Israeli parliament passes law against Israeli-Arab/Palestinian-Arab marriages - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Israeli parliament passes law against Israeli-Arab/Palestinian-Arab marriages

Seems like laws dealing with marriage are the latest fashion. Any thoughts on this?

Quote:
JERUSALEM - Israel's parliament passed a measure Thursday that would force Palestinians who marry Israelis to live separate lives or move out of Israel. The government said the law was necessary to prevent terror attacks, but critics called it racist.

The law, to be in effect for one year, would prevent Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza Strip who marry Israeli Arabs from obtaining residency permits in Israel.

In pushing the measure, Israel's government cited instances in which Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza have exploited their residency permits — which grant them freedom of movement in Israel — to carry out terror attacks.

"This law comes to address a security issue," Cabinet Minister Gideon Ezra told Israel Radio. "Since September 2000 we have seen a significant connection, in terror attacks, between Arabs from the West Bank and Gaza and Israeli Arabs."

The vote was 53 in favor, 25 against and one abstention.

Israeli Arabs were outraged.

"We see this law as the implementation of the 'transfer' policy by the state of Israel," said Jafar Savah from Mossawa, an advocacy center for Israeli Arabs. He was referring to a plan by ultranationalist Jewish groups to persuade or force Israeli Arabs and Palestinians to leave for Arab countries.

Savah said the law was an attempt to legalize unofficial policy that has been in effect since September 2000, when Israeli-Palestinian violence broke out. He warned that the law would damage relations between Israel and its Arab minority.

Local and international human rights groups have condemned the law as racist.

"This is a racist law that decides who can live here according to racist criteria," said Yael Stein from the Israeli rights group B'tselem.

Two New York-based rights groups, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, sent letters to the parliament protesting the law and urging lawmakers not to pass it, a statement from Human Rights Watch said.

rest of article
here on Yahoo/AP

Old 07-31-2003, 05:49 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:38 PM
That has to be the weakest argument I've heard in a long while. What is it with these marriage laws. Government trying to deny happiness to their own citizens by blocking something as harmless as marriage. Who would of thought that in the year 2003 our world would be ran by a bunch of racist homophobes whos only goal is to make everyone else just like them.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:31 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Bigots always need someone. If it isn't Jews, it's blacks. If it isn't blacks, it's immigrants. If it isn't immigrants, it's women. If it isn't women, it's terrorists. If it isn't terrorists, it's homosexuals. In all cases, it's the dominant hegemony fearful of change; fearful of losing it's autocratic grip over its culture. As the future is an inevitability, this will only get worse.

Melon
Old 07-31-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Terrorists? That's a pretty funny thing to say, that people who "discriminate" against terrorists are "bigots".
Old 07-31-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

These marriage laws in Israel and this Vatican thing about homosexual marriages begs the question, what is so wrong about people loving each other?

It truly boggles the mind that in today's day and age we would begrudge people happiness and love.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Terrorists? That's a pretty funny thing to say, that people who "discriminate" against terrorists are "bigots".
Did you read a damn thing I said? It has nothing to do with this. It's about finding a "specter" to be afraid of. If it isn't Jews, it's blacks...

Melon
Old 07-31-2003, 07:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I read a damn thing you said. I read all the damn things you said. But you also said "Bigots always need someone", and then listed the groups of people that bigots "need". What do bigots "need" people for? To discriminate.

And I get the "fear thing". But the fear of terrorists is a lot different than a fear of blacks or the others you mentioned. It's quite rational to have a fear of terrorists. A healthy fear of terrorists is what cause people to be more aware of suspicious activity, and it is a healthy fear that cause the government to set up measures by which to protect their people from terriorists.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
A healthy fear of terrorists is what cause people to be more aware of suspicious activity, and it is a healthy fear that cause the government to set up measures by which to protect their people from terriorists.
Is it a reasonable measure to prevent marriage between two people who are in love? I don't think so. I would hedge a bet that the vast majority of these marriages have absolutely nothing to do with terrorism at all.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
I read a damn thing you said. I read all the damn things you said. But you also said "Bigots always need someone", and then listed the groups of people that bigots "need". What do bigots "need" people for? To discriminate.

And I get the "fear thing". But the fear of terrorists is a lot different than a fear of blacks or the others you mentioned. It's quite rational to have a fear of terrorists. A healthy fear of terrorists is what cause people to be more aware of suspicious activity, and it is a healthy fear that cause the government to set up measures by which to protect their people from terriorists.
80s,

We could add anarchist, and communist to the list for fear monger’s scapegoats. It would have probably made more sense to you if each group were prefaced be “supposed”.

I am sure the Klan could justify the lynching of black people with the explanation they were protecting their women from being raped by Negroes. There probably were an attack or two by black men. That in no way justified their lawless actions. Well, actually it was not always lawless, even though it was always wrong and immoral to lynch.

The current scapegoating that is prevalent today is also wrong. There was not a communist under every bed in the 50s. And 9-11 terrorist fears are being exploited for political gain today.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:38 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Some Israelis see this as a security threat. Ezra told the radio that since 1993, more than 100,000 Palestinians have obtained Israeli permits in this manner. "It has grown out of control," he said.

However, Stein from B'tselem said there have been only 20 cases from these 100,000 people who have been involved in terror.
[/Q]

I really think this part from the article is interesting.

Do you really think that if 100,000 people immigrated to the US and 20 were involved in terrorist activities that cause deaths of innocent people we would not change the law in some way?

20 out of 100,000 may seem insignificant to some of you. It is pretty damn significant to me. 1 Event was enough for me.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:59 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
20 out of 100,000 may seem insignificant to some of you. It is pretty damn significant to me. 1 Event was enough for me.
Those 11 innocent Iraqis including 2 children who died while the Americans were looking for Saddam are 11 events.

Are we crying to have that stopped immediately?

I'm just saying, where does this end? Everything is an event. How many women are raped every day? How many men out of a total are rapists? Are those significant events? Where does this all end?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:06 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Those 11 innocent Iraqis including 2 children who died while the Americans were looking for Saddam are 11 events.

Are we crying to have that stopped immediately?

I'm just saying, where does this end? Everything is an event. How many women are raped every day? How many men out of a total are rapists? Are those significant events? Where does this all end?
I give. I responded to the article...using information from the article. It seems to me that a nation has a right to impose its own immigration laws when they have been subjected to terrorist attacks by another group of people.

It's my opinion.

I am not sure about your post or what about mine brought it to this but if you think because I am for stronger immigration rules, or feel that another nation has the right to have their own immigration rules that I am for or pleased by the EVENTS you listed above, you have somehow misread my post.

Peace
Old 07-31-2003, 09:16 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Is it a reasonable measure to prevent marriage between two people who are in love? I don't think so. I would hedge a bet that the vast majority of these marriages have absolutely nothing to do with terrorism at all.
anitram, I think you misunderstood what I was talking about. I was talking strictly about terrorists. I wasn't even addressing the posted article at all.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:18 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

80s,

We could add anarchist, and communist to the list for fear monger’s scapegoats. It would have probably made more sense to you if each group were prefaced be “supposed”.
Why yes, it would have. Thanks for explaining it to me; it makes sense to me now.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:25 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I would agree with you that this is true. The vast majority of the marriages probably have nothing to do with terrorism.

That said, the law does not prevent marriages. It prevents the spouses from entering the country. They can marry and move away. I do not like saying these words, and deep down I think it is a shitty law. But I still believe that countries have a right to make laws to protect its citizens and restrict immigration.

Peace