It is a poor argument that..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:46 PM
It is a poor argument that.....

the UNITED STATES is facing opposition only in Northern Iraq. These are people who HATED SADDAM. These are not the PRO Saddam people in Northern Iraq. How long before they stop using rocks?

[Q]Shi'ite Muslim protesters chant slogans in front of a line of U.S. troops (foreground) during a demonstration in Najaf, around 150 km south of Baghdad, July 20, 2003. More than 10,000 angry Shi'ites marched on the local offices of Iraq 's U.S.-led administration in the sacred city of Najaf to protest against alleged U.S. harassment of a prominent Shi'ite leader. REUTERS/Oleg Popov [/Q]

[Q]Shi'ite Muslim protesters chant slogans in front of a line of U.S. troops (foreground) during a demonstration in Najaf, around 150 km south of Baghdad, July 20, 2003. More than 10,000 angry Shi'ites marched on the local offices of Iraq (news - web sites)'s U.S.-led administration in the sacred city of Najaf to protest against alleged U.S. harassment of a prominent Shi'ite leader. REUTERS/Oleg Popov [/Q]

[Q]Shi'ite Muslim protesters throw rocks at a line of U.S. troops during a demonstration in Najaf, around 150 km south of Baghdad, July 20, 2003. More than 10,000 angry Shi'ites marched on the local offices of Iraq (news - web sites)'s U.S.-led administration in the sacred city of Najaf to protest against alleged U.S. harassment of a prominent Shi'ite leader. REUTERS/Oleg Popov [/Q]

Old 07-20-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
A Shi'ite Muslim protester throws rocks at a line of U.S. troops during a demonstration in Najaf, around 150 km south of Baghdad July 20, 2003. More than 10,000 angry Shi'ites marched on the local offices of Iraq (news - web sites)'s U.S.-led administration in the sacred city of Najaf to protest against alleged U.S. harassment of a prominent Shi'ite leader. REUTERS/Oleg Popov

Old 07-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Well, people still have demonstrations and throw rocks in certain parts of Bosnia and Kosovo. Hell, people do this type of thing in the United States. This form of political expression will never stop.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I know but Sting, these Shi'ite Moslems were Saddam's staunchest opponents. They were the ones who had the abortive uprising in 1991, and were persecuted by Saddam, a Sunni Moslem. They originally welcomed the U.S. and Britain into Iraq to kick Saddam out of there. Now...........this is not good.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:01 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

People in Bosnia and Kosovo welcomed US troops too. Despite most Shia not liking SADDAM, there are a few SHIA that would and have fought very hard for SADDAM in the past. In addition, there are SHIA in Iraq that have strong relations with Iran, so their anti-US stance is not a surprise. Still, were talking about a minority here.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
People in Bosnia and Kosovo welcomed US troops too. Despite most Shia not liking SADDAM, there are a few SHIA that would and have fought very hard for SADDAM in the past. In addition, there are SHIA in Iraq that have strong relations with Iran, so their anti-US stance is not a surprise. Still, were talking about a minority here.
Are people in Bosnia and Kosovo followers of the Shia tradition of Islam? I know they are Moslems, and 85% of Moslems are Sunni, but I don't know where all the Shias are. Any Moslems in the neighborhood? Some of the Shias in Iraq have strong ties to Iran. Weren't some Shias who were of Persian heritage kicked out of Iraq during the Iran-Iraq war? This is confusing..........
Old 07-20-2003, 09:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

verte76,

I believe Muslims in Bosnia and Kosovo are Sunni. Its true some Shia were kicked out of Iraq for persian heritage, but its also true that Shia formed the majority of the Iraqi regular army during the Iran/Iraq war.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 PM
sting2, it would have embarassed yourself less if you had not posted here. if all you can do is come up with comparisons to a different war from a different time as opposed to facing the music in what this thread is talking about, i suggest not posting in this thread at all.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Bear, I'm sure STING has noted your advice, however much everyone is welcome in FYM. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it, rather than the other way around.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:42 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I agree Angela. FYM would be very boring and not worth my time if I agreed with everything in here. I've learned *alot* from our fine conservative posters here.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa,

"sting2, it would have embarassed yourself less if you had not posted here. if all you can do is come up with comparisons to a different war from a different time as opposed to facing the music in what this thread is talking about, i suggest not posting in this thread at all."

This has got to be a classic.