Islamic Iconoclasm - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Islamic Iconoclasm

Quote:
A religiously motivated attack on statues at a museum in Cairo has sparked outcry in Egypt and fuelled fears that the country is veering towards an Islamic state.

The attack on three artworks, by a black-clad and veiled woman screaming, “Infidels, infidels!” followed a fatwa issued by the Grand Mufti of Cairo, Ali Gomaa, which banned all decorative statues of living beings.

It led to furious criticism of the mufti from Egyptian liberals. In a televised debate with the mufti after the attack, one poet raged that “the prevalent religious discourse in the country encourages terror”.

Although the ancient treasures of Egypt have been protected under Islam so far, an increasing extremism in the country could make statues such as the quartzite head of Nefertiti, the colossus of Amenhotep, and the golden death mask of Tutankhamen possible targets in future.

At the scene of the attack, in the villa and museum of the Egyptian sculptor, Hassan Heshmat, guards said they had been woken in the middle of the night by the woman’s shouts and the sounds of destruction.

“It was a fully covered, religious woman,” said Raisa Intesar, who looks after both the museum and Mr Heshmat, who is now 86. “She had jumped over the wall. We rushed out to stop her but by the time we had overpowered her, she had destroyed three statues.”
link

Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:50 PM
"Why don't fundamentalist Christians eat kosher?"

freedom in Christ

Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
"Why don't fundamentalist Christians eat kosher?"

freedom in Christ
It has more to do with custom. An overzealous reader of the Gospel of Matthew could easily come to the opposite conclusion.

Melon
Old 06-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:50 PM

I was concerned about, if Roy "Granite Idol" Moore had won the Republican Primary 2 weeks ago and become our governor, would he have banned us from eating cheeseburgers and drinking certain types of beer...

These "reforms" taking place in Egypt would go after many good barbecue (pork) restaurants and beer joints if they were to ever reach Alabama.

~U2Alabama
Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It has more to do with custom. An overzealous reader of the Gospel of Matthew could easily come to the opposite conclusion.

Melon
True, that is why we need to compare Scripture with Scripture.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 PM
I didn't know Roy Moore wanted to ban cheeseburgers. Seriously, this is disturbing news for all of us who love antiquities.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:10 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Just to clarify something - the law is basically summed up by 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
(Matt. 22:37-40)

Essentially, obeying God is very easy. Don't get hung up on which laws are "custom laws for the day" and which laws were mean to last forever. If you can honestly check your motivation and find that it is in step with this Golden Law, then you know that you are in Christ. Strangely enough, you will find when you are motivated by Love you end up obeying God more than ever. For instance, if you love someone would you want to steal from them? Sleep with their wife? Lie to them?

Of course not.

God is a genius.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:50 PM
I just wish that people would realize that 99% of the Muslim population isn't like this. Whether or not you agree with the scripture or whatever (which has been grossly taken out of context in the media IMO), at least look at the majority of the people.

These extremists are people who are "following" religion for the wrong reasons. Some of them are pissed off because of the shitty condition of their home countries, others think they can get an easy way into heaven (which is totally against the spirit of Islam.. the whole message is that life is a struggle... and the struggle (aka jihad) is with your inner self, your desire... not with politics or war...)
Old 06-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
New Yorker

I think if this thread were about radical "christians" it would get a lot more people on here bashing the perpetrators. Sad but true...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Disciple
I think if this thread were about radical "christians" it would get a lot more people on here bashing the perpetrators. Sad but true...
Bash the perpetrators but don't paint everyone with the same brush. I think it's obvious that everyone here thinks the perpetrators are stupid. It's implied.

Oh and I find myself having to want to defend Muslims every time I come into this forum section so I doubt your theory is true.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bcrt2000
I just wish that people would realize that 99% of the Muslim population isn't like this.
Then shout out and hijack your religion back from the extremist! Fight against this! I hear this quote over and over but I DO NOT hear public outcry from the Muslim community about the extremist.

If Chrisitians were out there today sawing off heads and chanting "Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ!" - There would be a public outcry that would hurt your ears. And I would do everything within my power to stop it.

Please help me understand why the Muslim community continues to be eerily quiet regarding the extremist. Is it fear of reprisal? I am genuinely curious.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Essentially, obeying God is very easy. Don't get hung up on which laws are "custom laws for the day" and which laws were mean to last forever. If you can honestly check your motivation and find that it is in step with this Golden Law, then you know that you are in Christ.

sounds like a good way to understanding what's been talked about so extensively in other threads -- the "custom of the day" was that there was no contemporary understanding of authentic homoseuxality.

just saying.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If Chrisitians were out there today sawing off heads and chanting "Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ!" - There would be a public outcry that would hurt your ears. And I would do everything within my power to stop it.

Please help me understand why the Muslim community continues to be eerily quiet regarding the extremist. Is it fear of reprisal? I am genuinely curious.

well, i dont' think you're listening hard enough.

but a question: hasn't Christianity had the same historical problem with such extremism? what were the Crusades?

i think we're right to call out extremists of any religion, but we also make a mistake thinking that extremism is limited to one religion, for it is the nature of religon itself -- *any* religion -- that can lead an individual to murderous ends in the name of God, the eternal justifier for any and all actions.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

One big difference is that Christ never taught to kill or convert. Those Christians that do are doing things in the name of Christ, but are not actually doing what Christ commanded them to do.

The same cannot be said regarding Islam. Not only did Mohammed teach this principle, he lived it.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
One big difference is that Christ never taught to kill or convert. Those Christians that do are doing things in the name of Christ, but are not actually doing what Christ commanded them to do.

The same cannot be said regarding Islam. Not only did Mohammed teach this principle, he lived it.

well, i'm hardly a scholar of Islam, but many Muslims feel the same way you would about killing in the name of Christ in regards to that tiny percentage of the worlds billion and a half Muslims who kill in the name of Islam.