It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2002, 01:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
It may be a bit far to suggest that Clinton was a Chamberlain (and Gore would have been another Chamberlain), and Bush is a Winston Churchhill... but the parallels are there.
Is Blair to Bush what Mussolini was to Hitler?
__________________

__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 01:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 05:52 PM

What about Bush's internal politics? Is everybody happy about that too?
__________________

__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 02:16 PM   #18
Refugee
 
Achtung Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: One Nation. Under God.
Posts: 1,513
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Is Blair to Bush what Mussolini was to Hitler?
HUH?
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The author of the preceding is known
for engaing in very long discussions.
Achtung Bubba is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 04:58 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Well, in the recent past when another US President w/high approval ratings got involved in a war..
Until here I thought you were going to say something about George Bush senior. He got involved in a war (Gulf War, the USA moved the Iraqi's out of Kuwait and the US Army lost their Vietnam syndrom). A year later he lost the election to Bill Clinton.

Just wanted to mention it...

Marty
__________________
Popmartijn is online now  
Old 06-25-2002, 05:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn


Until here I thought you were going to say something about George Bush senior. He got involved in a war (Gulf War, the USA moved the Iraqi's out of Kuwait and the US Army lost their Vietnam syndrom). A year later he lost the election to Bill Clinton.

Just wanted to mention it...

Marty
actually that had more to do with breaking his 'no new taxes' campaign pledge than the Gulf War
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 07:09 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Bush, Sr. also had high approval ratings as well around the Gulf War. People, ultimately, are fickle, but, currently, I think his approval has to do with terrorism concerns more than anything.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 07:47 PM   #22
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


Is Blair to Bush what Mussolini was to Hitler?


I just love how some people outside America love to make these bold proclamations, your media must be doing a fine job if your opinion of Bush is near that of Hitler.

Of course, jealousy twists perception admittedly.
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 07:59 PM   #23
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I'll take a guess
Clinton would have realised that his popularity would go through the roof by bombing just about anything that one could possible bomb out there and do just so
Thats just an ongoing arrogant attitude and I am really disgusted by it. As a government civilian for the air force and a former soldier of the army, I am sick and fucking tired of being portrayed as "reckless cowboys, war-mongering, bombastic", or whatever else you want to throw up there.

Just because your country doesn't do a DAMNED thing to help others out besides themselves (i.e. humanitarian missions, peace-keeping missions, liberation) doesn't mean you have to keep this agenda of yours up where every time Bush or Americans our own pride in our country is mentioned your response is snide if not scathing.
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 08:50 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Bush, Sr. also had high approval ratings as well around the Gulf War. People, ultimately, are fickle, but, currently, I think his approval has to do with terrorism concerns more than anything.

Melon
I think at the end of the day THAT-
-Bush will be reelected..
-he WONT make the same mistakes as his Pappy..he has a better "machine"..(handlers/advisors)
-he comes across more real and compassionate then his dad.-ask Bono.

Melon is partially right.
His character overshadows the terrorists' characters while you were always wondering about his(GW's) predessesor's character( Clinton)..which diminished his ability to lead in a war time situation.

diamond
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 09:13 PM   #25
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Melon is partially right.
His character overshadows the terrorists' characters while you were always wondering about his(GW's) predessesor's character( Clinton)..which diminished his ability to lead in a war time situation.

diamond
The only time Clinton ever launched an attack was to distract our attention while he zipped up his pants
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 09:22 PM   #26
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
 
Lemonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge


Thats just an ongoing arrogant attitude and I am really disgusted by it. As a government civilian for the air force and a former soldier of the army, I am sick and fucking tired of being portrayed as "reckless cowboys, war-mongering, bombastic", or whatever else you want to throw up there.

Just because your country doesn't do a DAMNED thing to help others out besides themselves (i.e. humanitarian missions, peace-keeping missions, liberation) doesn't mean you have to keep this agenda of yours up where every time Bush or Americans our own pride in our country is mentioned your response is snide if not scathing.
I haven't much entered this foray of discussion because I mean... we can't really burst's these people's idealistic bubbles.. that'd be discriminatory.. But now my pride for my country has bubbled over.. mostly because I'm watching American Idol, and feeling kinda abashed at the poor display of performers, that I must pull out one of the givens.. one of the known great things abouto ur country.. and with that..

Z..You know.. this is exactly right.. We've said it before on this forum...

Europeans have called our statements BS.. that 'They know how to do things' (Diplomacy.. or Bending over.. take your pick).. but things like the latest sweeping wave of antisemitism in Europe.. It's labeled as 'being sympathetic to these poor suffering palestinians', but let's get serious here.. these 'poor people' want to kill every Israeli..

I've also made this statement before.. America and its military is what is keeping democracy.. representative government, and well shit.. Freedom alive in this world.. If we were to go down.. There isn't a damn thing anyone would be able to do to stop whoever knocked us and any other evil groups from controlling the whole world.. I got laughed at the last time i said that, but It's the truth.. anyone that denies it is out of touch.

I mean.. take Z Edge's point.. all these humanitarian missions.. Everything revolves around us taking part in it.. Kyoto.. it's worthless unless we sign it.. (Though Canada and Australia have not signed it either..).. Bono's Debt Relief.. Who's wallet is Bono trying to open?.. OURS.. not Britains, or hell.. China's..

To get back to what Z Edge was saying about people knocking us.. Be thankful you have these "reckless cowboys, war-mongering, bombastic" AssHoles taking out the governments that would like nothing better than to end your life.

A little emotional.. or maybe just Angered at how bad American Idol really is... The last giirl just sang 'Save the Best for Last'.. Come on.. I mean.. that song kept Joe Public's Live and Learn from reaching number one.. it should be banned from any public performances jsut for that..


L.Unplugged
__________________
Lemonite is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 09:30 PM   #27
Refugee
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,538
Local Time: 04:52 PM
I wouldn't call Bush the next Winston Churchill.

Ant.
__________________
Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Anthony is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 09:40 PM   #28
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite


I've also made this statement before.. America and its military is what is keeping democracy.. representative government, and well shit.. Freedom alive in this world.. If we were to go down.. There isn't a damn thing anyone would be able to do to stop whoever knocked us and any other evil groups from controlling the whole world.. I got laughed at the last time i said that, but It's the truth.. anyone that denies it is out of touch.
Exactly, and perhaps this very thought is what brings these "out of touch folks" to their level of disdain for us through jealousy of their own neglect.

Quote:
I mean.. take Z Edge's point.. all these humanitarian missions.. Everything revolves around us taking part in it.. Kyoto.. it's worthless unless we sign it.. (Though Canada and Australia have not signed it either..).. Bono's Debt Relief.. Who's wallet is Bono trying to open?.. OURS.. not Britains, or hell.. China's..
sounds familiar

Quote:
To get back to what Z Edge was saying about people knocking us.. Be thankful you have these "reckless cowboys, war-mongering, bombastic" AssHoles taking out the governments that would like nothing better than to end your life.
You just nailed it.

OF course the laughing can start now. Perhaps we should all just burn our history books and smoke dope until the camp fire itself sings peaceful songs of peace, harmony, and flowers. Then we can import the terrorists into a flight schools all over the world.
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 09:56 PM   #29
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
 
Lemonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge

Perhaps we should all just burn our history books and smoke dope until the camp fire itself sings peaceful songs of peace, harmony, and flowers.
With all those forests the environmental crazies are protecting that are going up in smoke ..you can probably light up there.. right next to the last dying Snow Owl.

L.Unplugged
__________________
Lemonite is offline  
Old 06-25-2002, 10:23 PM   #30
The Fly
 
Hi Bias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southwest, U S
Posts: 49
Local Time: 04:52 PM
June 25, 2002

The Reality Thing

By PAUL KRUGMAN


You can say this about the Bush administration: where others might see problems, it sees opportunities.
A slump in the economy was an opportunity to push a tax cut that provided very little stimulus in the short run, but will place huge demands on the budget in 2010. An electricity shortage in California was an opportunity to push for drilling in Alaska, which would have produced no electricity and hardly any oil until 2013 or so. An attack by lightly armed terrorist infiltrators was an opportunity to push for lots of heavy weapons and a missile defense system, just in case Al Qaeda makes a frontal assault with tank divisions or fires an ICBM next time.

President George H. W. Bush once confessed that he was somewhat lacking in the "vision thing." His son's advisers don't have that problem: they have a powerful vision for America's future. In that future, we have recently learned, the occupant of the White House will have the right to imprison indefinitely anyone he chooses, including U.S. citizens, without any judicial process or review. But they are rather less interested in the reality thing.

For the distinctive feature of all the programs the administration has pushed in response to real problems is that they do little or nothing to address those problems. Problems are there to be used to pursue the vision. And a problem that won't serve that purpose, whether it's the collapse of confidence in corporate governance or the chaos in the Middle East, is treated as an annoyance to be ignored if possible, or at best addressed with purely cosmetic measures. Clearly, George W. Bush's people believe that real-world problems will solve themselves, or at least won't make the evening news, because by pure coincidence they will be pre-empted by terror alerts.

But real problems, if not dealt with, have a way of festering. In the last few weeks, a whole series of problems seem to have come to a head. Yesterday's speech notwithstanding, Middle East policy is obviously adrift. The dollar and the stock market are plunging, threatening an already shaky economic recovery. Amtrak has been pushed to the edge of shutdown, because it couldn't get the administration's attention. And the federal government itself is about to run out of money, because House Republicans are unwilling to face reality and increase the federal debt limit. (This avoidance thing seems to be contagious.)

So now would be a good time to do what the White House always urges its critics to do — put partisanship aside. Will Mr. Bush be willing to set aside, even for a day or two, his drive to consolidate his political base, and actually do something that wasn't part of his preconceived agenda? Oh, never mind.

I think that most commentators missed the point of the story about Mr. Bush's commencement speech at Ohio State, the one his aide said drew on the thinking of Emily Dickinson, Pope John Paul II, Aristotle and Cicero, among others. Of course the aide's remarks were silly — but they gave us an indication of the level of sycophancy that Mr. Bush apparently believes to be his due. Next thing you know we'll be told that Mr. Bush is also a master calligrapher, and routinely swims across the Yangtze River. And nobody will dare laugh: just before Mr. Bush gave his actual, Aristotle-free speech, students at Ohio State were threatened with expulsion and arrest if they heckled him.

It's interesting to note that the planned Department of Homeland Security, while of dubious effectiveness in its announced purpose, will be protected against future Colleen Rowleys: the new department will be exempted from both whistle-blower protection and the Freedom of Information Act.

But back to the festering problems: on the economic side, this is starting to look like the most dangerous patch for the nation and the world since the summer of 1998. Back then, luckily, our economic policy was run by smart people who were prepared to learn from their mistakes. Can you say the same about this administration?
As I've noted before, the Bush administration has an infallibility complex: it never, ever, admits making a mistake. And that kind of arrogance tends, eventually, to bring disaster. You can read all about it in Aristotle.
__________________

__________________
Hi Bias is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com