Is Venezuela the China of South America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, Venezuela isn't China. They've got a very popular, charismatic leader who is scorned by the powerful and adored by the marginalized.

Venezuela is the United States of South America: it thinks of itself as the model for all countries to model itself after and doesn't give a shit about anyone else but itself.

The way Chavez trumpets Ché Guevara is no different than how Republicans use the "Founding Fathers" to further its reactionary agenda--even if the "Founding Fathers" were anything but.

Melon

melon......is that really Orson Welles in your avatar?????

:corn: .....I just noticed this new Smiley.......

melon said:
Venezuela is the United States of South America: it thinks of itself as the model for all countries to model itself after and doesn't give a shit about anyone else but itself.

The way Chavez trumpets Ché Guevara is no different than how Republicans use the "Founding Fathers" to further its reactionary agenda--even if the "Founding Fathers" were anything but.

Melon

didn't think of it that way, but it's an interesting comparison.

Re: Re: reply

nbcrusader said:

I don't follow. Are Wiki links suspect in some fashion? I thought many considered Wiki to be acceptably neutral.

They're written by anyone who wants to enter the "data". So many are filled with BS it's ridiculous. Now consider a controversial figure such as this and imagine the bias thrown in.

Re: Re: Re: reply

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They're written by anyone who wants to enter the "data". So many are filled with BS it's ridiculous. Now consider a controversial figure such as this and imagine the bias thrown in.

Have you read the wiki info on Chavez yet??

Re: Re: Re: reply

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think you're being a bit too contrarian here. The wikipedia folks are anal retentive when it comes to neutral POV.

Chances are, the article contains a section on his controversy, but also will describe his appeal.

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Re: reply

melon said:

I think you're being a bit too contrarian here. The wikipedia folks are anal retentive when it comes to neutral POV.

Well this may be true, but they lack any true fact checking. I've read many that have completely false information. And I'm saying that the bias can be inadvertently found in the fallacies...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: reply

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well this may be true, but they lack any true fact checking. I've read many that have completely false information. And I'm saying that the bias can be inadvertently found in the fallacies...

You probably read that article regarding the false biography of John Siegenthaler, Sr. being listed as part of the conspiracy to kill JFK. That's an extreme example for that site, and is not reflective of the average article there. In fact, a study said that Wikipedia contains the same level of error as a standard encyclopedia, which is an astounding testament to their drive for accuracy. It's not perfect, but hey...who doesn't have bias? That's why I look at everything critically.

I would not let your distate for a certain poster here color an otherwise interesting site.

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: reply

melon said:

You probably read that article regarding the false biography of John Siegenthaler, Sr. being listed as part of the conspiracy to kill JFK. That's an extreme example for that site, and is not reflective of the average article there. In fact, a study said that Wikipedia contains the same level of error as a standard encyclopedia, which is an astounding testament to their drive for accuracy. It's not perfect, but hey...who doesn't have bias? That's why I look at everything critically.

I would not let your distate for a certain poster here color an otherwise interesting site.

Melon

Don't get me wrong, I still use it pretty often. Usually as a starting point.

But I've come across some major errors in band bios and what not. In fact someone on here pointed out some errors in U2's entry, they were later corrected.

I use links to Wikipedia on my site, but I'm aware of the limitations of this resource. They give enough information to be useful, but do have biases. But then, everything in history is bias; there are no real facts.

melon said:

Melon

But Chavez/Venezuela are different, and progressive, from Bush/U.S. in other ways...such as on gay rights (though a lot of work remains to be done and, predictably, the Catholic Church has been an obstacle for the politicians):

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/articles.php?artno=1622

On December 15, 2002, three years after the new constitution of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela was adopted, President Hugo Chavez said on his weekly television program Alo Presidente that a big mistake had been made in 1999 during the National Constituent Assembly, when the rights of gays and lesbians were left out of the new constitution.

Despite the problems, Heisler Vaamonde of the Revolutionary Gay Movement argued that there have been some concrete gains for gay and lesbian rights under the Chavez government. "We've celebrated the international day of gay rights every year since the beginning of the Chavez government". Gay pride marches were previously impeded by the right. "This year, the Alcalde mayor participated, the Ministry of Culture and the National Council of Culture. For the first time in Venezuelan history the government has been directly represented at Gay Pride Day."

Last edited:

And how many ways can one interpret a word.......{check the dictionary and how it's said}.........I follow many links and threads.........trust no one and no thing....ultimately, does it matter at all?

:corn:

Judah said:
But Chavez/Venezuela are different, and progressive, from Bush/U.S. in other ways...such as on gay rights (though a lot of work remains to be done and, predictably, the Catholic Church has been an obstacle for the politicians.

Very interesting. Anyone who pisses off the Catholic Church catches my attention. :wink:

Melon

Chavez isn't one of my favorite leaders, to put it mildly. But he's only one of many jerks who are currently running countries. Look at the guy who's running Zimbabwe. He's totally odious.

Back
Top Bottom