"Is your car gay?" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I would think a company like Ford would be well aware of circulation figures before advertising in any publication.
The decision on the exact publications those ads went into would have very little or nothing to do with Ford at all. Ford would simply approve a media campaign for the two particular brands (the story is about Jaguar & Range Rover ads), which naturally target young/single/affluent buyers. Their media buying agency goes and spends the money, chooses the publications etc.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

is not that bmw?

i am thinking of buying one next year

to go with my gay-friendly volvo
yes--was posting in a hurry and looking at cars online (coincidentally) while eating and misread something Just ignore me. I'll stay out of the car threads and head on back over to B&C.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
to go with my gay-friendly volvo
i, too, drive a soo gay s40. but its turbo charged and has all wheel drive to help me get started when things get...slippy.

as for this article, i can't say i'm surprised. at least these groups with dated and antiquated conceptions are coming up with semi interesting ways of fighting their fight - no matter how misplaced i feel it is.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

In the short run, Fords are pieces of shit anyway, so who'd buy one.

exactly
Old 12-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I love my Ford Focus.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Re: "Is your car gay?"

Quote:
that support “the homosexual agenda.” [/B]

Another consipracy?

I can think of a lot of "agendas"...
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Fix
Or
Replace
Daily
Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I love my Ford Focus.
don't let me scrare you away

i have made many errors while posting

i enjoy your fym postings

even, if you are driving a "focus" (on the family) car
Old 12-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm beginning to wish i had a gay car.

nah. i'll just walk and take public transportation and keep in shape and absolve myself from the guilt of causing global warming and the catastrophies that will inevitably fall us all.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

even, if you are driving a "focus" (on the family) car

At least it's a fully-loaded ZX5. And more importantly, ONLY TWO MORE CAR PAYMENTS Lunch is on me January 28, the day the last payment will be made. Then I will be forced to write Ford and tell them I will not buy another Ford until they start advertising in The Advocate again.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Ford doesn't care about supporting or boycotting the gay "lifestyle" (like it's a effing CHOICE people make - but that's another issue entirely! ) or the straight lifestyle or any of type of lifestyle. Ford cares about $$$$$s - and frankly, I'm quite certain it doesn't matter if they're God-fearing, holier-than-thou dollars or debaucherous, we're-here-for-your-sons-&-daughters dollars!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

I think a follow-up is in order:

Quote:
Gay Ads Back On Track For Ford

Posted: December 14, 2005 5:00 pm ET

(Washington) Ford Motor Company on Wednesday agreed to almost all demands from LGBT groups following a hastily organized meeting earlier this week with the company over a claim by the American Family Association that the company had made a pact with it to end support of the LGBT community.

The AFA said it was ending a threatened boycott of Ford after the company agreed to pull advertising from the gay media and to stop funding LGBT organizations.

On Monday Ford met with LGBT leaders in a Washington hotel to hear their concerns about the AFA statement.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Ford said that it would feature all of its brands in a 2006 ad campaign in LGBT publications. Previously Ford was advertising only its Land Rover and Jaguar brands in the gay press.

"It is my hope that this will remove any ambiguity about Ford's desire to advertise to all important audiences and put this particular issue behind us," said the letter signed by Ford V.P. Joe W. Laymon.

The buying power of the LGBT community is estimated at $610 billion a year.

Without specifically mentioning the AFA by name, the company statement reaffirmed its commitment to its progressive workplace policies.

But despite a demand from LGBT leadership that Ford commit to maintaining its funding of gay rights groups the company was less definite.

"You asked directly whether Ford Motor Company will continue to support non-profit groups and events in the GLBT community. While we still support certain events, I know you understand that the business situation will limit the extent of our support in all communities in 2006," Laymon's letter said.

Nevertheless, LGBT groups said they were encouraged by the general tone of the letter.

“We welcome today’s statement from Ford Motor Company and commend their firm stance in support of inclusion," the 19 LGBT civil rights groups said in a joint statement.

"It is an unequivocal reaffirmation of Ford’s historic commitment to our community and the core American values of fairness and equality. Moreover, it is conclusive proof of what Ford leaders have repeatedly assured us -- that there never was any deal with anti-LGBT organizations concerning Ford’s support for our community.

The AFA has not commented on the Ford commitment to the gay community.

“We applaud Ford Motor for taking such a firm stand on behalf of our community — pledging to continue support for our community’s organizations and events, and increasing — not decreasing — its advertising in our community’s publications to include all Ford brands," said Matt Foreman, Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. "This is a very positive, welcome outcome."

“Ford’s action is a positive outcome and win for equality and fairness,” said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese. “Ford has sent a powerful signal that corporate America values its gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees and consumers."

The AFA has a long history of using boycotts to try to force companies to adhere to a strict conservative view, but with mixed success.

It boycotted Proctor and Gamble last year after the Cincinnati-based P&G supported the repeal of an anti-gay law in that city.

In April AFA declared victory over Proctor & Gamble after the company ended most of its advertising in the gay media. The group claimed that more than 300,000 people had signed pledges not to buy P&G products.

The effect on P&G is believed to be one of the major reasons Microsoft decided to withdraw its support of a gay rights bill in the state of Washington following a meeting with a conservative Christian leader. Following outrage from the company's gay workers and LGBT rights groups in Washington the company reversed course again and announced it would support gay rights measures in the future.

In May, the AFA took aim at Kraft Foods - stopping just short of calling for a full boycott - for sponsoring the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago. Kraft has not budged in its support for the games.

Earlier this month another Conservative Christian group, Focus on the Family, announced it was withdrawing its funds from Wells Fargo because of the banks involvement in pro-gay causes.
Melon
Old 12-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You know what car is gay?

The Weiner Mobile. Just think about it.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:55 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Ah this is all shite unless you have the money/credit/desire. my car goes and that's about all I know about it.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Pragmatic capitalism will always prevail.