It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2002, 12:24 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
diamond, no offense, but i think you're a little too obsessed with what bono thinks and in the grand scheme of things (as much as i admire bono and his actions) it matters little.
Umm Screamer-
Incorrect.
You see when Bono used to BLAST REAGAN and BUSH Sr. from the stage, in the early and late 80s I would wince a little.
My friends would say-"Dave, How can you reconcile those comments, being a Republican"?
My response was- " Thats ok Bono has his beliefs and I admire him as a performer first,hes entitled to his opinion."
I didnt think less of him for his polictical agenda.
I realized EARLY that YOU could NOT pigeon-hole Bono into a certain Party.
He has recently came out and said he is "A"Polictical.
It was a WONDERFUL confirmation that Bono would be OPEN-MINDED enough to work in a bi-partisan fashion.

Lastly-
If Bono hated this Administration I would STILL attend U2 Shows and vote Republican.....
Do you get it?
I think you do.
thanks kiddo-
keep it krunk

diamond
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #107
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
 
Lemonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho


You read right. He's taking things that CONGRESS did (which, I admit surprises me) and then REDUCES the funding and then makes it sound like it was HIS idea to give this aid. Blah.

Also, the subsidies he's granting actually HURT Africa more because it decreases the ability of these countries to trade.

He is not a hero of mine - but at present, I fear Diamond would be right in that if elections were held today, he'd win. Of course, since he didn't really win last time, I guess it would be nice for him to officially win this time.
Congress has stated many times that they are here 'to do what the president wants'.. 'If He tells us to do this, then we'll do it.'.. read.. CFR. 'Reduces Funding'.. He reduces the funding teh liberals are clamoring for.. Frankly, I am upset that he is even conceding to the liberal agenda, but like I wrote before.. If you can't have a liberal president in office and you are a liberal.. Bush is granting you most of your agenda.. just not as extreme as you want.

'Since He didn't win last time'... Get over it.. How petty.. Did you read the media's vote count in FL.. Bush Won.

Diamond is right.. Bush would win an election today.. Republicans are going to win this November, and W will be reelected, because the people believe in him, they trust in him to do what is right for this country.. And this harkens back to Diamond's First post in this thread.. Because of his Character.


L.Unplugged
__________________

__________________
"When People Feel Uncertain, they'd rather have somebody who is Strong and Wrong than somebody who is Weak and Right."

--Bill Clinton
Lemonite is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba


Sorry, but it seems to me Dr Teeth compared Bush to Hitler:

I grant I could have misinterpreted that comment, but I've seen no evidence for it - no post where Dr Teeth said, "Bubba, that's not what I meant."

First, I wasn't calling ANYONE a Nazi: I was responding to Dr Teeth's comparison between Bush and Hitler.

My question is, if calling someone a Nazi is bad (and it is), is comparing someone to HITLER an acceptable act?
The reason you haven't seen any posts of me since is because I don't live behind a computer. But here it comes...

Oh Bubba Bubba Bubba, that was not what I meant!!! Angela Harlem (at least I believe it was her...) hit the nail right on the head. I compared the relationship Blair has with Bush (sucking up) to the relationship Mussolini had with Hitler (also sucking up). Anyone whose first language is English should have seen that, unless they've tied some striped flag in front of their eyes.

The only reason I used WWII characters is that someone (I think it was even you Bubba) got the WWII context into my head by comparing an intelligent man like Churchill to an idiot like Bush.

But hey just for the sake of it, I'll compare Bush to Hitler if that's what you want: Bush is playing the propaganda thing just like Hitler did. Hitler gained popularity by focussing on a common enemy (especially on the jews) and giving the Germans a sense of unity. Guess what Bush is doing now?
__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 03:13 PM   #109
The Fly
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: God is Love
Posts: 185
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


I realized EARLY that YOU could NOT pigeon-hole Bono into a certain Party.
He has recently came out and said he is "A"Polictical.
It was a WONDERFUL confirmation that Bono would be OPEN-MINDED enough to work in a bi-partisan fashion.
diamond:
I think you are a tad naive to believe that Bono is "A Political", i.e "independent". If you truly believe this than you are a victim of Bono's charms and persuasive powers. Seriously. I bet you your favorite sodie pop you can't name me even ONE organization that Bono is personally involved in that represents a "conservative" agenda or ideals. (I'll take my Sprite anytime). Certainly Amnesty Int'l doesn't qualify. Greenpeace? Hardly. Drop the Debt? Nope. Stop Sellafield? No again. How about Ali's Chernobyl Project? Sorry, that isn't one either.

My point is that it seems to me that you are trying to gloss over the fact that while Bono may (and I stress MAY say he is "A Political", because I've personally never read that statement in print or heard him in interviews say this) his actions speak much louder than his words. From the moment U2 burst into the public eye Bono has consistently championed the plight(s) of the underdogs, the less fortunate, etc via his work for AIDS organizations, debt relief, Amnesty, Greenpeace and on and on. These are ALL liberal/progressive postions and organizations with which he has worked. So please...don't make such broad statements about Bono's political leanings when the facts clearly demonstrate your statement is without merit.

You always want to infuse his relationship with "W" as proof positive he his "A Political". This is a major league stretch on your part. Bono is politically astute-he realizes that in order to accomplish what he wants he MUST be on solid footing with who is in control i.e who controls the purse strings. Currently that is Bush and his administration. This hardly makes Bono "A Political". What it does make him is smart and politically savvy.

Bottom line: You can try and trick yourself and others into believing that our beloved Bono is "A Political" but past and current history proves otherwise.
__________________
Like someone to blame is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 03:33 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 10:46 PM

[cheap sarcasm]Everybody here seems to be forgetting that diamond knows Bono quite intimately and has an almost brother-like band with him[/cheap sarcasm]
__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 03:40 PM   #111
Refugee
 
Achtung Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: One Nation. Under God.
Posts: 1,513
Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


The reason you haven't seen any posts of me since is because I don't live behind a computer. But here it comes...

Oh Bubba Bubba Bubba, that was not what I meant!!! Angela Harlem (at least I believe it was her...) hit the nail right on the head. I compared the relationship Blair has with Bush (sucking up) to the relationship Mussolini had with Hitler (also sucking up). Anyone whose first language is English should have seen that, unless they've tied some striped flag in front of their eyes.

The only reason I used WWII characters is that someone (I think it was even you Bubba) got the WWII context into my head by comparing an intelligent man like Churchill to an idiot like Bush.

But hey just for the sake of it, I'll compare Bush to Hitler if that's what you want: Bush is playing the propaganda thing just like Hitler did. Hitler gained popularity by focussing on a common enemy (especially on the jews) and giving the Germans a sense of unity. Guess what Bush is doing now?
As I said, I may have been interpreted what you said incorrectly - I apologize for doing so. Though, honestly, I believe it irresponsible to assume that someone WON'T take a Bush-Hitler analogy the wrong way, particularly considering how often liberals make the connection in the first place...

...as you just did in THIS post.

I know I'm supposed to ease off on the word, but I wonder: when you say, "Bush is playing the propaganda thing just like Hitler did," WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The author of the preceding is known
for engaing in very long discussions.
Achtung Bubba is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 03:49 PM   #112
Refugee
 
Achtung Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: One Nation. Under God.
Posts: 1,513
Local Time: 04:46 PM
While we're on the subject of Bush/Hitler (an extension of conservatism/Nazism, a subject that - frankly - comes up far too often)...

I don't often quote another person's words and claim them as my own - claim that I agree with those words absolutely - but I do so here:

Calling someone a Nazi is as bad as calling them a “nigger” or a “kike” or anything else you can think of. It’s not cute. It’s not funny. And it’s certainly not clever. If you’re too stupid to understand that a philosophy that favors a federally structured republic, with numerous restraints on the scope and power of government to interfere with individual rights or the free market, is a lot different from an ethnic-nationalist, atheistic, and socialist program of genocide and international aggression, you should use this rule of thumb: If someone isn’t advocating the murder of millions of people in gas chambers and a global Reich for the White Man you shouldn’t assume he’s a Nazi and you should know it’s pretty damn evil to call him one.

However, if you’re not too stupid to recognize the difference, but you just think saying such things will get you more attention from the press, make you a hero to some constituency, or simply makes you sound impressive, than you deserve to be socked in the goddamn face.


Regards,
Bubba
__________________
Achtung Bubba is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 04:12 PM   #113
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 04:27 PM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:46 PM

Yo Bubba-
Maybe, just maybe after Bush WINS in 2004, then they'll start to get it.
Until then..chin up my brother..and be prepared for the typical nitpicking, ass-hairsplitting, predictable fault-finding, muttering ect.from the opposition.
Its ok, it makes for a fun ride..
Continue to fight the good fight.

Let them smoke their dope and complain.

Cheers-
diamond
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 04:52 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame


diamond:
I think you are a tad naive to believe that Bono is "A Political", i.e "independent". If you truly believe this than you are a victim of Bono's charms and persuasive powers. Seriously. I bet you your favorite sodie pop you can't name me even ONE organization that Bono is personally involved in that represents a "conservative" agenda or ideals. (I'll take my Sprite anytime). Certainly Amnesty Int'l doesn't qualify. Greenpeace? Hardly. Drop the Debt? Nope. Stop Sellafield? No again. How about Ali's Chernobyl Project? Sorry, that isn't one either.

My point is that it seems to me that you are trying to gloss over the fact that while Bono may (and I stress MAY say he is "A Political", because I've personally never read that statement in print or heard him in interviews say this) his actions speak much louder than his words. From the moment U2 burst into the public eye Bono has consistently championed the plight(s) of the underdogs, the less fortunate, etc via his work for AIDS organizations, debt relief, Amnesty, Greenpeace and on and on. These are ALL liberal/progressive postions and organizations with which he has worked. So please...don't make such broad statements about Bono's political leanings when the facts clearly demonstrate your statement is without merit.

You always want to infuse his relationship with "W" as proof positive he his "A Political". This is a major league stretch on your part. Bono is politically astute-he realizes that in order to accomplish what he wants he MUST be on solid footing with who is in control i.e who controls the purse strings. Currently that is Bush and his administration. This hardly makes Bono "A Political". What it does make him is smart and politically savvy.

Bottom line: You can try and trick yourself and others into believing that our beloved Bono is "A Political" but past and current history proves otherwise.
Umm.
Well you better talk to Bono about that because he said it..on CSPAN... I HEARD it come from his OWN mouth.

He then went on and sais he THOUGHT THE ADMINISTRATION'S MOTIVES WERE SINCERE. Maybe you can get him to retract BOTH those statements, Brother Someone?
It seems you may have a problem w/Bono's openmindeness?
Perhaps?
My point is this..Bono is NOT the same person he was 15 yrs ago..
Bono has evolved as a person

The Republican Party has evolved as a Party.
Youre prloly NOT the same person that you were 15 yrs ago.,correct?
.I know Im not.

Furthurmore..DATA has Republicans involved, and Drop The Debt is a Bi-Partisan endeavor.

Lastly, w/Bono supporting the War On Terror..he isnt totally aligning himself w/Amnesty International( remember-theyre opposed) now-like he was in the 1980's now is he Brother Someone?
You see Bono has also evolved.

Get over Bono's compassion and openmindedness and you will have no one to blame.
Your friend-
DB9
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 05:11 PM   #116
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:46 PM
hahahahaha

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond



Get over Bono's compassion and openmindedness and you will have no one to blame.
Your friend-
DB9
and that is the funniest thing you have said in the last 24 hrs.
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 06:07 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Kobeyashi:
Example: The University of Alabama School of Medicine is in the city where I work; it is a public institution with tremendous resources dedicated to treatment of heart disease, cancer, and other fields, and much of their research is funded by private grants.

~U2Alabama
hey! that's kobayashi

i am aware of the UAB med school. i believe my organization funds some researchers who have collaborated on some research there. one of the better teaching schools in the US that i've ever encountered, friendly admin as well must be southern hospitality.
__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 06:12 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
As I said, I may have been interpreted what you said incorrectly - I apologize for doing so. Though, honestly, I believe it irresponsible to assume that someone WON'T take a Bush-Hitler analogy the wrong way, particularly considering how often liberals make the connection in the first place...
I don't really care about what you think liberals are saying. I suggest you save comments like in your previous posts untill an actual liberal (and no, that's not a non-republican) will post an actual Bush-Hitler analogy. You have interpreted what I said incorrectly, not because of my irresponsibillity to post it but because you were blinded by your apparent adoration towards Bush. I can only be held accountable for what I write and not for what you or anybody else thinks I'm writing.


Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
I know I'm supposed to ease off on the word, but I wonder: when you say, "Bush is playing the propaganda thing just like Hitler did," WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
Come on, you don't see how Bush is milking this to the best of his advantage?
__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 06:32 PM   #119
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:46 PM
Bills should change their name to Ills (oops)

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi


ohhh, troy he's great, took my bills out on more than i occasion
Wow Koby, you know how at the end of that 'one' video the buffalo runs off the cliff and the rest of the herd follows, um well

Yeah we got ya twice, and losing 4 in a row may be like running off a cliff. But letting go of Flutie was a big big mistake.
Anyway bro,
back to FYM
Diamond likes diet coke remember
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 06-27-2002, 06:39 PM   #120
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


I don't really care about what you think liberals are saying. I suggest you save comments like in your previous posts untill an actual liberal (and no, that's not a non-republican) will post an actual Bush-Hitler analogy. You have interpreted what I said incorrectly, not because of my irresponsibillity to post it but because you were blinded by your apparent adoration towards Bush. I can only be held accountable for what I write and not for what you or anybody else thinks I'm writing.
I still agree with Bubba here DrTeeth, I interpreted this the same way too

Quote:
Come on, you don't see how Bush is milking this to the best of his advantage?
Really, no. I think Tony Blair is aligned with the americans and vice versa for the good of his people. If the terror activity intensifys, we have an "extra set of eyes and ears" in the British at the very least. I am not trying to leave out our Canadian and European allies as well here.

And to the middle-eastern folks who would rather not be caught in the middle but are; Mr. Bush succinctly(with Mr. Blair by his side) stated "...you are either with us or against us..."
__________________

__________________
z edge is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com