Isn't everyone a hypocrite? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #16
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase
I don't think indra is saying everyone's character is defined by hypocrisy, rather that everyone acts in a hypocritical way (puts on a false appearance of commendable qualities) from time to time.

I, for one, totally agree. I know I'm that way.
Some people say hypocrisy is a religion thing. I believe it to be a human thing.
Indra's title thread: "Isn't everyone a hypocrite ?"

Not: "Has everyone occasionally acted in a hypocritical fashion?"
__________________

__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 12-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #17
War Child
 
Spiral_Staircase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 679
Local Time: 09:59 PM

heh...good point, cardosino.

However misleading the title may be, I was just going off the content of indra's original post. I don't think she/he (sorry, indra, I don't know you) was saying your defining characteristic is hypocrisy, but I could be wrong.
__________________

__________________
Spiral_Staircase is offline  
Old 12-20-2004, 05:13 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


Indra's title thread: "Isn't everyone a hypocrite ?"

Not: "Has everyone occasionally acted in a hypocritical fashion?"
I'll stand by the title. It is not "Isn't everyone always a hypocrite?" which is how you are reading it. If you act in a hypocritical fashion (even only occasionally), you are, at that time, a hypocrite. So although you are not always a hypocrite, you are at times a hypocrite, and to claim you aren't makes you...well...you know.

And I'll also maintain that Rush Limbaugh is a good example of a hypocrite. (and an asshole)
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-20-2004, 06:39 PM   #19
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


I'll stand by the title. It is not "Isn't everyone always a hypocrite?" which is how you are reading it. If you act in a hypocritical fashion (even only occasionally), you are, at that time, a hypocrite. So although you are not always a hypocrite, you are at times a hypocrite, and to claim you aren't makes you...well...you know.

And I'll also maintain that Rush Limbaugh is a good example of a hypocrite. (and an asshole)
I stand by what I said also. You did NOT qualify it by putting "occasionally" in your thread. By not doing so, I have to answer no, I am not.

There's a question of "tense" which quite frankly I don't think you quite grasp either.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 12-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 10:59 PM
I agree that everyone's a hypocrite at some time or another - including me.
__________________
Bono's shades is offline  
Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:59 PM
I think it would make me a bigger hypocrite to call someone else a hypocrite.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


I stand by what I said also. You did NOT qualify it by putting "occasionally" in your thread. By not doing so, I have to answer no, I am not.

There's a question of "tense" which quite frankly I don't think you quite grasp either.
Wow. You really are a special one aren't you?

And I'm actually quite relaxed, thank you very much.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 12:14 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
And I'll also maintain that Rush Limbaugh is a good example of a hypocrite. (and an asshole)
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Is everyone a hypocrite? Or are we moved to give people labels?
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-24-2004, 08:01 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 03:59 AM
I think it's more accurate and fair to say "no one is perfect". It's true, and there's nothing we can do about the fact that human beings are imperfect. We just have to accept it, which can be very hard.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com