"Is your car gay?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judah

War Child
Got this from Huffington Post. (In addition to the homophobia angle, the write-up is also about the growing credibility of web-based journalism.) I am freakin' amazed at some of the insidious stuff that's going on in the U.S. to discriminate against homosexuals. I'm sure Stephen Harper here in Canada is watching and learning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-kaplan/is-your-car-gay_b_11778.html

"A case study in new media ecology is being played out in real time right now. The Ford Motor Company, bowing to pressure from Reverend Donald Wildmon’s American Family Association, has pulled its advertising from gay publications. The reason, Wildmon told Ford, was that his people would stop buying Fords if Ford insisted on pumping advertising dollars into publications that support “the homosexual agenda.” Wildmon was also unhappy that Ford supports workplace diversity and contributes to LGBT causes.

"In one amazing example of the distributed intelligence that the Web has become, Aravosis published a clip from a trade publication which named the two Ford negotiators who cut the anti-gay deal with Wildmon: David Leitch and Ziad Ojakli. And then, overnight, the commenters on Aravosis’s blog figured out that Leitch and Ojakli were both former senior Bush White House officials."

Last edited:
good gays live in progressive metropolitan areas with good public transportation and therefore don't own cars.

;)

Irvine511 said:
good gays live in progressive metropolitan areas with good public transportation and therefore don't own cars.

;)
But what about Seattle? What are the boys on Capitol Hill supposed to do? We all voted for the monorail several times but the mayor and the city council have been against it from the beginning and they killed the deal for us.

More...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/250930_gaybank06.html

Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Wells Fargo dumped over gay 'agenda'
Focus on Family cites contributions made by bank

By DAVID MILSTEAD
SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE

Focus on the Family is looking for a new bank, saying it's dumping Wells Fargo for its "pro-homosexual agenda."

The Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Christian group told its followers about the move Thursday. Focus on the Family said that a "pivotal reason" the San Francisco-based bank is getting the ax is that its logo was used in a fund-raising campaign for a "fight against the 'anti-gay industry' -- a group that pro-gay organizations have stated includes Focus on the Family."

Wells Fargo had agreed to match contributions to a media-campaign fund for GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. But its logo got attached to a fund-raising Internet advertising campaign that raised Focus on the Family's ire.

I'm sure Focus on the Fascism was just a small pittance compared to the total assets that Wells Fargo has. The LBGT community, itself, is estimated to have upwards of $500 million in investable income, and no large bank would ever pass that up.

Melon

In the long run, these idiots will run out of options because eventually all major corps will be "gay-friendly." It's good for the greater business.

In the short run, Fords are pieces of shit anyway, so who'd buy one. :shrug:

I guess there couldn't be a business reason for the decision. Ford has denied the "pressure" reasoning for the change in advertising.

I guess once you start advertising in a gay publication, you are anti-gay if you stop.

Judah said:

"In one amazing example of the distributed intelligence that the Web has become, Aravosis published a clip from a trade publication which named the two Ford negotiators who cut the anti-gay deal with Wildmon: David Leitch and Ziad Ojakli. And then, overnight, the commenters on Aravosis’s blog figured out that Leitch and Ojakli were both former senior Bush White House officials."

:tsk:

nbcrusader said:
I guess there couldn't be a business reason for the decision. Ford has denied the "pressure" reasoning for the change in advertising.

I guess once you start advertising in a gay publication, you are anti-gay if you stop.

They can deny it all they want but let's be realistic. They should stick to their convictions and not bow to the pressure of groups like this, it's sad if you ask me.

MrsSpringsteen said:
They can deny it all they want but let's be realistic.

Huffington's opinions are reality?

I heard this report earlier on the news. One of the affected gay publications had a rather limited circulation. I think you can move your advertising dollars to publications with better circulations.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I would think a company like Ford would be well aware of circulation figures before advertising in any publication.

The decision on the exact publications those ads went into would have very little or nothing to do with Ford at all. Ford would simply approve a media campaign for the two particular brands (the story is about Jaguar & Range Rover ads), which naturally target young/single/affluent buyers. Their media buying agency goes and spends the money, chooses the publications etc.

deep said:

is not that bmw?

i am thinking of buying one next year

to go with my gay-friendly volvo

yes--was posting in a hurry and looking at cars online (coincidentally) while eating and misread something :huh: Just ignore me. I'll stay out of the car threads and head on back over to B&C. :reject:

deep said:
to go with my gay-friendly volvo

i, too, drive a soo gay s40. but its turbo charged and has all wheel drive to help me get started when things get...slippy.

as for this article, i can't say i'm surprised. at least these groups with dated and antiquated conceptions are coming up with semi interesting ways of fighting their fight - no matter how misplaced i feel it is.

joyfulgirl said:
I love my Ford Focus. :mad:

don't let me scrare you away

i have made many errors while posting

i enjoy your fym postings

even, if you are driving a "focus" (on the family) car :wink:

i'm beginning to wish i had a gay car.

:sad:

nah. i'll just walk and take public transportation and keep in shape and absolve myself from the guilt of causing global warming and the catastrophies that will inevitably fall us all.

deep said:

even, if you are driving a "focus" (on the family) car :wink:

:mad:

At least it's a fully-loaded ZX5. And more importantly, ONLY TWO MORE CAR PAYMENTS :hyper: Lunch is on me January 28, the day the last payment will be made. Then I will be forced to write Ford and tell them I will not buy another Ford until they start advertising in The Advocate again. :wink:

Ford doesn't care about supporting or boycotting the gay "lifestyle" (like it's a effing CHOICE people make - but that's another issue entirely! :rant: ) or the straight lifestyle or any of type of lifestyle. Ford cares about $$$$$s - and frankly, I'm quite certain it doesn't matter if they're God-fearing, holier-than-thou dollars or debaucherous, we're-here-for-your-sons-&-daughters dollars! :madspit:

I think a follow-up is in order:

Gay Ads Back On Track For Ford

Posted: December 14, 2005 5:00 pm ET

(Washington) Ford Motor Company on Wednesday agreed to almost all demands from LGBT groups following a hastily organized meeting earlier this week with the company over a claim by the American Family Association that the company had made a pact with it to end support of the LGBT community.

The AFA said it was ending a threatened boycott of Ford after the company agreed to pull advertising from the gay media and to stop funding LGBT organizations.

On Monday Ford met with LGBT leaders in a Washington hotel to hear their concerns about the AFA statement.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Ford said that it would feature all of its brands in a 2006 ad campaign in LGBT publications. Previously Ford was advertising only its Land Rover and Jaguar brands in the gay press.

"It is my hope that this will remove any ambiguity about Ford's desire to advertise to all important audiences and put this particular issue behind us," said the letter signed by Ford V.P. Joe W. Laymon.

The buying power of the LGBT community is estimated at $610 billion a year.

Without specifically mentioning the AFA by name, the company statement reaffirmed its commitment to its progressive workplace policies.

But despite a demand from LGBT leadership that Ford commit to maintaining its funding of gay rights groups the company was less definite.

"You asked directly whether Ford Motor Company will continue to support non-profit groups and events in the GLBT community. While we still support certain events, I know you understand that the business situation will limit the extent of our support in all communities in 2006," Laymon's letter said.

Nevertheless, LGBT groups said they were encouraged by the general tone of the letter.

“We welcome today’s statement from Ford Motor Company and commend their firm stance in support of inclusion," the 19 LGBT civil rights groups said in a joint statement.

"It is an unequivocal reaffirmation of Ford’s historic commitment to our community and the core American values of fairness and equality. Moreover, it is conclusive proof of what Ford leaders have repeatedly assured us -- that there never was any deal with anti-LGBT organizations concerning Ford’s support for our community.

The AFA has not commented on the Ford commitment to the gay community.

“We applaud Ford Motor for taking such a firm stand on behalf of our community — pledging to continue support for our community’s organizations and events, and increasing — not decreasing — its advertising in our community’s publications to include all Ford brands," said Matt Foreman, Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. "This is a very positive, welcome outcome."

“Ford’s action is a positive outcome and win for equality and fairness,” said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese. “Ford has sent a powerful signal that corporate America values its gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees and consumers."

The AFA has a long history of using boycotts to try to force companies to adhere to a strict conservative view, but with mixed success.

It boycotted Proctor and Gamble last year after the Cincinnati-based P&G supported the repeal of an anti-gay law in that city.

In April AFA declared victory over Proctor & Gamble after the company ended most of its advertising in the gay media. The group claimed that more than 300,000 people had signed pledges not to buy P&G products.

The effect on P&G is believed to be one of the major reasons Microsoft decided to withdraw its support of a gay rights bill in the state of Washington following a meeting with a conservative Christian leader. Following outrage from the company's gay workers and LGBT rights groups in Washington the company reversed course again and announced it would support gay rights measures in the future.

In May, the AFA took aim at Kraft Foods - stopping just short of calling for a full boycott - for sponsoring the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago. Kraft has not budged in its support for the games.

Earlier this month another Conservative Christian group, Focus on the Family, announced it was withdrawing its funds from Wells Fargo because of the banks involvement in pro-gay causes.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom