Is This True??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Is This True???

If it is, maybe it wasn't a slip of the tongue when Bush said "Crusade" in reference to the fight against terror! I really hope this is a joke, but it wouldn't at all surprise me...

This is regarding the U.S. Marines fighting in Iraq. So much for 'thou shalt not kill'

'A Christian's Duty' by Matt Bivens

Before this Administration came along, it was hard to imagine that something as intensely personal and private as a man's prayer before going into battle could be appropriated in a business-like fashion. Now, according to "A Christian's Duty in Time of War" -- a pamphlet given out to thousands of Marines in Iraq -- our soldiers in the war zone are supposed to fill out a form pledging to pray every day for George Bush. The pamphlet has a tear-out section which the soldier is to sign and mail to the president: "I have committed to pray for you, your family, your staff ..." The pamphlets were created by In Touch Ministries, an evangelical group that says "We may not all be in the military, but we are all engaged in warfare ... spiritual warfare."

Today's prayer: "Pray that the President and his advisers will be strong and courageous to do what is right regardless of critics." (Translation: Pray that, even if all agree this war is a horrific catastrophe, even if Congress leaps to its feet in anger and despair, even if millions of Americans pour into the streets begging to bring you home -- even then, pray that the president will wave aside his critics and order you forward.) Wednesday's: "Pray that the President and his advisers will be safe, healthy, well-rested and free from fear." (Well-rested?) Friday's prayer cuts to the chase: "Pray that the President and his advisers will recognize their divine appointment ..." It includes some helpfully illuminating scripture, Romans 13:1: "Every person is to be in subjugation to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God."

Old 04-03-2003, 10:53 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Don't know if it is true, but it would make sense to pray for the wisdom of your boss.

As for the text, I don't like the wording "divine appointment" in this context. It makes it sound like something "special" or out of the ordinary. The concept that "For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God" demonstrates that God is Sovereign - not that certain leaders are special because they were chosen by God.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Who decides what is Christian duty? How about those who aren't Christian at all?

I don't like the tone of the prayer. The "engaged in spiritual warfare" part makes me want to vomit up my dinner, frankly.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Who decides what is Christian duty?
The Bible.

The general ideas in the pamphlet are Scripturally based, including the idea of spiritual warfare (which has nothing to do with soldiers, combat or the situation in Iraq).
Old 04-03-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Right on, nb.
ABC confirms they were handed out (they got the info from an embedded journalist), but they are not required to do anything with it. They are being asked to, is all. I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:38 PM   #6
Babyface

Local Time: 09:26 AM
It is a brain washing exercise. Similar to what the Maoist did in China or see Kim in North Korea, bless our Dear Leader.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
New Yorker

the leader is good, the leader is great, i surrender my will as of this date.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:01 AM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:26 PM

Both sides are misusing religion. It just makes me sick. May God have mercy on us for dragging his name through the mud like this.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The Bible.
I am a Roman Catholic, equally as Christian as you, but as you know, we do not believe the Bible alone is the final authority.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:57 AM   #10
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 06:26 AM
anitram:

Can we agree that God is the final authority?

Michael G:

That's really an abuse of Religion!
And that's one of the things which scares me:
The US, not a secular country use rethorics which we know from history books when King Richard and Co. go to their holy crusade to "free" the holy Jerusalem. I haven't met many christians here who are not affraid of this mixture of war and religion

Klaus
Old 04-04-2003, 05:10 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

As a Christian, this makes me distinctly uncomfortable.

Old 04-04-2003, 05:13 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Both sides are misusing religion. It just makes me sick. May God have mercy on us for dragging his name through the mud like this.
:nod:

Is this the apocalypse?
Old 04-04-2003, 05:17 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 AM
"Divinely appointed"? So suddenly to criticise the President is wrong because he's "divinely appointed"?

Quote:
It includes some helpfully illuminating scripture, Romans 13:1: "Every person is to be in subjugation to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God."

So...according to these people, people shouldn't resist Bush because he's "divinely appointed" - presumably then the Iraqi people should also refrain from resisting Saddam's rule because he's in a position of authority also. What about people in North Korea? Zimbabwe? Saudi Arabia? Presumably according to this logic, the people of those countries can't resist their leadership either, no matter how abhorrent its human rights abuses.

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes: "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
Old 04-04-2003, 10:24 AM   #14
New Yorker

Well, as someone else mentioned there is religious warfare being used by both sides. Does anyone remember the bin Laden tapes praising Allah for the successful U.S. attacks?

Interesting though that I read the same Christian bible everyone else does which makes me NOT want to kill people for any reason.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:26 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I am a Roman Catholic, equally as Christian as you, but as you know, we do not believe the Bible alone is the final authority.
Okay, I guess that would be the subject of a different discussion.

Peace brother.