It is NOT the ECONOMY Stupid for Presidentail Approval Ratings in America - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2002, 09:10 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:42 AM

My thoughts?

-- Reagan-era deregulation has rendered government ineffective, with business increasingly taking over most essential functions. I await about fifty years for the military to be privatized, after all other government functions have been privatized to prop up the otherwise stagnant stock market. First up: Medicare and Social Security to be dumped into the stock market.

-- Presidents themselves are not that powerful by design. Credit for efficient government must be properly credited to all the arms of government; and the only thing "efficient" about this administration has been its virtually bloodless (re: American soldiers) invasion of Afghanistan. Expect a whole series of diversion legislation, including wars and uproar over the wholly symbolic Pledge of Allegiance that I think most of us don't recite after high school anyway. Expect an invasion of Iraq around election time this year.

-- The economy itself was not even healthy in the Clinton era. Our "prosperity" was the result of venture capitalism on an unprofitable new industry of dot-coms, supported by periodic infusion of 401 K funds and crooked accounting schemes to placate investor confidence. The only real solution, raising wages, is the one thing conservative think-tanks refuse to consider, blaming everything on "high taxes"; despite the fact that Bush's bank-breaking tax cut has done nothing to prop up the economy, as expected by liberal think-tanks. The rich have abandoned the stock market for now, instead pouring into secure real estate investments.

-- On bin Laden: he's a Saudi multimillionaire with issues against the Saudi imperial government, which is propped up by the United States. He just uses anti-Western, anti-Semitic Islamic fanaticism as an easy way to gain support for the means to his end. Ignorance only begets more ignorance. He's also very sick (kidney failure, coupled with a form of osteoporosis), and will die soon, if he hasn't already died.

-- The key to ending terrorism? Education and stable secular governments. Neither is in the Bush Administration's agenda, as we're having enough trouble separating Christian fanaticism from our own domestic agendas.

-- No one's interested in the truth; only a romanticized bloody film, with a fuzzy, unsubstanced, sappy ending worthy of Jerry Bruckheimer.

Melon

Old 07-01-2002, 09:18 PM   #152
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
My thoughts?

-- No one's interested in the truth; only a romanticized bloody film, with a fuzzy, unsubstanced, sappy ending worthy of Jerry Bruckheimer.

Melon
Melon
I have been meaning to talk to you today after the big announcement.

Would you consider moving to my town of Norman, Oklahoma (home of OU Sooners, Congressman J.C. Watts, and the flight school where Zacharrius Mossaui got his training) and running for J.C. Watts' seat once he steps down. I can use my military background to help run your campaign, propping you as the militant that can relate to the needs of Oklahoma.

Please Melon, the Republican party needs your vision.

Old 07-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #153
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame
diamond:

you are right...that was a cute little quote z edge pulled out of his butt...

is this not a personal attack??
Old 07-16-2002, 04:39 PM   #154
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
z edge: Your particiaption in this thread is no longer needed...you have nothing of intellect to offer on this subject...maybe you should simply stick to participating in those "poll" forums...they don't require much thought. Goodbye.
another personal attack by someone
Old 07-16-2002, 06:03 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:42 AM
ZEdge is ok.
GW=Mr Someones 8 yr nightmare

Z you need to put yourself in Mr Someone's shoes
Its gotta b tough on the little fellow

DB9
Old 07-17-2002, 02:34 AM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
ZEdge is ok.
GW=Mr Someones 8 yr nightmare

Z you need to put yourself in Mr Someone's shoes
Its gotta b tough on the little fellow

DB9
Could you translate that for me please. My english is not that good.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 AM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono

Could you translate that for me please. My english is not that good.
Rono,
You are funny.
Here is your translation-

Mr Someone to Blame is a Democrat. He does NOT like GW Bush
ZEdge and I are Republicans. We like President Bush

I told Mr ZEdge to please try and emphathize w/Mr Someone.

There is a good chance that GW Bush will be reelected thereby making him stay in office for a total of 8 yrs..a very long time

Hope this helps.
Read you
DB9
Old 07-17-2002, 09:51 AM   #158
The Fly

Local Time: 09:42 AM
diamond:

As long as the stock market continues to tank, corporate scandal's are the norm and not the exception, the economy sputters along, and our civil liberties threatened GW's chances of getting re-elected diminish by the day. Latest poll has his approval ratings down 16%...this will continue right up until election night '04.

I didn't want you filling Rono's head with grand illusions!

Rob
Old 07-17-2002, 11:18 AM   #159
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
diamond:

As long as the stock market continues to tank, corporate scandal's are the norm and not the exception, the economy sputters along, and our civil liberties threatened GW's chances of getting re-elected diminish by the day. Latest poll has his approval ratings down 16%...this will continue right up until election night '04.

Rob
Corporate Scandals are the exception.. not the norm..

The Economy is Doing Extremely Well.. Johnson and Johnson Just reported an Earnings 16 % ( I think) Higher than last quarter...

Wednesday, July 17, 2002; Page A01

The recent barrage of congressional and media criticism directed at President Bush for his handling of the widening corporate financial scandal has failed to damage his popularity, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey found that Bush's job approval rating stands at 72 percent, virtually unchanged from a month ago. An equally large proportion of people still view the president as honest and trustworthy, despite recent news accounts that he benefited as a business executive from some of the same practices he now publicly criticizes.

I didn't want you insulting your own intelligence by believing faulty facts or convoluted opinions.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-17-2002, 11:52 AM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Lemonite-
I disagree.
The economy sucks right now.
Sure intersts rates are low and yadie yadie BUT it seems everyone is strapped.

In spite of this GWs Bushs rating are still robust.
Take heed
Little Geo will score in 04!
Rob-I prefer Diet Coke w a twist of LeMOOOON'
thank you

DB9
Old 07-17-2002, 11:54 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
diamond:

Rob
Well, i have no illusions about American politics, its all about being popular and selfprotection.....

BTW,.... Bush had it very easy without real opposition from the Democrats. The Democrats are to scared to go down in the polls. Everyone who is not for Bush is against the war against terror.

I hope the Democrats will get there act together and go into serious opposition. Than we will see who will be president,...
Old 07-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #162
The Fly

Now lemonite, I know what you are trying to do...trying to suck me in to attacking your (clears throat) flattering remarks about my intellect...

Let's see...since when did one company (J & J) who reported better than average earnings make for a strong economy? Let's consider the following business news today:

New housing construction down 3.6% in June.
Boeing earnings slip 7% last quarter.
Intel misses earnings forecast...4000 jobs to be cut.

Yes, companies like Coca-Cola and Ford Motor posted some nice earnings today...but do you consider 2.3% economic growth strong or anemic (as I do)? And can these earnings estimates really be trusted...in light of the accounting scandals popping up all over the place? I have some knowledge in this area...I'm a public accountant and financial planner with a mid-size private firm. We're asked by our clients to push the envelope as much as possible...and many times asked to go beyond that...I mean, the business owner really needs that loan so they have to look good to the banker's and all...happens routinely in my profession...and I'm seeing it at the local level...so don't tell me it isn't magnified 20 fold with the big boys. So I wouldn't get to giddy about a few companies beating earnings expectations yet...especially when these companies are not in the technology or the financial services sector...2 of the 3 sectors over the past 12 years that have emerged as the growth engines of our economy. When we see continued strong earnings estimates from companies in these sectors and accounting standards that work than I'll be ready to give credit where credit is due.

For every piece of good news...there are twice as many reports of bad news. Don't get me wrong...I want a strong economy as much as the next guy...but trickle-down, supply-side economics isn't the answer.

I would agree that if only a handful of companies were involved in accounting irregularities and scandal that it would be the exception, not the norm. However, we are now talking about over 35 Fortune 500 companies currently under investigation or suspicion. In addition to Enron and Arthur Andersen they include: Adelphia Communications, Bristol-Myers, Computer Associates, Dynegy, Global Crossing, Haliburton (Dick Cheney wouldn't have anything to do with them, would he?), Imclone Systems, Merrill Lynch, Quest Communications, Tyco Ltd, Martha Stewart Living, Worldcom, Xerox, etc etc. You contend corporate scandal is the exception???? I think not.

Rob
Old 07-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #163
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono

BTW,.... Bush had it very easy without real opposition from the Democrats. The Democrats are to scared to go down in the polls.

I hope the Democrats will get there act together and go into serious opposition. Than we will see who will be president
I agree. The only Democrat's so far to begin challenging this "war" and Bush in general is Al Gore and Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts. I really like Kerry...intelligent, well-spoken, Vietnam War hero...probably to liberal to get elected in a run-off against Bush, though. As for Gore...part of me would like to see him get a chance against W again...part of me wishes he stay out of the fray.

Rob
Old 07-17-2002, 12:36 PM   #164
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Now lemonite, I know what you are trying to do...trying to suck me in to attacking your (clears throat) flattering remarks about my intellect...

I would agree that if only a handful of companies were involved in accounting irregularities and scandal that it would be the exception, not the norm. However, we are now talking about over 35 Fortune 500 companies currently under investigation or suspicion. In addition to Enron and Arthur Andersen they include: Adelphia Communications, Bristol-Myers, Computer Associates, Dynegy, Global Crossing, Haliburton (Dick Cheney wouldn't have anything to do with them, would he?), Imclone Systems, Merrill Lynch, Quest Communications, Tyco Ltd, Martha Stewart Living, Worldcom, Xerox, etc etc. You contend corporate scandal is the exception???? I think not.

Rob
I did not attack you. Enough of that..

To say it is the norm?.. It's normal for people to brush their teeth at night.. It's normal for people to eat food. To say corporate scandal is the norm?.. It is a problem, but not the 'norm'.

I'm looking for the exact numbers, however, the numbers reported by the government are going to be an increase over the last report... Hence, the economy is fine.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-17-2002, 01:09 PM   #165
The Fly

Lemonite:

I appreciate your passion for contending the economy is alright...but it isn't. Economic numbers and cycles are cyclical. One good report doesn't make for a strong or even an improving economy. There needs to be a succession of good economic news on a steady basis for most experts to agree that the economy is strong.

Greenspan will only admit that he see's signs of a recovery...but even he said we are a long way from being out of the woods. I personally prepare over 1000 tax returns a year (800 individual returns and 200 or so corporate returns) for clients from all walks of economic life. In my professional position I can confidently state that I have a pretty darn good sense about the current state of our economy. I can tell you that my clients are (with a very few exceptions) feeling much trepidation about the current state of affairs...and this comes from clients of mine who lean both to the left AND right. They are not committing new dollars to capital investments or improvements...they are more in a "defensive" mode...trying to keep their respective heads above water...and not in an "offensive" mode, i.e. looking to committ new dollars towards expansion or inventories. I am spending more and more of my time each day counseling my business clients on how best to cut costs etc. With few exceptions, my clients have put a freeze on hiring new employees and choosing to forgo technology improvements. The Bush tax cut (which went disproportianately to the upper 2% of wage earners) has done NOTHING to help the majority of my clients (or Americans) in their daily lives...what it HAS done is lead us back into budgit deficits for the first time in 2 years!

This is a first hand account from small-mid size town Americana of what is REALLY happening out there. Don't be fooled by a few "encouraging" reports from biased administration officials. One quarter of good news doesn't make for a strong economy...especially when most of the "experts" are still concerned.

Rob