Isolated Tribe Found In Brazil - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Isolated Tribe Found In Brazil

Quote:
One of South America's few remaining uncontacted indigenous tribes has been spotted and photographed on the border between Brazil and Peru.

The Brazilian government says it took the images to prove the tribe exists and help protect its land.

The pictures, taken from an aeroplane, show red-painted tribe members brandishing bows and arrows.

More than half the world's 100 uncontacted tribes live in Brazil or Peru, Survival International says.

Stephen Corry, the director of the group - which supports tribal people around the world - said such tribes would "soon be made extinct" if their land was not protected.
BBC NEWS | Americas | Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

Amazing! Here it is the 21st century, and there are still isolated people being found!

Sad thing is, I wouldn't be surprised that in 20 years, their homes and way of life would be destroyed, and these people would be wearing jeans and t-shirts and using cellphones (or the equivalent of).

Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Im curious to know if these people know life exists outside their home, especially advanced civilized life. The news reporter today said the tribe probably thought it was a big bird or large spirit.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
War Child

Location: Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
BBC NEWS | Americas | Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

Amazing! Here it is the 21st century, and there are still isolated people being found!

Sad thing is, I wouldn't be surprised that in 20 years, their homes and way of life would be destroyed, and these people would be wearing jeans and t-shirts and using cellphones (or the equivalent of).
Sure, you are right. And that began with the first colonizers, that annihilated the indian people and imposed a new culture, a "civilized culture".
Old 05-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:08 PM
I feel really sorry for them. Here they've had their own little lives as they know it, and that will be changed forever.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
I feel really sorry for them. Here they've had their own little lives as they know it, and that will be changed forever.
Not necessarily, the Brazilian government decided not to disclose the exact location of the tribe and has also announced to protect them from any contact.

We can only hope there are not any bone-headed, greedy journalists or others trying to find them and making a quick buck. Well, we can only hope...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:08 AM
The noble savage is alive and well.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

The pictures are all over the web, I'm sure they will be "found" sooner or later. I doubt very much that the blessings that contact with the so-called "civilised" world would bring will be making their lives any better. This might be a little naive, but I'm sure they are better off while in "isolation", what possible improvemt would it bring for their lives to see the outside world? I guess it will be a huge shock.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Obviously genocidal germs, cultural annihilation and long term exclusion from governance are not desireable outcomes but are we really to take hunter-gatherer societies as the be all and end all?

This prime directive non-interference policy has some things going for it, but it doesn't feel clear cut.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

^ How would you propose deciding when and to what extent pursuing further contact is OK? What if the tribe in question has responded violently to previous attempts at initiating contact?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that limited contact via intermediaries or employing knowledge about similar tribes to approach in a very passive and non-aggressive fashion and then explaining the situation to leaders would be approaching appropriate. A sustained and reciprocal long term engagement would be the desirable outcome. To formulate such an approach I would call in the anthropologists and ethicists.

I don't feel that keeping people cut off from the rest of the world simply to preserve their way of life is in and of itself a good and just thing, they should have a choice in the matter.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 02:08 PM
I've been reading about this more and more in the news this week. Interdesting discovery and I do hope that the Brazilian Government or some kind of authorities can keep the outside world away from the Tribe. Poor people are going to completely freak out if and when they learn about another world outside theirs especially if people begin trying to infiltrate their land to get a closer look. Ha! Those are liekly to get a tribal arrow fired at their dumb asses! Like I said, I find this whole story fascinating but my vote is to leave the poor tribe alone.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I find it odd when people start talking about they 'should' be left alone. It would be highly unfair for them to be suddenly bombarded by modern civilisation, the culture shock would be immense. But should they be left alone to suffer a readily curable medical condition or for a violent leader to remain in charge etc...not saying that is how their society is though, but many people would like to impose a way of life in many states and peoples across the world ie. China, the Middle East...but when it comes to a wee tribe, you get a some what patronising attitude of 'aww shucks people should just leave the poor people alone'.

That said these folk exist outside our world, but I don't think just because they have always lived a certain way they 'should' continue to exist that way, as Wanderer said they should be allowed to see what options they have available to them.

There really isn't a right choice in how to handle them, but they will come in contact with the world eventually and it would probably be better if someone made some kind of contact in a reasonable manner than for the world to suddenly appear on their doorstep.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Its truly amazing that people still live like that in the world. I say leave them alone. I hope they will be protected.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:28 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Those pictures almost look staged.

They even took time to put on different color body paint.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I think that limited contact via intermediaries or employing knowledge about similar tribes to approach in a very passive and non-aggressive fashion and then explaining the situation to leaders would be approaching appropriate. A sustained and reciprocal long term engagement would be the desirable outcome. To formulate such an approach I would call in the anthropologists and ethicists.
But what do you do if they are flat-out uninterested in even limited contact? It reminds me of one of the most mysterious of the uncontacted tribes, the Sentinelese of Sentinel Island in the Indian Ocean. They have treated every attempt to contact them with utmost hostility and they have no interest in engaging with us. It also doesn't help that their language is completely undecipherable, even to neighboring tribes on other islands.