Islamic Progress - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Is it about religion or about abuse? What's religious about ruining a girl's sexual life like that? The damage it causes to young women far outweighs some protection religious freedom affords, surely.
I am not certain that everyone agrees with this stance. I do...

But, if it has something to do with religion, it is always easy to say who are you to interfere with my religious beliefs.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

But, if it has something to do with religion, it is always easy to say who are you to interfere with my religious beliefs.
Your religious rights end where public peril begins.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Your religious rights end where public peril begins.
My religious rights? I already said I do not hold this position. But there are many when it comes to other topics, who would scream it loudly from the highest mountaintop.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:49 AM
That is true, and noble. The big however though, is we should be able, and free, and willing to say NO to what others do which harms someone else. I dont want to cause a fight or bring up a whole slew of apples and oranges debate, but dont we often use our own moral principles to react to a percieved wrong? And sometimes even violently so? Why do we take a stand on some issues and not others? Is religion the one thing which we exclude from interfering in only? I'm not calling it hypocrisy, dont be offended, but I do see it as inconsistency.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'm not calling it hypocrisy, dont be offended, but I do see it as inconsistency.
I am not, I just think that there is hypocracy. Sadly, I think many who are "religious" are more than willing to interject their own moral beliefs, yet when the table is turned, they get their panties in a bunch.

Maybe this is not the thread for me to be going in this direction.

I am glad the religious leaders have spoken out on something.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:49 AM
This is far from the first time prominent Muslim clerics have condemned the practice; both of these men (Grand Sheikh Tantawy and Grand Mutfi Goma) have spoken out against it before, as have many other imams. In some cases imams simply stress that the practice has no basis in Islamic law (which leaves it open to support from other forms of authority), while others go further by invoking unjust-harm principles of Islamic law to make a specifically Muslim argument against it. Islam has no "Vatican" however, nor any concept of imam "infallibility", so it's difficult to anticipate how much influence such pronouncements will have, especially in tradition-bound rural areas where enforcement (including of the state-sanctioned variety) is lacking, and what "our elders" say tends to have the last word. The situation is vaguely analogous to some of the difficulties both religious and secular reformers have run into with attempting to end certain practices traditional to some tribal regions of western Pakistan and eastern Afghanistan (gang rape as an instrument of punishment for "unchastity", for example)--what clerics and legislators in Islamabad say carries little weight, and local imams and officials who have condemned such practices have been run out of their villages on occasion.

I think the fact that this conference was organized by a German human rights group has simply brought it more international media attention than such pronouncements usually get...which may or may not enhance their impact. The incidence of the practice in Egypt has been dropping in any case however, so there is reason for optimism.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

My religious rights? I already said I do not hold this position. But there are many when it comes to other topics, who would scream it loudly from the highest mountaintop.
I meant it in a general sense. They can scream all they want, but there are limits to be placed on their rights, just like there are limits placed on all of our rights where public peril and harm are concerned.