Islamic Iconoclasm - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Well maybe it's because India has a population of 1 Billion people and they would be to afraid to try and take on 1 Billion people. Do you feel that Islam is going back wards or progressing to the future?
It depends on the country. In Afghanistan, it's going backward. The Deobandi sect of Islam, originally from India, is the "spiritual ancestor" of the Taliban. The burka is a Central Asian garment which women in Afghanistan have to wear, whether or not they like it. By the same token, in Turkey it's possible, in theory, to have a mosque, a synagogue, and a church on the same street. They're looking to the future. In Saudi Arabia they're going nowhere, the Wahhabists are running the show and the religious police there will bust you if you're female and you're caught with a man who's neither your husband or brother. You could get killed.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

In Saudi Arabia they're going nowhere, the Wahhabists are running the show and the religious police there will bust you if you're female and you're caught with a man who's neither your husband or brother. You could get killed.
This is just so heartbreaking to me. I have a seven year old step daughter and to think something like this could ever happen to her really tugs at my soul. And the reality is, there are thousands, if not millions, of little girls and women who live under this sort of oppression.

Life is just too precious to be lived like this.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

This is just so heartbreaking to me. I have a seven year old step daughter and to think something like this could ever happen to her really tugs at my soul. And the reality is, there are thousands, if not millions, of little girls and women who live under this sort of oppression.

Life is just too precious to be lived like this.
It's awful. It's a very repressive regime.