Is universe endless and eternally lasting? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Is universe endless and eternally lasting?

What do you think?

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"It's hard being Bono..." - Bono

"I would like to apologize for last year's speech. Apparently i went on for quite a bit." - Edge at the Grammys

"Live is where we live." - Larry

Old 03-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #2
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:43 PM
sure

Old 03-14-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Yes it is.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Yes and no. But with the Spirit, the answer is yes and yes.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:31 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 PM
I always liked the oscillating universe theory better. Beginnings and ends for all eternity...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 03-14-2002, 10:32 PM   #6
The Fly

Spiritually or scientifically?
Spiritually - it can never be destroyed, and nothing in it can be destroyed, merely changed in form
Scientifically - it can never be destroyed, and nothing in it can be destroyed, merely changed in form

Hmm...
Old 03-14-2002, 11:50 PM   #7
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

I believe it is, but...
we cant really know anything for sure
Old 03-15-2002, 01:52 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Modern scientific theories indicate that the universe is expanding (from one specific point), meaning that the universe existed at that point, at one time.

In other words, the universe had a beginning and would thus not be "eternally lasting".

Beyond that, modern theories suggest that there is a specific amount of matter to the universe, thus it's also not endless.

There's a question of whether or not there's enough matter to cause the universe collapse on itself again, but that addresses how and whether the universe will end, another question entirely.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:50 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 07:43 AM
so how will the universe end then?

I guess all matter has gravitational energy, so eventually the expanding universe will start to contract. As it contracts it will speed up, until it basically implodes and leaves nothing but a black hole of anti matter.

Also, if we can't see the edge of the universe, how do we know there aren't parallell universes?

We could be one galaxy of a zillion galaxies in one universe in a gazillion universes that are all but a figment of an elephants imagination.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:16 PM   #10
The Fly

Hopefully, there will be enough matter in the universe so that the universe will collapse on itself and a new one can begin. If it ends in ice, there will be no chance for life to begin once again, but merely a cold icy end.
However, if we find the formula to tie together the theories of relativity and the quantum, either way, it doesn't mean the universe will truly end...
Old 03-15-2002, 05:39 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

According to the latest evidence there is not enough matter in the Universe to start a contraction. There for, the Universe will expand forever.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #12
War Child

Not only is the universe expanding (and, it seems, will so forever), but its expansion rate is increasing...something to do with "dark energy" (different from "dark matter") in the fabric of spacetime itself. Eventually, the universe will be a very lonely place as each galaxy (and perhaps each star) will be infinitely far apart from every other galaxy (and star).

The universe is supposedly around 14 billion to 18 billion years old...if it's going to expand forever, then we're currently part of a very young (teenaged) universe.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:51 AM   #13
The Fly

Location: garden grove, ca, usa, Earth, Sol, milkyway, cluster 5 in the universe
If you have a powerful enough telescope you can see the back of your head with it.

theres my two cents on the enormity of hte universe... although i took it from einstein
Old 03-16-2002, 06:03 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Judah:
Not only is the universe expanding (and, it seems, will so forever), but its expansion rate is increasing...something to do with "dark energy" (different from "dark matter") in the fabric of spacetime itself. Eventually, the universe will be a very lonely place as each galaxy (and perhaps each star) will be infinitely far apart from every other galaxy (and star).

The universe is supposedly around 14 billion to 18 billion years old...if it's going to expand forever, then we're currently part of a very young (teenaged) universe.
I agree with this. If anyone wants to know more, they should read the cover article of this month's Discover magazine.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:37 PM   #15
I serve MacPhisto

My army Chaplain had a great explanation of it when I asked him about eternal life, eternity and the universe; he said imagine the universe, and where it ends. What is at the end of the universe, a sign that says "end of the universe" and maybe a big wall where it ends. Then imagine if that wall had a door, and you opened it. What would be on the other side? I answered him with "i suppose more space", and he said "exactly, more space, so you see the universe does go on forever, just like time".

Your own interpretation of it defines it for YOU but it will go on with or without you.