It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2002, 08:06 PM   #91
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

ummmmmmmmmmm, politics maybe?
not to suggest that there isn't specialized health care at all, in fact it probably is the best in the world but to say the 'epicentre'...

your hospitals also treat many of the injured NFL players
Very nice Koby
In fact, we have a Troy Aikman burn center there with a special childrens wing called the end zone.

It is named after Troy because he paid for it.

Old 06-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Kobeyashi:

I think that what Diamond was on about (although in a somewhat exagerated measure) is that the United States does host a lot of international patients for "advanced" and or "specialized" healthcare procedures. To say that "most people in the world" come here for it is a stretch, as "most people in the world" never set foot in the United States, but there is a siginificant number of U.S. healthcare recipients who come here from abroad for procedures that are not available in their countries.

Example: The University of Alabama School of Medicine is in the city where I work; it is a public institution with tremendous resources dedicated to treatment of heart disease, cancer, and other fields, and much of their research is funded by private grants. Quite often, we hear of patients coming to UAB (it is on the campus of University of Alabama at Birmingham) for treatment, while they are from India, the United Kingdom, Russia, and, yes, Canada. Keep in mind that it is a "learning hospital" and thus probably devotes more to research and "advanced" health care than our typical neighborhood hospitals do (the private hospital in my suburban community only got a cardiac unit a few months ago), but these institutions in the U.S. are indeed international destinations for a considerable number of patients.

And madamc:

Quote:
the USA isn't that much better than a third world country. there are huge gaps between the rich and the poor.
I refer you to Sula’s response to this comment; could not have said it better myself (though unlike her, I have never lived in a Third World Country.

Quote:
before you bash canada, ask yourselves this:

are there any programs to help the less fortunate? welfare? education programs?
In the state where I live, which is one of the “poorest” in the U.S.: yes, yes, and yes.

Quote:
are there beds for the homeless? in montreal, there is a bed for every homeless person. whether they choose to use them is their choice.
In the state where I live: yes, and likewise, whether they choose to use them/abide by the rules such shelters may impose is their choice.

Quote:
what about a health care system? in canada, there are PUBLIC and PRIVATE health care systems.
In the state where I live: the same; we have PUBLIC and PRIVATE health care systems, and if the PRIVATE system is affiliated with a foundation or religious order, there is also the possibility of charity healthcare.

Quote:
as far as standards of living are concerned, canada is a better place to live--we are only beaten by norway.
I won’t argue with you there; I have seen the U.N.’s statistics and I cannot refute them. However, I would take Alabama’s humid subtropical climate over that of Canada or Norway any day and therefore I will stay here.

~U2Alabama

Old 06-26-2002, 08:58 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Salome:

I like your posting style a lot, and I can see through it (it doesn't offend me). I don't agree with what you say on a lot of political issues, but I do enjoy hearing your side and generally like the way you say it.

But I think that what z edge, ArunV, and others are hitting on is that usually when you comment on American politics, you are always critical of the subject at hand. Honestly, I can not remember ever seeing a post of yours that supported or agreed with any action or position the U.S. has ever taken, whether it was under the administration of Clinton or Bush. But you often chime in with comments critical of the U.S.

It does seem that a lot of the non-Americans are of the same mindset as you on this, and there may be some greater reason for it. I do not want to guess what it is myself due to certain fears.

I can say this though: I am glad that the U.S. has never experienced monarchy (we broke away from one), a "state church" (same), we never had a marxist/communist/whatever revolution, and we are not in any way a part of any other nation's "commonwealth." Basically, the U.S. was founded on an experiment, and a pretty good one in my opinion. The idea of kings, queens and commonwealths are silly to me (Australia should be 100% independent is what I am getting at; Peter Garrett should be on their currency instead of some old British lady).

And I personally don't want to bomb "everything we can" or whatever the phrase was. I do think we should bomb all targets associated with the responsible parties and those who support them.

~U2Alabama
Old 06-26-2002, 11:53 PM   #94
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Zoiks!

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

[Bush] comes across more real and compassionate then his dad.

Bush comes across as real and compassionate?

No, Diamond, no!
Old 06-27-2002, 01:14 AM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, Pubster.

And he will be re-elected.
Just remember you heard it from me first.

Oh and it's Diet Coke.-if u wanna bet a sodie over this..
Thank you-
Diamond
Old 06-27-2002, 08:02 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I suspect Dr Who would prefer some phoo-phoo drink w/a splash of Kiwi juice in it or something.
For the love of...

My day to day drink that's usually found sitting on my desktop is either a Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.

My favorite non-alcoholic drink is usually a mixture of juices. What those juices are depends on my mood at the time. Therefore, get back to me.

My favorite alcoholic drink is a Long Island Iced Tea. Phoo-phoo that ya wimp!
Old 06-27-2002, 08:09 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

P.S. Diamond: Bush is already coming across as the biggest dolt/cheapskate president. Know that $500 million that Bush pledged to Bono that he'd use to help African nations? Well, Congress had already approved this amount! In fact, Congress approved MORE and Bush cut the funds. He offerred $200 million now and then $150 million a year later. That's DECREASING the funds, not increasing them.

The Bush's have used every opportunity to cut and decrease foreign aid, while carefully manipulating the acts of Congress. We have seen no new advances on this war on terrorism - in fact, it seems worse. The economy is still dropping and more huge companies than ever are suddenly declaring their bankruptcy or "accounting errors." Each week I read how tens of thousands are losing their job.

At this point in time, I do not think Bush is an adequate, let alone great, president.

Fortunately for him, he has over 2 years to turn things around. If the Democrats offer a weak opponent of if the economy takes a huge upswing or if the war on terrorism produces one major action (such as the capture of Bin Laden), Bush might win a re-election. If that happens, we can expect more budget cuts on foreign aid, more big businesses to closer and more Mid-East problems. Lucky us!
Old 06-27-2002, 08:31 AM   #98
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
P.S. Diamond: Bush is already coming across as the biggest dolt/cheapskate president. Know that $500 million that Bush pledged to Bono that he'd use to help African nations? Well, Congress had already approved this amount! In fact, Congress approved MORE and Bush cut the funds. He offerred $200 million now and then $150 million a year later. That's DECREASING the funds, not increasing them.

The Bush's have used every opportunity to cut and decrease foreign aid, while carefully manipulating the acts of Congress. We have seen no new advances on this war on terrorism - in fact, it seems worse. The economy is still dropping and more huge companies than ever are suddenly declaring their bankruptcy or "accounting errors." Each week I read how tens of thousands are losing their job.

At this point in time, I do not think Bush is an adequate, let alone great, president.

Fortunately for him, he has over 2 years to turn things around. If the Democrats offer a weak opponent of if the economy takes a huge upswing or if the war on terrorism produces one major action (such as the capture of Bin Laden), Bush might win a re-election. If that happens, we can expect more budget cuts on foreign aid, more big businesses to closer and more Mid-East problems. Lucky us!
Cheapskate President?.. Please look at the measures he has signed.. 1. The largest Farmer's Subsidy Ever 2. This Worthless Airport Security Measure 3. Talking about Prescription Drugs 4. The Biggest Education Bill Ever.. Frankly, I don't think you really have anything to complain about if you were forced to have a republican in office.

The War On Terrorism?.. No Progress?.. Just a few days ago there was this huuuge Gun battle in the Phillipines where some top ranked Members were killed.. Progress. Yes.. An American Terrorist was stopped.. Remember Pidilla?.. Abu Zabadeyah (Not sure how to spell) one of the top Five people in Al Queda was captured.. This is great progress.. There was a poll out just recently where only a third of Americans thought we were winning the WoT.. Pay attention a bit more.. We're doing a lot of good things.

Accounting Scandals?.. Business Scandals.. All learned from the Clintons who spent their each and every day wondering how they could slip by the law.

Bush Has made a great speech on the Middle East.. surely you see that?.. And with that he had washed his hands clean of that situation, now we can focus on Iraq.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 06-27-2002, 08:46 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge

It is named after Troy because he paid for it.
ohhh, troy he's great, took my bills out on more than i occasion
Old 06-27-2002, 10:09 AM   #100
War Child

I realize I don't need post this...it doesn't matter that much...but it's the principle of it, people!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

a) I'm done with this thread.

b) I stated he has the charachter for those things. I did not state that those things were facts.

Character:
2 a : one of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish an individual b (1) : a feature used to separate distinguishable things into categories; also : a group or kind so separated <advertising of a very primitive character>
Come on Elvis! You're telling me you can't see the double standard here? You're accusing someone of something and you don't have the facts to back it up. I don't think putting "character" in front of it makes it less of an accusation. You're making an accusation about his character. If you don't want people to throw out accusations without facts (a very common thing to do), then don't turn around and do it yourself a few posts later; or at the very least, recognize that you're doing it.

Imagine this......
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaka

Elvis has the character to lie about George Bush and to tell people not to accuse someone of something without facts, while he does it himself. But those things never happened did they? Neither did the holocaust, Kosovo, or the Japanese incampment... right? lol.
Sounds like Chaka is accusing someone. If he posted something like that, I would hope you would expect him to have facts to back it up.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:12 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite

Cheapskate President?..
You read right. He's taking things that CONGRESS did (which, I admit surprises me) and then REDUCES the funding and then makes it sound like it was HIS idea to give this aid. Blah.

Also, the subsidies he's granting actually HURT Africa more because it decreases the ability of these countries to trade.

He is not a hero of mine - but at present, I fear Diamond would be right in that if elections were held today, he'd win. Of course, since he didn't really win last time, I guess it would be nice for him to officially win this time.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:18 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
Also, the subsidies he's granting actually HURT Africa more because it decreases the ability of these countries to trade.
Quite right. The farmer subsidy is a form of protectionism and effectively places a tariff on the few imports that most African nations could possibly hope to sell. Thus it hurts them quite a bit. However, the U.S. has no qualms about turning around and preaching to them about the merits of free trade and indeed the IMF and World Bank require many African debtor countries to drop their tariffs as a condition of aid. Thus cheap American imports flood their markets and they are unable to export the few things they have, creating an even higher imbalance of trade and contributing to their already staggering debt. It's a stunning bit of hypocrisy on our part.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:46 AM   #103
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

It's a stunning bit of hypocrisy on our part.
definitely. There was a good article on this (specifically U.S. cotton subsidies and their effect on cotton farmers in Mali), in yesterday's WSJ.

The decision by congress to pass this farm bill, and by Bush to sign it, sent me through the roof. I realize that their reasoning is that if we jack-up our agricultural subsidies up to the level of Europe's, then we have something to give up when we ask them to give up subsidies. That's backward thinking if you ask me.

It may work in the end, but it's hypocritical, and it makes matters much worse for farmers in countries that can't afford the massive subsidies of the U.S. and Europe.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:09 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Dr Who-
I dont think its productive to call our Commander In Chief a CheapAss.
He has ALOT on his plate right now. I'm sure Africa is on his mind and this is WHY he will be visiting Africa himself SOON.
You see he is LISTENING to Bono and Brother O Niell...
The DIFFERENCE is this Republicans have a DIFFERENT form of methodology of getting a task ACCOMPLISHED.
The PAST methods have FAILED. Republicans tend to be MORE RESULTS oriented.
We want it DONE RIGHT this time..It will take time.
Please be patient.
That it doesnt agree w/YOUR methodology DOES NOT give you LICSENCE to throw metaphorical rocks at him.
Plus Bono likes him and his cabinet, you cannot take that from him-(Bush)
Also-
He WON the election fair and square.. just ask the Supreme Court.

Some of YOU are MORE partisan and WORSE than the Republicans that were TRYING to crucify Bubba when he got his penis caught in his zipper and literally SULLIED the Oval office.
Will you please stop?

For the people who have called me names and labeled me here in this thread..my response is- "small potatos"
Name calling is beneath me.
Thanks for reading.
diamond
Old 06-27-2002, 12:12 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:01 PM
diamond, no offense, but i think you're a little too obsessed with what bono thinks and in the grand scheme of things (as much as i admire bono and his actions) it matters little.