they were after WWII).

Yes, the war is part of it... a rising economy will just make sure poll numbers aren't down.. they don't necessarily mean high numbers.. But it's the fact that the American people dont think this administration is going to BS the people.. or Pull the wool over the eyes of us Americans.

L.Unplugged
Old 06-25-2002, 08:39 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Re: It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

So w/the US economy "in the shitter" for A VERY LONG TIME -right now..how come GW's ratings are so high?

Could it be CHARACTER after all?

Perhaps?

I think Bush's high approval ratings have a lot more to do with the events of September 11th and the continuing effects of these, than his character, or the economy. Remember his approval ratings were only average before Sept. 11th but have remained much higher since. I think it has a lot to do with fear and people wanting to rally round their president in a time of 'war'. The Republicans have certainly made the most of this, as they've responded to a lot of criticism by saying it's inappropriate to criticise the president while the nation is 'under threat' or 'at war'. The increase in patriotism since Sept. 11th is probably also partly an explanation - people sometimes feel that criticising the leader of their country is unpatriotic and therefore they're likely to be less critical of him.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:03 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Re: Re: It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I think Bush's high approval ratings have a lot more to do with the events of September 11th and the continuing effects of these, than his character, or the economy. Remember his approval ratings were only average before Sept. 11th but have remained much higher since. I think it has a lot to do with fear and people wanting to rally round their president in a time of 'war'. The Republicans have certainly made the most of this, as they've responded to a lot of criticism by saying it's inappropriate to criticise the president while the nation is 'under threat' or 'at war'. The increase in patriotism since Sept. 11th is probably also partly an explanation - people sometimes feel that criticising the leader of their country is unpatriotic and therefore they're likely to be less critical of him.
i would agree with you. but there will never be a fair answer to this question. the responses you'll get from this board, and in society in general, are that bush has done an excellent job handling events since september 11th.
it is difficult to isolate the reasons for his high rating. perhaps a comparison to 'threat'-time presidents of years past, both before and after, the initiation of the threat is in order. i'm not sure what the best case of this would be but i'm sure there is a similar period which could be compared.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:04 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, in the recent past when another US President w/high approval ratings got involved in a war..ie- Bosnia his approval numbers went down slightly..every miltary involvment practically either his numbers would dip or remain the same at best..

Umm..and we more or less know his character..

Therefore Ergoheads..this character issue may be more important than we realize after all, wouldnt cha think?

Out-
DB9

oh yeah Bono kinda likes him
thank you.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:07 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Bosnia his approval numbers went down slightly..every miltary involvment practically either his numbers would dip or remain the same at best..
yeah but the nature of these two instances is very different.

bosnia was a far off battle with hundred year old roots that few understood.

september 11th was planes plowing into office towers in the focal point of your nation. when that happens, to me at least, it is easy to go forward with what the american people want.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:15 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I dunno Kobe.
Intution tells me that if Gore would of won the election..he prolly would of had the same approval rating as Bush pre 9-11 and after 9-11 like a 2.5-5 per cent approval rating bump only -instead of 25-30 like Bushes..due to character.

DB9
Old 06-25-2002, 09:24 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I dunno Kobe.
Intution tells me that if Gore would of won the election..he prolly would of had the same approval rating as Bush pre 9-11 and after 9-11 like a 2.5-5 per cent approval rating bump only -instead of 25-30 like Bushes..due to character.

DB9
of course you don't agree
that is what i was alluding to with my first post. i don't think we can isolate the reason.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:52 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Imagine, for a moment, what Clinton or Gore would have done after 9/11...

<shudder>

Would have they sent a cruise missle to an empty tent? Order little more than mere bombings for a few days? Hold a conference to try to "understand" why the terrorists were so upset?

It may be a bit far to suggest that Clinton was a Chamberlain (and Gore would have been another Chamberlain), and Bush is a Winston Churchhill... but the parallels are there.

It's not only the crisis, but the response.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:03 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Imagine
it's largely a moot discussion because of that word.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

it's largely a moot discussion because of that word.
I disagree, considering Clinton's tepid response to other terrorist attacks against the United States:

- The first bombing of the World Trade Center
- The bombing of U.S. embassies
- The attack on the barracks in Saudi Arabia
- The bombing of the U.S.S. Cole

(I may have missed one or two attacks. Sorry if I did.)

Couple that with the fact that Clinton will not admit that his foreign policies were in any way responsible - still clinging to the notion that they were successful - and you can derive a very good notion of how Clinton would have responded to 9/11.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:17 PM   #13
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
good notion of how Clinton would have responded to 9/11.
I'll take a guess
Clinton would have realised that his popularity would go through the roof by bombing just about anything that one could possible bomb out there and do just so
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-25-2002, 12:42 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Salome-
Thats what he did..
and hes ratings dropped..Sudan ect..

diamond
Old 06-25-2002, 01:15 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:

It may be a bit far to suggest that Clinton was a Chamberlain (and Gore would have been another Chamberlain), and Bush is a Winston Churchhill... but the parallels are there.
You are insulting Winston Churchill just by mentioning him in the same sentence as GW Bush. Please point out the parrallels between these two men. I am curious.